• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

0216 Injection timing control

This code came up on my 2001 3500 Cummins 24v when we had very cold weather. Truck would not start.   Replaced filters and truck started back up but code is still on.  The truck runs but when I’m going down the road I get a dead pedal and no power but the truck is still running.  I take my foot off the pedal and accelerate again and truck is fine.  It will do this once and a while but it’s getting worse and worse.  I believe it’s the vp44? 

• Staff

Two stroke oil will help with jelling issues, but most important.... will help lub the timing piston inside the VP44. American diesel does not meet Bosch specs for fuel lubricity, but with 2 cycle oil added to the fuel, in your case I would do a double dose, it brings the fuel back to pre Obama fuel.with proper lubricity.

This may cause the 0216 code to go away, unlikely and may mean you have mechanical wear inside the vp44.

I drove 4 yrs with the 0216 code not going away by using 2 stroke oil. It could have left me stranded without warning at anytime as most 0216 codes will cause the truck to shut down till the injection pump is changed

BTW,.

Driply, what do we have to do to earn a free meal coupons for CFA ? LOL

Edited by JAG1

40 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I drove 4 yrs with the 0216 code not going away by using 2 stroke oil.

I drove mine for over a year and 23,000 miles with the 0216 code.  The problem started at 64,000 miles on the OEM pump and as time went on the engine went into limp mode more frequently and finally on every trip.  But, I learned how to drive around the limp mode feature until I got the VP44 pump replaced.

As @JAG1 mentions, two-stroke oil may help you along with a warm up in weather, at least until you can budget for a replacement VP44.

- John

• Like 1

• Staff

I ran twice a year for 4 years down to nevada on two stroke with the 0216 code. Mine started about the same mileage as yours.... around 60,000  never going into limp mode, but started having hard starts about 400 miles from home. I made it back and even drove to Idaho for M73M's shop near Riggins to change it out. He does real good work and is out in a nice part of the country.