• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Server Upgrade

• Owner

Hey Gang,

I've gone forward I'm now upgrading servers again. Yeap, 1,700 to 1,900 people per day tends to burn a hole in the CPU, then there is over 750 MB of data now and the MySQL server is wanting more memory. We are currently tapped out of memory. I've got the new server purchased and started setting up the software LAMP. (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) It going to take me some time to get all the software current them I can move the data over. I'll keep this thread updated as I go along. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner

I'm going to be delayed. I've got the server fired up and started going through all the software to upgrade and install what we need. The main Linux software updater ran then blocked the update from being applied. Stupid software is whining that the software is out of date and really needs to be updated. Then at the same time the software that does this said that it didn't want to update right away but starting in Feb 9. What?!?! I've got a support ticket in to have the System Admin force the update for me. All the server I've set up I've seen this before. 

I jumped from software to security and attempted to get all the firewall and security stuff configured. This is the second time I've seen the server setup without a firewall. I had to manually install the software and now in the process of setting up the firewall rules by hand. Ugh...

I've still got to configure Apache Server (HTML Server), Then configure and tune the MySQL Server (Database that holds the website data), and PHP compiler needs tuning yet too. This is what renders the software code into HTML code that you all see. We now have 8GB of RAM and 4 cores of processor power with 120 GB of hard drive. Our old server that is maxed out is 4 GB of RAM, 2 Processor cores, and 90 GB of hard drive.

I've still got other software and stuff to set up as well. Like I want to return back to the ElasticSearch and the Redis Cache Software which really did improve speed for the M73M site. We will have enough memory then to run these. The big problem is more people on at one time more RAM and CPU power is needed. We on average have about 60 to 200 people and web crawler on at one time. Yeah, I know a lot of you might see there is only a handful of logged in people but all the lurkers and guest count as well. Then you have all the search engines crawling the site as well. These hidden connections are counted but you don't see typically.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I've not forgotten the upgrade. I've been hit with several server issues on the new side from software setup issues. Then Domain name missing which I should get a free domain with my purchase and didn't get set up. Then Now I'm missing the PHP bind to the Apache so the PHP software will not start up. I'm tossed back to the hosting company to fix and straighten out. 

We are running out of actual usable server memory. I'm working on this daily and hoping to fix this very soon.

well I can already tell that the server is faster,   

The last couple months it has been pretty slow from the point of hitting submit to the point of it actually posting.   I figured that was the memory limit being reached.  

upward and onward

• Owner
35 minutes ago, dripley said:

Congratulations on accomplishing a rare thing. :tongue:

So good I found out that I killed to the point the server was in RESCUE MODE. :sofa: But I got the caching software installed and operational now. I'll be keeping an eye on the server and keep tweaking till I get it running true and fast. Like my truck.

• Like 1

• Owner

Web Servers are kind of like Cummins with a Quadzilla. You running long and hard eventually not enough power to hold the load so you upgrade injectors and retune the Quadzilla. What happened is our past server couldn't keep up with the 1,700+ people per day. Now I've upgraded and it handling the load well but I'm tweaking the server to get everything all fired back up again. I had to pull software out that gave better search features and speed. Now I'm putting them back in again and got to set this all back up. 

In a nutshell... LAMP

Linux

Apache

MySQL

PHP

Now I'm adding...

Redis

ElasticSearch