• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gummed up VP44

Tried to start truck last week,(no codes) not getting enough fuel pressure through to some lines, I talked to local Bosch shop, told me pump is probably gummed up from setting for 8 yrs, I thought I drained most of the fuel out, but I'm sure some residual fuel remained. Anyway thinking of a way to un-gum it, thought of pulling pump and running brakecleen (suggestion from Bosch shop) through it while hand turning the pump. Welcome any suggestions, I already know if I can't get this cleaned I'll have to fork out the 1K for a reman pump.

• Owner
24 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

ATF dissolve diesel gum?

No. ATF will not clean that up. You'll need a solvent based cleaner but this will shorten the life of the VP44

WARNING: ATF should not be used because of the anti-scorching compounds, ash content is very high and friction modifiers. These will not burn at all and leave lots of ash deposits in your piston bowl and injector tips. ATF from back in the 1970s was nothing more that red dye hydraulic oil back in the day. Today it heavily modified lubricant to hold up to more heat, friction, and stress without burning. Not a good idea.

Xylene, Naptha, etc. There is a lot of products out there that contain these chemical make sure to not to overdose or overuse the product. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. ATF will not clean that up. You'll need a solvent based cleaner but this will shorten the life of the VP44

WARNING: ATF should not be used because of the anti-scorching compounds, ash content is very high and friction modifiers. These will not burn at all and leave lots of ash deposits in your piston bowl and injector tips. ATF from back in the 1970s was nothing more that red dye hydraulic oil back in the day. Today it heavily modified lubricant to hold up to more heat, friction, and stress without burning. Not a good idea.

Xylene, Naptha, etc. There is a lot of products out there that contain these chemical make sure to not to overdose or overuse the product. 

so that's why the new stuff tastes different.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

So once it cleaned, can't it be flushed with diesel? I'm just trying to un-stick what is stuck, I assume it's a valve or the the plungers on the cam that preventing the pressure to the lines.

• Owner
58 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

So once it cleaned, can't it be flushed with diesel? I'm just trying to un-stick what is stuck, I assume it's a valve or the the plungers on the cam that preventing the pressure to the lines.

All parts inside the pump are hardened steel. 

Plunger seen here pulled out on the rotor head.

DSCF6161.JPG

Here are the cam ring and the rollers and shoes that pump the plungers. 

DSCF6162.JPG

1 hour ago, Blueox01 said:

I think you can use whatever solvent you want, just make sure you flush it out good with diesel fuel later before you run it through rest of the system.

4 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

Seems to me if you can work something in there to free it up you could work it back out just as easy. 

• Staff

The best stuff for cleaning deposits, varnish, and gummed up parts is a 'throttle body and intake' cleaner.  It melts deposit and varnish off of parts.  Mineral sprits won't do it, I've tried it in my solvent tank and after a day the deposits were still there.  Mineral sprits as well as diesel fuel will work as a degreaser. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All parts inside the pump are hardened steel. 

Plunger seen here pulled out on the rotor head.

DSCF6161.JPG

Here are the cam ring and the rollers and shoes that pump the plungers. 

DSCF6162.JPG

You put this back together and on your truck? I'm thinking the plungers are stuck.

16 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If the pump is not installed in the truck then you can load the pump with any solvent you wish. Then drain it out and them load it up with diesel fuel and soak a bit more. 

I

It will be off the truck.

Edited by Blueox01

16 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I second the throttle body cleaner. I just find i bizarre that the pump is gummed up, unless the diesel is gelled?

Pump sat for 8 yrs, thought I drained most of the fuel out, but I'm not getting good pressure through some of the lines, I believe I've got  all the air out.

Sometimes it just takes a bit to get it to fire up, especially after 8 years. Maby try a few more times before you pull it out. If you're getting fuel out of 3 lines that should be enough to start it. Not sure what lift pump you got but try bumping a key and priming it as much as you can, then close lines that have fuel coming out by injectors and it should fire up with good batteries. 

29 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

Pump sat for 8 yrs, thought I drained most of the fuel out, but I'm not getting good pressure through some of the lines, I believe I've got  all the air out.

I leave my lines cracked and use my FASS to push the fuel through, some cranking here and here and once you get 2 or 3 lines bleeding fuel i should fire up.

If you're getting fuel out of the lines, tighten them up and try unplugging relay for your lift pump, see if it helps to start. Maybe it's over pressurizing it on startup a little and being you only have few lines primed it may help. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
Spelling