• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering box

My box has been seaping for a while as in wet nut, maybe a drop on the ground after being parked.  Imagine my surprise stepping out of the Jiffy mart to see a puddle.  Couldn't be mine right, after all it has only been seaping.  Checked after the next stop and sure enough the same puddle.  I had someone turn the wheel to the left as I was watching and it looked like a cow pissing on a flat rock.  I have been thinking about a Bluetop from looking at referrals here, but the website says "Out of stock".  

I already pulled the old seal and will install the new one when I get home early enough.  I am hoping it will seal, and stay sealed long enough to get a Bluetop when they are back in stock.  Guess my other options are Napa or Redtop if it will not seal.  I would prefer the added shaft support of a premium box and not just a reman.  What do you all think?

Good idea, I will try to give them a call.  I will update if the new seal holds or not, just a bandaid probably.  Original box with 225k.  Thanks for the replies...

Put a small score mark on your core so I'll know if I get it..lol

Edited by Dodge2k

• Owner

or... Like I was trying to do is just get a seal kit and seal the leaks. All the gears and parts typically are re-used and just readjusted for tight tolerances. There are only 2 bearings to replace. Seal kit is like $35 bucks if I remember right. Super easy to rebuild. The only thing it is a pain is the 22 BB's that go back in the worm gear. Not impossible but interesting. 

Talked to Ryan this afternoon and confirmed out of stock.  Picked up a large flat rate box and made it back to the post office before closing to ship it.  Turn around should be quick, so hopefully will be installing next week.  Looking forward to a non-leaking tight box...

Ryan called today and is shipping it out.  He put in a new control valve and added a .002 shim to the shaft bearings.  The ball bearing diameter was increassed by .0002 which should tighten things up.  I am pretty stoked and will probably start the install as soon as I get it.:thumb1:.    

2 hours ago, Dodge2k said:

Picked up the box this morning.  I installed the box along with 2 new hoses from Napa and a magnefine filter in the return line.  Put 20 miles on, so far so good.  Feels and drives great..  No leaks... Yeah:woot:

I'm on the search for a core, I can't afford any down time on my. Did you happen to get the 4 turn ratio or the quick 3 1/4 turn ratio?

I personally like my 4 turns. One time on my mud/crawler truck I used wrong helm and it was like driving a go cart, half a turn each way, it was so challenging to go straight with 54" tires I was scared. Then found a helm out of 4x4 combine that made it like factory steering. With hydraulic steering I could turn them tires in ruts with one finger, it was awesome,  but illegal on roads. Although I drive in town quite a bit and never got bothered by anyone. That was good 15 years ago, now not sure.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I personally like my 4 turns. One time on my mud/crawler truck I used wrong helm and it was like driving a go cart, half a turn each way, it was so challenging to go straight with 54" tires I was scared. Then found a helm out of 4x4 combine that made it like factory steering. With hydraulic steering I could turn them tires in ruts with one finger, it was awesome,  but illegal on roads. Although I drive in town quite a bit and never got bothered by anyone. That was good 15 years ago, now not sure.

I have a remanufactured box on the truck right now and it's 3 1/4 turn and i don't think I like it as much as the stock 4 turn. Seems like I'm having to play with the wheel too much driving on the highway

• Like 1

• Owner

Do NOT use a quick ratio box with larger than stock tires. I've got a quick ratio box on 245/75 R16 tires and its awesome. Tight steering and better response. 

My old box was a old 4 turn as well. I could of done a seal kit on it and been good. All the internal parts were excellent. Just the seals were shot. Even Ryan from @Blue-Top Steering said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my box but the input cap that I damaged from all the rust. 

Most steering boxes just need a seal kit, adjustment, and cleaned up.

I put on about 200 miles on Saturday and the verdict so far is "Worth It".  I did not have much slop to begin with, my steering was ok but is even better now.  The only things not upgraded on my steering system are the column and ball joints.  I still want to get a brace but I am in no hurry.  I prefer the style of the DOR steering brace.  

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to hijack the op but my brothers 99 is a dang job to drive. A good amount of slop, bumps make it wonder, and it's just not fun at all.  Ball joints are good, it's in alignment, we have been wondering if a new redhead box would help or if we should start else where??