• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

So I suspect the alternator had an internal short then. It is causing me concern when I hear so much about alternators getting smokin hot recently. I'm getting to be an old duck (old quack) and never heard of this happening until recent. Brings the question to mind if there is something in the newer or more recnt alternators that is cheaply built or some corner cut. They can sure take out a good PCM as we've seen with Mike Nelsons truck.

Edited by JAG1

What does this Mod do exactly? Moparman suggested I try this next with issues I'm having. No throttle above 1500 rpms.

Are my.codes I'm getting P1689 P1698 P1693

My original post is under I have dreaded p1689 code. 

So what does this mod do? Fix? Or correct? And how or why do we do this for?

Still learning so very curious. 

Thank you Eviltwisted1 

The diodes looked burnt, but I suspect that's because of a/c noise caused by the bad grounds correct? I'm goin to do the  @W-Tground mod along with the pcm ground mod, replace my 140amp fuse and a reman alternator today and all "should" be good I hope... wish me luck!

@Eviltwisted1 check out @W-T's Ground Reference article 

@IBMobile I'm having a brain fart right now... whats the point of installing my new 140amp fuse at the pdc if the charge wire isn't going there anymore? If something were to overload again, there will be no fuse in this new system to pop and prevent further damage right? 

6 hours ago, Eviltwisted1 said:

What does this Mod do exactly? Moparman suggested I try this next with issues I'm having. No throttle above 1500 rpms.

Are my.codes I'm getting P1689 P1698 P1693

My original post is under I have dreaded p1689 code. 

So what does this mod do? Fix? Or correct? And how or why do we do this for?

Still learning so very curious. 

Thank you Eviltwisted1 

Going to tag @Mopar1973Man on this because l cant seem to link anything on this tablet. If you are electrical savy the original WT article explains in depth. The mod helps straighten out some short comings in the original design. One thing we have all learned here is how quirky the electrical system can be. Your problem could esily be electrical and not mechanical. I just dont know, not great with electrical myself. Will the mod solve your problem, maybe not. But it is worth doing. I read your other threads but dont remember you mentioning the 1698 code before.  Makes me think your priblem is more electrical.

Edited by dripley

Would this WT Mod fix my issues I'm having? Or atleast any chance.of it? Still cant figure.out why I cant get this figured.out still

Everything that has been suggested so far i have done with no change.this far. I'm trying to decide if it worth time and a chance that this Mod could fix mine ( i realize it will help in future with issues) or is it impossible to tell if this will fix it or not? Still have same codes 1689, 1698 1693 and still only idle or 1500rpms that's it .

So I'm trying to figure.out what is best use of time without wasting $$ I Do Not have( any extra.i would have or could get ( planning in the $200 for mechanic)  unless I can figure this out with help of all yall.

@Mopar1973Man Thank you so very much for the help and time for not only.me.but all of us with issues.

Is there anything else that you could suggest i.do or where to look? I cant get a.fuel pressure gauge to test output of vp( dont even know if that's possible to test on high side of vp . Bit from what I'm gathering that is 1.of issues is without high pressure fuel being pushed it will Never run up passed 1500rpms) this sound right? Or no? My crash course in diesel has consisted of about a month of cramming everything I've read and nothing has helped yet 

Thank you again Guys

• Owner
15 minutes ago, Eviltwisted1 said:

Still have same codes 1689, 1698 1693 and still only idle or 1500rpms that's it

Deal with the codes first... P1689 is a power of communication problem with the VP44. P1698 is a CCD bus issue. Then 1500 RPM problem is a ECM problem typically that has been damaged. I've seen a few being damaged PSG units on the VP44.

8 hours ago, RedRam said:

@Eviltwisted1 Just a thought, have you reset your APPS yet?

Yes sir reset all that when I was.doing testing for the apps it was high, it checked out good & and rest it

On 4/20/2020 at 4:54 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Deal with the codes first... P1689 is a power of communication problem with the VP44. P1698 is a CCD bus issue. Then 1500 RPM problem is a ECM problem typically that has been damaged. I've seen a few being damaged PSG units on the VP44.

When you say BUS problem?  Forgive me but what does that mean exactly? 

So do I have 3 different problems? Or is it 1.of these effects something else and that will throw the other codes. 

I'm guessing the 1689 code is what is causing it not to rev up like it should? And therefore not come alive.per say( turbo kicking in and all that? Is this correct so far?

Then the 1698 is something entirely different  I need to figure that out in addition  to 1689 code?

And then I have a p1693 code flt in com module.

So 3 codes.in total. Are.they 3.seperate issues.that need.to be diagnosed differently and all are Affecting different things in system?

Or is it 1 or 2 need to be figured out and other straighten out?

Not sure if.im saying that correctly

I hope so. 

Screenshot_20200326-180314_RepairSol2.jpg

Screenshot_20200326-180033_RepairSol2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Im still waiting on the circuit breaker I ordered last month.... wtf! Its supposed to be in on Thursday so I should have it all done and buttoned up this coming weekend and I will let you guys know how it went

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Having the same problem ordering stuff too like it take forever now.

My circuit breaker got in today actually! So i'll probably finish it all up tomorrow, but i'm worried about my soldering skills to be honest haha

2 hours ago, RedRam said:

My circuit breaker got in today actually! So i'll probably finish it all up tomorrow, but i'm worried about my soldering skills to be honest haha

Just remeber the solder and the wire most get hot for the solder to bond properly. Just melting the solder is not enough.