• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel knock or timing knock or something else?

Good afternoon everyone,

This past week my vehicle situation has changed and I have been driving my 99 daily.  Since I have not driven it much this winter in the cold I don't think it sounds right.  I can hear a knock or a rattle noise when driving it and think it is either a fuel knock or timing knock and hopefully not something else.  The noise does not increase with rpms, but it is there. I believe the injectors are stock with 174k miles and the truck has a Quadzilla XZT+ chip.  Both videos were taken with the chip in the "timing" setting.  I have turned the chip to the off setting,  the noise is there but faint.  I have included a couple video clips, what do you guys think?
https://www.facebook.com/510913837/videos/10157061274603838/?l=8449699577610092840
https://www.facebook.com/510913837/videos/10157061269128838/?l=5694756621128741884

• Owner
2 hours ago, Collinst15 said:

does the MX obdlink allow you to look at engine timing??

No. The only thing right now on the market that does is the Quadzilla. You don't see actual timing but commanded timing. If your VP44 is damaged and throwing the P0216 code it still shows the commanded timing but actual could be way off. 

OBDLink LX or MX series only shows OBDII PIDs. Nothing more. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

There is a way to show all the available data on the Cummins but sad to say the Hex 1C bit that shows what kind of system this reports back 05 which is "Non-OBDII Compliant" So the rules don't hold true for our trucks.

Between the Quadzilla and OBDLink tool you can get all the data you need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I noticed this morning after trying to start my truck for 10 minutes and eventually white smoking the pasture, that it sounds like a powerstroke ?..... It has hardly no guts if I unplug my adrenaline, and it hardly runs better with it connected. I haven't made any crazy timing adjustments, I've taken several datalogs, but maybe I'm missing something...... Oh yeah., I was driving down the road last Monday and all the sudden I felt the power leave the skinny pedal, i can floor it and it'll take roughly 10-15 seconds to pick back up but when it does boy it's a rocket,ever since then it's done it randomly at the WORST times possible..... Someone please tell me my VP didn't just take a big healthy steaming poo on me ? 

Just a little update.  Truck has been running fine with what I call a fuel knock.  it still sounds like above on colder days, but I hope to fix that in next few weeks.  I ordered a set of 100hp injectors from DAP and am rebuilding my hx35.  I took the XZT+ off and am saving for an Adrenaline.  Ultimate goal for truck is a reliable daily driver.  Not looking for crazy power, but want some power when I want/need it.  

Marcus - ill let you know how my truck runs once I install injectors.

Tim

• Thanks 1

I noticed this winter that my truck sounds louder too.  This is my first winter with it so I'm not sure if its normal to change in the winter or not.  I posted on here about it. 

I know I need injectors too.  165k miles on original injectors.  I need to call DAP and figure out what size I can go with with my HX35 turbo.

Well today is a good day.  Got my 100hp injectors in the mail from DAP and found a Quadzilla Adrenaline local for sale.  I've flashed it with the most recent v2.7 tune from here.  Will be a few weeks until I can install everything but looking forward to seeing how truck runs.

Tim

20190329_122932.jpg

• Like 4

@Mopar1973Man what do you use to see engine load on the obdlink? I have an obelisk MX and I only saw corrected load value and absolute load value.  The absolute load value reads 0.0% all the time and the corrected load value I've seen 100% with 1/4 throttle last night.  Just wondering what pid/gauge you are using on your obdlink.

Tim

• Owner
42 minutes ago, Collinst15 said:

I have an obelisk MX and I only saw corrected load value and absolute load value. 

Just like you got it. The corrected engine load is fine. 

42 minutes ago, Collinst15 said:

the corrected load value I've seen 100% with 1/4 throttle last night. 

That means it took 100% fuel to get you rolling at a mere 25% throttle. Drag?

Edited by Mopar1973Man