• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Machine shop

I am getting very close to having the time to pull my head and replace the gasket. I am in need of a machine shop to take it to. @Haggar and @Manimalmother both are in my neighborhood, but maybe some others here might be able to recommend a shop to take mine to after I pull it would help.. Any input from any of you would be appreciated'.

It'll take more than a cnc machine. I'm sure you can surface the head with it but there are tricks on how to do it right. I watched mine getting surfaced and it was on some pins that were adjustable and the cutter spun in circles. Once they get it close, they set it at very low depth just to see if it's square, then if it looks good they make one pass at few thousands.  Usually they take as little as possible off, that way you can resurface it more than once.

Then you got to do do a valve job and it's a job on its own. Before you do anything it's best to pressure test and mag it for cracks. Some cracks are ok.  

I would ask them if they ever done Cummins heads and know exactly what they need. Like I asked my guy why didn't he popped all frost plugs out when they cleaned it and I guess they better left alone if there is no problem with them. He said they had problems of them blowing out on few ocasions and that they are stainless steel and really not need messed with. They inspect it after washing it to make sure it's clean. I'm sure there will be different opinions on all of this, just make sure they work on diesel stuff on regular basis. So you're not going to be a guinea pig,  we're used to the chicken thing already. 

Edit 

Forgot to mention, flush your coolant with all that bars leaks stuff you got in there before you pull the head. Drain as much as possible out so nothing rusts with water sitting in there and non of it will go in cylinders when you take the head off. Little bit still does, just wipe it off. And I wouldn't change oil before hand, do the things then once you get it running, take it for a spin and if everything looks good change it then. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Thanks 1

surface grinder works the best if you access to one. Hardest part is setting up the table to hold the head so you have the entire surface available and don't have to changing mounting halfway through.

but when I needed mine done and didn't have access to a shop I use a big rig machine shop. They knew the head casts by number  and what to look for. Showed me the common problem areas. Even took a picture of the head after the first pass and how bad it was. couldn't complain about the 1 day turnaround either or the price. 

• Staff

Call or go into a few truck/auto repair shops and find out who they use.  They are only going to use reputable machine shops because the truck/auto repair shop's name is on the line if something goes bad.

With the high mile you have you might want to have the head gone through and renewed.

See what they say about inspection and repair.  

Order of work

Clean , pressure test, magnaflux, inspect valves,  valve springs, valves guides. valve seats.

Repair, resurface, replace valve guides and springs if needed,  reface/replace valves and valve seats as needed, new valve guide seals.

1 hour ago, trreed said:

AngleGrinder.jpg

Some may say a flap disk would be better, but I prefer a good ol' grinding wheel.

Shoot I will just get son over and give him the grinder. I am sure he couldn't  F it more than I could with a precision tool. Mine's cordless too.:bolt:

How many beer cans does it take to obtain the proper weight? I might have to start saving up. My son drinks Crown Royal so maybe the glass could shorten the process.:shrug:

On 2/14/2019 at 9:39 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Forgot to mention, flush your coolant with all that bars leaks stuff you got in there before you pull the head. Drain as much as possible out so nothing rusts with water sitting in there and non of it will go in cylinders when you take the head off. Little bit still does, just wipe it off.

Did a flush an coolant change a coupe months ago. The overflow bottle had a nice brown mucas in it. Not surprised and it helped but it starting wearing off. Knew it was temporary when it went in. Seeping more now. 

Unfortunately I have not. The job is consuming all my time and I just got pretty close to a blank check to make it happen, so next 2 weeks is going to be pretty intense. Pretty much 12 hour non stop days for the next 2 weeks but I dont have to ask permission to spend money just document it. Maybe I can squeeze a new loaded head out of it some how.

• Like 1