• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

autozone starters

I made the mistake of trading in my oem starter when it went out. Should have kept it and had it rebuilt. Got a life time autojunk starter. First one lasted 44000 miles, second 33000 and this one is going out at 18000. Are they really that bad or am I just that unlucky? I looked online at a place called larry b and my starter would be over 500 dollars shipped to me. What brand starter are people on here using and are they lasting a long time. The oem starter lasted 111000 miles.Thanks

I’m still running the original starter at 320k, The only thing that has been done to it was the solonoid contacts were replaced at around 180k, for a cost of about 10 bucks, quite common for those contacts to wear pre maturely, could have been what your oem starter may have needed. The OEM starters are basically a high mileage item. Kind of Iike my original Bosch altenator, 320k miles and still works flawlesly, that’s an item if and when it goes out I would not trust a chain store replacement and would spend what ever it takes to replace or rebuild as good as original.

As as far as the chain store electrical junk, it’s just a crap shoot if you get a good one or not, and the odds not in your favor. They probably spend more time cleaning it up and making it look new than they do rebuilding it. 

• Like 2

I have had much better luck with mechanical parts than with electrical parts from the parts houses.  Had a BMW X5 previously that was a terrible vehicle from the start...required constant repair in and out of warranty.  Went to the parts houses whenever I could.  Went through 2 parts house starters and 3 alternators between 40k-60k miles.  The replacement parts house axle half shaft assemblies were good and the ac compressor did fine.  

It's funny how most look at a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi as a top tier vehicle whereas my first and only thought is what a piece of ?

• Like 1

Napa starter is 233. I really don't think the napa starter would be much different than an autozone one. I am tired of having to change it out. Someone on cummings forum suggested I get one from larry b and that one would run me 534 dollars. No way!! There is a starter rebuilder 25 miles away that sells and rebuilds all sorts of truck parts. I am going to call them tomorrow, they are closed on weekends.

Look on Rock Auto. A new Remy starter for 120 bucks plus shipping. Cant be much different to any other parts store starters. I know my starter sees alot of starts on a daily basis. Some days 5 or 6, most days 10 or 20. Just the nature of my job. Do you do a lot of sort tripping on a daily basis?

20 hours ago, dripley said:

Look on Rock Auto. A new Remy starter for 120 bucks plus shipping. Cant be much different to any other parts store starters. I know my starter sees alot of starts on a daily basis. Some days 5 or 6, most days 10 or 20. Just the nature of my job. Do you do a lot of sort tripping on a daily basis?

Not really, go to work in the morning, to the post office then home in the evening. I bought one from the parts rebuilding place. It was a china denso? It looked like a better starter than the autojunk one. Got it for 200 out the door, he was the owner and was a nice person. You don't find nice people at autojunk, just smart *** kids.  I have bought a lot of parts from rock auto. Good place to buy.

• Staff

Bought a reman starter from NAPA 8/21/08 for $189 with lifetime warranty.  I put about 54k miles on it.   

If you by any part for your vehicle that has a lifetime warranty on it do two thing.

1. Make two copies of the receipt.  Put one copy in an envelope with a copy of your registration and proof of insurance.  If your vehicle brakes down while on the road you have your part warranty with you.   This helped me when the crank speed sensor went bad while I was camping in Moab, UT.  Pulled the copy of the receipt from the glove box envelope, O'Reilly's, gave them a call and part good in stock.  Fixed that day with no charge. 

2. Put the second copy with the original receipt and file it away with other important papers for that vehicle.  A lot of store receipts go bad, the printing fades after a year, so hopefully the copy will last longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1