• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

LED lighting - Exterior lighting

• Owner

Now I've gone to the exterior lighting. 

20190301_181651.jpg

The left bulb is a switchback bulb for the front marker / turn signal. It's a white light on parking lamps but amber on the turn signal. Then the bulb on the right is a standard red tail light blub. Both sets are above normal lumens.

Front amber

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/3157-switchback-led-bulb-dual-function-60-smd-led-tower-a-type-wedge-retrofit-car/1916/4478/

Rear red

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/3156-3157-ck-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit/3557/7523/

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Owner

Seriously, I wish I would have done this sooner. Wow! :stuned:

I love the front switchback bulbs. Those are totally awesome bright white in parking lamp mode. Turn signal makes them switch to amber and flash normally. Then when done its switches back to white again. Awesome bulbs. Kind of gives this old truck a modern appeal again. Kind of like the halo lighting or modern switch backlight on newer vehicles. The rear red LEDs turned out good and plenty bright. No longer have to think about blown tail lights. These should last a very long time.

Wow, those front lights are bright.  I just went and did some research to make sure clear parking lights are legal here in OR and according to ORS 816.130 it looks like they are.  You never know about this place...

I may have to look into those when I get some new headlights.

No special LED flasher is needed?

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Napa Number - EP-27L

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NF_EP27L

Flasher - Turn Signal NF EP27L

Full article here with all the info in one spot.

I didn’t realize NAPA GAVE 20% discount to AAA members

will these fit?  I don’t like amazon but have a gift card I need to use up.

Edited by portlandareae28

19 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Seriously, I wish I would have done this sooner. Wow! :stuned:

I love the front switchback bulbs. Those are totally awesome bright white in parking lamp mode. Turn signal makes them switch to amber and flash normally. Then when done its switches back to white again. Awesome bulbs. Kind of gives this old truck a modern appeal again. Kind of like the halo lighting or modern switch backlight on newer vehicles. The rear red LEDs turned out good and plenty bright. No longer have to think about blown tail lights. These should last a very long time.

I've been running LEE's on the exterior now for about a year.  It's a huge difference.  Mike, IIRC, you have additional back up lights, correct?  For me with regular back ups, the LED's made the most difference there.  I have all the bulbs to do the interior including dash (hopefully headlights & heated seats switches as well) .

Enjoy

D

I need to do something with my fogs now

• Owner
2 hours ago, SilverMoose said:

Mike, IIRC, you have additional back up lights, correct?

There are two 100w spotlights on the rear axles. Eventually, get changed out for LED's as well.

2 hours ago, SilverMoose said:

I need to do something with my fogs now

Might look at. That what you see on my truck.

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/147-LP-530-Driving-LED-Light-Kit.aspx

I swapped out all of my interior and exterior lights on the Ram to LEDs including projectors, high beams, dash, climate, cab, fender, etc.  I bought new headlight and taillight assemblies since the headlight assembly on my truck was shot due to age.  I'll post some pics.  They look really good IMO and definitely update the look.

I also installed switchback lights for the front turn signal/markers. They are phenomenal. Stumbled across that when I was doing the LED research for the truck. Definitely improves the look and they are just so much brighter.  I like the LEDs in the dash but they are much brighter than stock. They dim, but overall, it is a little out of balance with the other integral bulbs that cannot be easily swapped out.

My next LED project is looking into swapping out these integral bulbs with LEDs so that everything will be in balance.  You can buy the individual solder-in LEDs of course, just have to be careful, check polarity, etc.

Did the same for my other two vehicles including switchbacks for the turn signals,  LEDs in the projectors, backup, interior, etc.  Of course, there is some adjustments with the projectors that most people don't bother to do. Not to mention all the boneheads that put LEDs into their reflector headlights effectively blinding everyone but themselves.

...Not a safe way to drive around.

• Like 1

• Owner
2 minutes ago, Brubro67 said:

Not to mention all the boneheads that put LEDs into their reflector headlights effectively blinding everyone but themselves.

I deal with those every single day. More so in the big city areas more. Up here it mostly people get huge light bars with massive wattages and running them on the highway. Which is illegal to run cab top light bar on the highway.

I see people all the time who run with a light bar on, around the front bumper.  Also illegal and dangerous.  They are just stupidly bright & blinding to everyone else.  Guess what people, you're not "cool" ?

Edited by Brubro67
grammar
  • Like 1

O.K.  So I believe that I am a victim of the LED headlights.  The PO installed LED Headlights. And I don't drive a lot at night but I did notice that hey are throwing a lot of light up on the garage door.  So I assume that black electrician tape on the bottom reflector portion of the reflector, won't assist the situation?  Is there a fix or am I stuck going with the projectors?

Thanks

Michael

I guess you could try & see what effect it makes, applying the tape to various areas.

SilverMoose added projector lenses to his existing enclosures I'm almost positive.  That would be an affordable alternative to buying new projector assemblies.

21 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Is it just me or is anyone else blinded by the new F-250/F350 factory headlights?

The new Chevy 's seem awfully bright as well.  Could be due to fact that I see a lot of leveled trucks and they don't adjust lights.  But the newer trucks are bright tho.

L8tr

D

I have pair of 30'" light bars on my truck, treat them like high beams though.  If there is another vehicle in front of me then I leave them off.  I go to work at 3:30 in the morning and travel a stretch of road that's likely to have livestock wandering around so the light bars are very helpful.