• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AirDog Toggle Switch hardware

I've been having some problems with my AirDog. So I've decided to hardwire it with a toggle switch. But since it has the relay I don't know which wires go where. I know I can jump the yellow and red together to turn it on but what are the other two. Do I need to tie those into somewhere too? 

We'll the pump went out last year. Left it parked till I got a warranteed one. Then I fixed it and got it going again.  The relay went out a while back and now the fuse went out. But I don't want the relay to go out again so I wanna hardwire a toggle switch 

• Owner
6 minutes ago, tmropr1991 said:

The relay went out a while back and now the fuse went out.

Pump could be damaged, froze up, or got gelled fuel. The fuse should never blow. If it is don't wire around the normal system because it not working right. There is a reason why the AirDog blowing the fuse. Typically the motor is locked up some how.

10 hours ago, tmropr1991 said:

Do I need to tie those into somewhere too? 

The other 2 probably come from ECM and that's what trigger the relay to energize. Don't connect the other 2 anywhere if you're planning on using toggle switch. 

Sounds like you have more than one problem, maybe ecm is going out.

• Like 1

Wait to start not coming on instantly with key on, lift pump not working properly, sometimes surging, random codes all at once, the list can be big. A lot of it is from bad grounds, bad alternator with excessive AC/ alternating current. 

ECM should only trigger a relay that powers lift pump and not power lift pump directly. Front factory they had lift pump powered directly from ECM but they were smaller pumps, airdog, fass, and other bigger ones use ECM input to power relay and relay will power lift pump from battery. Or skip Bs and get a mechanical lift pump. 

Also on your toggle switch idea, don't power it on until engine starts, VP doesn't like pressure when starting. 

For many reasons you should have it controlled by the ECM. For time being switch is ok.

• Like 1

• Owner

Just the fact the lift pump is not coming on while running could be an ECM problem. Lift pump circuit could be damaged in the ECM. no error codes or Wait To Start light issues are needed. 

I highly suggest you leave the lift pump hooked to the ECM for control. It would really suck to lose your life over a $5 toggle switch. If the truck happens to be in an accident and you unconscious the fuel will continue to pump till someone turns off the pump. The ECM will shut down all fuel and pumps if the engine shuts down suddenly and drop tach signal like Frontal crash. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Ok that's a good reason on why it should stay to the relay. Do you know the part number for it? Maybe I could get one at O'Reilly's or AutoZone. One thing I've noticed is I have glowshift gauges. And the fuel pressure gauge fluctuates alot. I've put a manual gauge on from the pump and it's pumping at 15psi steady but the gauge keeps jumping around. Guess it's time to get an isspro mechanical fuel gauge. 

• Owner
51 minutes ago, tmropr1991 said:

One thing I've noticed is I have glowshift gauges. And the fuel pressure gauge fluctuates alot

Glow shift are poor quality from the get go. Then you never want to install a sensor at the tap point. You want at least 5 foot of tubing between the last snubber to the sensor. This stops the water hammer from beating the sensor to death. 

Image result for mopar1973man fuel pressure

55 minutes ago, tmropr1991 said:

...One thing I've noticed is I have glowshift gauges. And the fuel pressure gauge fluctuates alot. I've put a manual gauge on from the pump and it's pumping at 15psi steady but the gauge keeps jumping around. Guess it's time to get an isspro mechanical fuel gauge. 

Where do you have your fuel pressure sensor for the Glowshift gauges?  If its close to the injection pump without a snubber or needle valve or even with one, it could be water hammer effect you are seeing on the gauge.  That will destroy the sensor over time.

Edited by hdpwipmonkey
Mopar beat me.

How did you do your set up? That actually looks pretty nice. 

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Glow shift are poor quality from the get go. Then you never want to install a sensor at the tap point. You want at least 5 foot of tubing between the last snubber to the sensor. This stops the water hammer from beating the sensor to death. 

Image result for mopar1973man fuel pressure

This setup looks very clean and nice. How did you do this? I'd like to have a setup like this. 

1 minute ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

Where do you have your fuel pressure sensor for the Glowshift gauges?  If its close to the injection pump without a snubber or needle valve or even with one, it could be water hammer effect you are seeing on the gauge.  That will destroy the sensor over time.

It is on the AirDog pump. Right where the taps are. 

8 minutes ago, tmropr1991 said:

It is on the AirDog pump. Right where the taps are. 

with a snubber or needle valve?

I have mine in a push lock threaded T connector about a foot or so back from the injection pump with a snubber and I have no pulsing issues on my gauge.

I put mine up closer to the injection pump so I would know what the pressure was in the line not at the lift pump.

Edited by hdpwipmonkey

2 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

with a snubber or needle valve?

I have mine in a push lock threaded T connector about a foot or so back from the injection pump with a snubber and I have no pulsing issues on my gauge.

I put mine up closer to the injection pump so I would know what the pressure was in the line not at the lift pump.

Ok that's something I could think about doing too. Because I need to figure out another place to put it. I could run a hose from that tap to the front of the truck and put my sensor. Somewhere more accessable as well 

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I got Eric at Vulcan Performance to make it for me. Its just a piece of angle iron with 2 holes that are tight fitting to the double female NPT fittings. Eric lightly tack welded the fitting and just screwed it to the fender. 

That's a nice setup. I need to look into it or make one myself. What kind of gauge set up do you have?