• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47RE Valve body - Single to Triple Disk Converter

I currently have a valve body that was "Professionally" rebuilt with a TransGo SK TFOD-Diesel shift kit. I had a single disk converter at the time. I understand that the shift kit has different procedures to follow whether you have a single or triple. I think this has to do with the size of hole drilled for the lockup circuit. Is there anything else?

I'm swapping in a Goerend 17SS triple disk converter, and a billet input shaft. If I leave the valve body alone, what can I expect? Am I in danger of damaging something? Is lockup going to be violent, or will it be manageable?

If I need to rectify this, what am I looking at? New separator plate? Plugging holes?

I'd appreciate any personal knowledge of this thrown my way. @Dynamic is a busy man, but I'm sure he'll chime in if he gets some spare time.

Edited by kzimmer
Typo

My best advice would be to call Dave Goerend since you are installing his triple disc converter.  He is a nice guy and can answer any questions you have. 

I have his triple disc but also have his valvebody, billet shafts, billet internals, flex plate, deep pan, etc, etc, etc...which all came in a package.  I didn't have the pleasure of doing surgery on the valvebody so your questions are over my head. :think:

2 minutes ago, int3man said:

Be sure to do the W-T Ground fix if you haven't already.  Really smoothed my shift and Lock-up.  Plus it smoothed out my Cruise control, it used to Pulse like a Big Dog.  Was not comfortable.

Michael

I did my own ground mod a couple years ago, no issues. Any older vehicle I have owned, I usually upgrade the grounds.

I have to disagree with the ground fix smooth out shifting, unless you mean shift timing / back and forth shifting between 3rd/4th and lock/unlock.

I'm mostly concerned about if my lockup will be too violent with my valve body set up for a single.

My advise is to get a flax-plate if you have a stock one. Oftentimes the torque from lock up will rip the center out of the flex-plate, and you'll trash your transmission pump at the least, and the most destroy your transmission case as the TC spins around.

3 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

My advise is to get a flax-plate if you have a stock one. Oftentimes the torque from lock up will rip the center out of the flex-plate, and you'll trash your transmission pump at the least, and the most destroy your transmission case as the TC spins around.

Yep. I broke my flex plate. That's why my trans is out right now. I am going to get a BD black oxide flex plate. Doesn't appear to be any damage to the trans but I haven't pulled the pump yet. The converter stayed in place, so I don't anticipate damage. I guess we'll see.