• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3rd gen brake conversion on a dually

driving in California with high speed stop and go, I would like better emergency braking not just looking at overall braking for normal driving.  I think bigger rotors, bigger pads should generate more power and less heat.  I agree with you for towing and or "normal" driving exhaust brake is good way to go.  Ultimately would like both long term.

Edited by portlandareae28
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Did you brake a rotor bolting it on.

Curious of your outcome.  My old man was given the wrong rotor for his dually and snapped it with the impact.

He was just doing a brake job not upgrading anything

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, trreed said:

I only notice a stopping difference with a trailer since I've done the conversion.

There shouldn't be any difference between DRW and SRW pickups.  The 17" rim rule still applies.

The dually rear disc brakes (2001/2002) uses larger caliper pistons than the 2500/srw.  

Edited by bcbigfoot

• Staff
On 2/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Better off with an exhaust brake. This set of brake pads are going to clear 200k miles. 

Not worth it still doesn't change the wear aspect upgrading to 3rd Gen brakes.

Two very different upgrades. 

Personally I'd do both on a 2nd gen. Better service brakes are always a plus, and an exhaust brake is invaluable. 

If pads/rotors are being replaced anyways the 3rd gen brake upgrade isn't an expensive mod. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Economy brake pads. 200k miles. Exhaust brake. I'll go another 100k mile and check again.

Not a fair comparison with your current driving routine. Mostly highway miles without traffic or a trailer will greatly extend the brake life over the "average" driving conditions. 

4 hours ago, AH64ID said:

If pads/rotors are being replaced anyways the 3rd gen brake upgrade isn't an expensive mod.

Unless you have to buy wheels. One time expense granted, but an extra 3 or hundred bucks. The other is the 17" tires are more expensive, $25 or so. And there seems to be not as much choice on the 17's but I have not spent alot time looking.

4 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Not a fair comparison with your current driving routine. Mostly highway miles without traffic or a trailer will greatly extend the brake life over the "average" driving conditions

I cant argue with this. As one who sees alot highway miles. But used to only get about 70k out of front brakes pre e brake. The 7 years, 180k or so, mine worked I did no front brakes. 

• Like 1