• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1/2 vulcan draw straw 3

• Owner
13 minutes ago, Ravewolf said:

How is this compared to a sump system? 

I highly suggest not to do a sump. If you do you take a huge risk at ruining a fuel tank there is already been a few members here done a sump and ended up replacing a fuel tank from leaking. Not to mention there are issues law wise about bottom draw tanks which may not be DOT legal. might be fine for the track but I do not suggest it on the highway. Not to mention more fuel line exposed to cold air blowing under the truck and greater chance of gelling up. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

Sumps have seen some bad news around here with leaks and it is illegal because of fire potential..... the fire dept needs time to get people out of their vehicles when involved in a wreck, but if there's diesel flowing by gravity that's asking for trouble..... could be a liablity.

Edited by JAG1

Done both. Drawstraw is easier and get the same results. Lots of off road through farm fields, ditches ect. with sump. Also tons of wood hauled out of the woods with sump hanging under truck. Lots of miles in -25° with sump and never a gelling issue here in Michigan. With all that just did a drawstraw and you get the same results and its a little easier to install. 

I personally like the one I use in my truck, it used to be called a draw straw 5, maybe it still is. It replaces factory in basket lift pump. Reason I liked it is because basket travels up and down with fuel tank expansion, a lot harder to screw that up vs cutting draw straw to length. Either way you do it make sure you use all half inch lines throughout don't cut corners.

Looking for a spot to drill for new draw straw and looks like there is a difference between longbed tanks like @Mopar1973Man and shortbed tank, If I install at the high point the tank which is toward the rear Im not sure there is enough clearance between the top of tank and bed for the DS3 fitting, It looks like I may have to find a flat spot toward the front of the canister as long as I can keep it out of the way of the float.

383EACFD-87CE-4649-9268-2621FCBE4B24.jpeg

After removing the old draw straw out of basket, I used it for the return line, I was wondering what to do with the old fitting, cap it off or use as a vent

8573DC43-4C2B-4D69-8D48-880B0BDBE1AE.jpeg

39363B1B-8D14-4525-A8AB-809192DD879B.jpeg

well my idea of trying to solve the quarter tank issue by installing a new draw straw is back firing and causing new grief, I cut the new draw straw about an 1/8 from bottom of tank then added notches on each side of straw about 1/4” up. I also drilled more 1/2” holes toward the bottom of original fuel basket to speed recovery of return fuel into tank since the new straw is outside the basket. I also extended the return line to the bottom of basket and still have the y splitter going into the fillet neck

The issue I am having is fuel pressure, I run a mechanical fuel boss and  when I first start up it will idle at 16psi, just like it did before, I can accelerate and even under load it will maintained 16-17 psi. As soon as I let off I loose fuel pressure down between 0 to 10 psi and everything between. I have checked all hoses for leaks, checked for suction leaks and no sign of leaks anywhere, I really don’t think it’s the draw straw being I can maintain good fuel pressure at wot it just looses it when I decelerate, got me stumped

I took the pre pump fuel strainer off and cleaned the best I can, got some debris out and reinstalled but same results, Don’t know but maybe by pass valve on return fuel side not sealing? anything else I caiuld have fouled up? I didn’t have this issue before I started this.

And that's why I put my sump on people disagree with me that's fine but if one of the g&r or beans sumps get caught on something that would rip it out it would pen penetrate the tank anyways I've had sump for a year and 0 leaks but I damn sure have fuel to my airdog all the time

• Staff

Since you have good fuel pressure when you first start it up, then later it goes low at idle after a run it sounds like symptoms of a clogged tank vent. That will create a vacuum in the tank at idle that it cannot overcome like when running higher RPMs.

Go for a run with the fuel cap off and see if any difference.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

About 15 gallons in it. 

You can fill it up and see if it changes. That would eliminate fuel slosh being the culprit.

18 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

And that's why I put my sump on people disagree with me that's fine but if one of the g&r or beans sumps get caught on something that would rip it out it would pen penetrate the tank anyways I've had sump for a year and 0 leaks but I damn sure have fuel to my airdog all the time

17 years of pulling fuel from basket with no issues or leaks and it still will drain the tank. Never saw a need for a sump. But I am still a firm believer in "to each his own".