• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel knock or timing knock or something else?

Wow.  I know I possibly have a rear drum dragging, but wouldn't this also suggest injectors are not working 100% and are well below pop pressure? I gotta find a free weekend hopefully before May to change everything. 

Thanks,

Tim

6 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

Mine idles around or a little below 850 with engine load dancing around 4 to 6%. Injectors getting worn out?

I'm sure they are bad.  I have new DAP 100hp injectors waiting to be installed along with an Adrenaline.  It should run better once I find time to install everything. 

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone, 

Just an update.  Spent today putting injectors in and deleting the factory lift pump from side of block along with installing new return lines.  Truck runs amazing now.  Idles at 750rpm with about 6-7% load.  The "knock" has disappeared and it has a slight lope to it.  Didn't get a chance to install the adrenaline, but can't wait to get that installed.  

Mike,

I read the rpm off my phone quick while it was idling, I may have read it wrong, but it idles between the 2nd and 3rd line below the 1k mark on gauge.  It def idles lower than it did with old injectors.  I'll get another reading tomorrow morning.

Tim

I installed my new stick injectors Saturday and truck ran sweet until this morning it developed a knock. Any guesses? I have fuel leak somewhere I have to chase today but I don’t think it’s a high pressure leak cause I can’t see it on the lines and it’s coming from the back. 

23 hours ago, Collinst15 said:

Took truck for a drive to warm it up today.  Once warm it idles in park around 750.  I have attached a video of it idling.

That is what my truck sounded like and I hated it. Sounds awe full. 

@Mopar1973Man I'll get a screen shot from adrenaline once I drive to work this afternoon.  I just got quad installed yesterday.Truck runs a lot better with 100hp injectors.  It used to fall on its face once in od and lose boost.  Now once it gets locked in od it takes off and boost goes from 10-20 quick.

Tim

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I installed my new stick injectors Saturday and truck ran sweet until this morning it developed a knock. Any guesses? I have fuel leak somewhere I have to chase today but I don’t think it’s a high pressure leak cause I can’t see it on the lines and it’s coming from the back. 

That is what my truck sounded like and I hated it. Sounds awe full. 

If you are running a tune setup for stock injectors larger injectors could create a fuel/timing knock.  Performance injectors have a lower pop pressure (sometimes) so they can act like a worn out stock injector if they are adding fuel too soon.  At least that's the way I understand it. Somebody else will probably jump in here with a better explanation.   

Here is a screen shot of readings from quad.  Truck idling in park just below 800rpm.  Don't mind oil pressure, pretty sure I need a new sensor.  I am going to keep it on stock setting for about a week and data log truck to see where timing sits before I start to play with quad.

Tim

Screenshot_20190422-142816_iQuad.jpg

• Like 1

• Owner

Here is where I'm at...

Capture+_2019-04-21-11-17-53.png

NOTE: -50°F on Quadzilla to match my ISSPro EGT gauge. Then +1 MPH to match my GPS and cluster.

Running down I-84 in the trucker lane at 70 MPH with traffic. Remember I'm running 320 bar on pop pressure. 7 x 0.010 injectors and ARP studs. Shocker to pull EGT's down to just below 600°F in EGT's at 70 MPH

Edited by Mopar1973Man

My only complaint is EGT's can get a little high.  I get out of out when I see 1k, but once TC locks up egt's rise from around 700 to 1k pretty fast.  I do see anywheres from 20-25 psi of boost.  I have a stock hx35 and a boost elbow.  I did a WOT pull yesterday and saw 30 psi and egt maxed out at little under 1100.  I did rebuild a hx35 turbo cartridge and was going to swap it into truck as current hx35 is leaking a little oil. Now I am thinking I may need to jump into a bigger compressor wheel, but I have not loaded any custom tunes as of yet.  I am hoping egt's come down once I change timing and fuel.  All in all, I am very happy with the 100hp sticks and looking forward to playing with the quad.

Tim