• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wait to start delay

Today I decided to mess around with my edge OBD style programmer and uploaded the economy tune onto my truck. I had taken a trip on the highway the other week and wanted to see if I could get better then 16.5mpg. I started my truck and drove to work. It drove fine and started normal to me. After a few start ups throughout the day, I noticed that the WTS light was delayed, instead of coming on as soon as the key was turned on like it has been doing for the past 8 months I’ve owned this truck, it took about 5 seconds for it to come on. When the light came on, my fass lift pump also kicked on. I tried starting before the light kicked on and the engine would just crank. I feared the worse and thought my injection pump was going out, but it had been replaced a couple years ago, and I drive my truck very easy and on a stock tune with a secondary fuel pump. I was a little spooked so I changed the tune back to stock hoping that would fix it. It didn’t. After looking on these forums, it looks like the only answer is that my ecm is bad. I went to pull codes and got a p1694-no engine bus messages. I didn’t have any codes before I installed the tune this morning, but after I did these things have been acting weird. I’m not sure why this is happening, I have never had a problem like this. My truck has been working just fine until today. I’m not sure where to go from here. Should I just live with this 5 second delay on the WTS light? Or does the ecm have to be replaced? Can it be reflashed by the dealership? Can I reset it somehow at home by disconnecting the batteries? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

David

• Owner

1998.5 and 1999 ECM are know weak ECM's and tend to fail to flash tuners. They have a very low flash count limit and can fail in this way. The only thing you can do is send that ECM in to be repaired and or replaced.

Once you get it repaired I suggest you ditch that tuner and consider a Quadzilla at least that doesn't flash the ECM.

It’s one of the earlier edge turners, I have the monitor that goes with it and it’s just the earlier less expensive model you can buy. But That’s probably right, the ecm is mostly bad or on its way out. Guess I’ll start looking to getting it replaced! I’m guessing it isn’t completely dead yet, since it still drives okay, should this be an urgent matter to get done within the next few days? Or can it wait a couple weeks? I was just getting ready to do brakes and rebuild the front end. Just wondering if that should be on hold for a little while. Haha, there’s always something else!

4 hours ago, 1999 White 24v said:

Right... well thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it. This is the first forum I’ve been a part of and it’s nice to know others can help you out and explain more about your problems.

This a great place, I am proud to be part of it. Without the people here I might not be driving mine today.

• Like 3

Might this be of help?

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/cold_wx.htm

What were the temperatures when you attempted the starts when the WTS light illuminated?

I believe the ECM receives temperature data from the IAT sensor?  If it possibly receiving erroneous data, this may conceivably cause or contribute to this issue.  Have you tried plugging in the block heater for several hours prior to starting to see if the WTS light still come on?

I would at least verify everything supplying the ECM with data is functioning properly before looking into the ECM being the problem. 

Edited by LiveOak

I appreciate the advice! Before, whether or not it was below zero, or above 100, the wait to start light would come on, but the temp affected how long it would stay on for. Now the light doesn’t come on immediately. That’s not a problem with it reading temperatures because that effects how long the grid heater runs. The problem is the light doesn’t come in and the fuel pump won’t prime. 

8 minutes ago, buzzman said:

I'm having a similar problem with the WTS slow to come on. If I have to eventually replace the ecm, is it the computer bolted to the block or the one on the firewall?

Thanks,

Buzz

Engine block. The PCM is on the firewall.