• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What does the red light on my grounds mean?

Mopar1973Man

Could be in an area with extreme induction, like an induction welder or annealer. The rest of the nuts look like stainless, possibly brass. The one that's glowing red, someone replaced with a ferrous metal (like a grade 5 or grade 8 steel nut). The induction process creates heat in all ferrous metals within a certain radius. I've seen this more than once. Things are not always as they seem.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

The answer is in my previous comment 

I disagree. I don't think it's loose at all. Look at the washer behind the nut, and the lug itself. Not glowing. Neither is the stud. Just the nut. This is induction my friend. Likely someone dropped/lost the brass or stainless but, and grabbed a replacement out of the bolt bin. Common rookie mistake.

Source: I am an Electrical Engineering Technologist that works in steel mills, two of which have ERW induction welding and annealing. I have seen this condition.

Obviously I can't be 100% without seeing the bigger picture, but this looks all too familiar.

28 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Just a little, enough to put out some heat

May I never be close enough to feel the heat.

30 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

Source: I am an Electrical Engineering Technologist that works in steel mills, two of which have ERW induction welding and annealing. I have seen this condition.

I have found the problem now. I dont know about @Dieselfuture but I am off the lick it and see if its hot engineering school.

@kzimmer, I mean no disrespect just having a little fun. I do respect your knowledge.

• Haha 1

Haha no worries here guys, sometimes I forget not everyone is serious 100% of the time! I just got home from work. Still in work mode. I'm on day 3 of 20. After 1 day off. Hang on, I'll finish up this glass of Jack on ice and get out of work mode. Be right back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

Haha no worries here guys, sometimes I forget not everyone is serious 100% of the time! I just got home from work. Still in work mode. I'm on day 3 of 20. After 1 day off. Hang on, I'll finish up this glass of Jack on ice and get out of work mode. Be right back.

Got hit with my first problem getting out of the truck this am and they did not stop until I left. I feel a week of Mondays coming on. Trying not to count mine.

20190205_202332.jpg.864f11323382eba585c891a6287a0d79.jpg

• Haha 1

• Staff

So you guys sayin' that you get that from a little iron with everything else non ferrous in the circuit. What about the battery post nuts those are iron. No hurry, but can you explain induction. Thank you I.A.

• Owner
1 hour ago, dripley said:

Got hit with my first problem getting out of the truck this am and they did not stop until I left. I feel a week of Mondays coming on. Trying not to count mine.

20190205_202332.jpg.864f11323382eba585c891a6287a0d79.jpg

Oh yeah, I know the feelling... Like myself, I've got my herbal way of relaxing... Work mode fading away...:whistle:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

So you guys sayin' that you get that from a little iron with everything else non ferrous in the circuit. What about the battery post nuts those are iron. No hurry, but can you explain induction. Thank you I.A.

Whoa!!! Back on topic.

Guest 04Mach1
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Oh yeah, I know the feelling... Like myself, I've got my herbal way of relaxing... Work mode fading away...:whistle:

Lol:lol: Everytime I see reference to weed made on here I think of a Katt Williams skit.

Best one I had.  Sold D.C. Power units.  Called out to house boat install.  They said that my power unit had a electrical leak because it was smoking.  They had run a ground wire to the unit from the main batteries, even though it was mounted on the steel hull.  When I metered the body to a separate ground I got 3 volts.  When I chased the ground wire back to the battery I found it off the ground battery terminal by one.  So basically they had a 6 volt toaster set up.  They were running 6 volts to the ground connection and then dissipating it through the Aluminum body to ground.

The good news is I got there before they left for a 4 day trip to a NASCAR race.  Would have melted something.

Michael

15 hours ago, dripley said:

but I am off the lick it and see if its hot

Bingo.  That's the proper test for this issue.  It looks cherry flavored.

@JAG1, induction is created when current is passed through coil of wire that creates an electromagnetic field.  This field can be used to anneal and heat treat metal, 'inducing' the current into the conductor, or if a magnet is introduced to the coil, it can cause motion (think two magnets on a AA battery passing through a coil of copper wire), though this is backwards from the above scenario.

@kzimmer I haven't thought about my engineering physics classes in a good while, and now you've got me having flashbacks to the curl operation and making sure my thumb was facing the right way.

Edited by trreed
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1