• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The only tjing did to mine at the time was eliminate the connector and solder the wire together with the intention of replacing later. Later has not gotten hear yet. But even with that I saw an AC voltage drop of .035 to .01. Hope to adress mine while I have head off next week.

I have a couple of questions, just started this today

1. my charge cable is molded into a rectangular block at the alternator, do I need to pull it out of that or as I'm thinking just cut it at the junction of the larger loom at the VP and go to 150amp/200amp charge fuse then passenger battery or is it removed because a heavier cable is used ? the molded block will hold the wires quite good

2. I'm not taking the charge wire out of the loom on the drivers side I'm just going to cut it right where it enters and exits the large loom, it is too short to leave it in the large loom and use it for the timing case earth so will just make another one

• Owner
On 3/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, gipperkid said:

@Mopar1973Man Reading through the ground mod again. Is the ground in the above picture is made from the piece on the passenger side and the splice on the driver side? And where does it ground to? If I overlooked it, sorry in advance.

Yes, that was made from the passenger side wire. I reused everything and no issues. Bigger cable isn't needed for the stock alternator. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the process of doing the W-T ground mod. I decided to just make a new alternator charge cable and new ground from the driver battery to block. The insulation was dry and cracked on the old wire. Anyway, I bought bare copper lugs, but should I have gone with tinned copper lugs? 

just finished this on mine tonight, 150amp resettable fuse bolted to right side battery tray, nice tidy job.

Next is fuel transfer pump relay, larger fuel lines from tank to pump then sort the seat belt warning light out, then I just might jump and get a quad but import duty and VAT is putting me off a bit, we'll see

Got my ground mod done. Decided to go with new cables since the insulation looked brittle on the existing wires. I attempted to buy lugs and crimpers off Amazon, but it made some of the most terrible crimps I have ever seen. So I had cables made for less money anyway. I went with 4 AWG for the charge cable and ground, and used a 150 amp mega fuse holder for the alternator. Looks clean and hopefully reduces ac noise. Still have to retest the ac noise.

Don't mind my dirty engine bay. And that crusty positive terminal has been cleaned.

IMG_20190421_132310.jpg

IMG_20190421_132320.jpg