• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

fighting through my scenario............

I am at a crossroads, just moved to California and it is time to deal with Smog and licensing the '01....  truck has 350k miles on it, trans synchros are tired in 3rd and 4th, door hinges are shot, leaks oil (either tappet cover or the vacuum pump)..  bed is in rough shape, little rust in the lower door skins...   So thinking, if I was going to make a change, now would be a good time.  So if I did make a change my wife would like me to get a non dually (we don't tow anything too large anymore so that is no issue) maybe a short bed would fit in the garage.   Maybe a 3rd gen would have 4 real doors... oops did I say 3rd gen????  So dilemna that could use some wisdom.....  are there big advantages to a 3rd gen over a 2nd gen?  I think '05 they started to make some real power....  I may not, now that I am in Cali, even really worry about 4x4 (my wife has a very capable AWD SUV) 

Ok, so 2nd gen vs 3rd gen....  obviously we all love 2nd gens here.  (ever try to find a clean used one that isn't priced out of this world?).  But I rely on regularly and trust this group to shed wisdom from both sides of the aisle (unlike our current landscape of professional politicians :-) ) 

I look forward to hearing good and bad about both.  

Thank you in advance!

**EDIT** I almost forgot... 1997 and older is smog exempt in California, so feel free to include this in the discussion.. 

Brian

Edited by portlandareae28
at my age how could you possible remember everything the first time?

Just now, portlandareae28 said:

I am not opposed to this, just far and few between for a nice one here.

Don’t be afraid to drive a fair distance to get a clean one. It will be worth it. Find one out here near western Montana and I’ll haul it out for ya! 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/windsor-clean-1995-dodge-12v-cummins/6799842090.html

herea a nice truck. 

32 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Don’t be afraid to drive a fair distance to get a clean one. It will be worth it. Find one out here near western Montana and I’ll haul it out for ya! 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/windsor-clean-1995-dodge-12v-cummins/6799842090.html

herea a nice truck. 

I guess 12v are still made of gold too!!!

I am not opposed to keeping my truck.  If I keep it it will get the repairs taken care of, and likely 3rd gen brakes and 4th gen steering.  Just trying to figure out if a different direction might not make more sense.  All used trucks will need something all the time.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/monte-rio-1997-dodge-ramx4-crewcab/6800515273.html

hoowah

• Like 1

• Staff
11 hours ago, portlandareae28 said:

I am not opposed to keeping my truck.  If I keep it it will get the repairs taken care of, and likely 3rd gen brakes and 4th gen steering.  Just trying to figure out if a different direction might not make more sense.  All used trucks will need something all the time.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/monte-rio-1997-dodge-ramx4-crewcab/6800515273.html

hoowah

I wouldn't be interested with that many mods. Frame extended and K&N Filter? That a sure stay away sign to me. Try finding  untouched and original. I had to pay 16 k for a nice 01. On the other hand, It is always least expensive to fix what you have if not too far gone.

Edited by JAG1

19 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I wouldn't be interested with that many mods. Frame extended and K&N Filter? That a sure stay away sign to me. Try finding  untouched and original. I had to pay 16 k for a nice 01. On the other hand, It is always least expensive to fix what you have if not too far gone.

That crew cab looks scary..  bed doesn't even seem to sit anywhere close.  THere is a 2001 local to me quad cab short bed 2wd I am just not sure on the 2wd yet..  but its really just mental as I have never put the dually in 4x4 in the 3+ years I have owned it.  I will just keep on plugging away at the little projects on my current truck, as I agree always cheaper to keep.

• Staff

I like that a lot of after market items are better than oem as long as there isn't so much that it you have to work late every night to get it done. California has way better weather for working on trucks. Oregon isn't right now.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Yes you have to back in one day and pull in forward the next

. It turns out that most 6.2's have monster moss and don't know how Dripley ended up in virginia on his migration route. Man... he's way off . 

11 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Yes you have to back in one day and pull in forward the next

. It turns out that most 6.2's have monster moss and don't know how Dripley ended up in virginia on his migration route. Man... he's way off . 

Chickens don't migrate :doh:. They just cross the road. To this day nobody knows why though.

• Like 1