• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Reloading Thread

Me78569

Figured I should start another thread about reloading to keep things seperate.  

I believe @AH64ID said heused berger bullets?   what has brought you to them?   

I am currently using hornady eld-x for my hunting rounds, but I have heard a lot about bergers.  Berger is pretty proud of their stuff though $$

I started using Bergers last year for my .300 win mag.  I had used Hornady and Noslers.  The Bergers that I used increased my consistency and they tightened my groupings.  They are pricey, I had a friend give me some to try.  I wish these bullet manufacturers would sell bullets in smaller quantities.  I don't always want to buy a box o 50, it would be nice to buy them in smaller groups before I commit to 50....but that is just my rant.

Old school here . . . .

.300 Winchester / Model 70 / 24" bbl.

180g NP Protected Point.

IMR4831  /  72.5g

Mag primers in Hornady cases.

Good load, maybe not the fastest, groups tight in both my Model 70's . . .

• 4 months later...

Question to the more experienced reloaders

I got some Hammer hunter 124 gr bullets.  I got bored and liked the name so I fell victim to them haha.  

Anyways I loaded up some rounds with H4350 starting in the middle of the book and working up by .3gr.  My thought was my previous loads with the lead core bullets showed I could run ~.5gr above the book without signs of pressure in both the 143gr eldx and the 123 gr eldm bullets.  

Imagine my surpise when my "low" load with the new bullets put my FPS ~100 faster than the book said they should be with a 2" shorter barrel than the book. got to 43.2gr and I hit primer craters, again hitting ~100 fps faster than the book said I should be.  

Question I have is why would my previous loads show normal FPS for the book, and then vastly faster than they should be for the Hammer bullets?  

The bullet and powder charge was the only change.   what would account for the higher pressure with the solid copper bullets across the board?  

Bullets are off the lands by ~.040.  

curious to hear thoughts, trying to understand the difference and the logic behind it.

Killed a few deer with 115vlds out of my 2506.. also killed with 115  nosler bits 100 core lots, triple shocks, partitions, 75 vmax ;) 85 nose bt.

I've killed alot of big game with the 2506 deer and elk.

115 vld's and 115 nos bt are my go to bullets run em about 2900 and they just kill. But so does any bullet put in right spot.

The nos bts take alot less work to print tight compared to Berger vld . Vld is worth it though ounce a load is found. I found it likes alittle jump to lands where bt is touching

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 7/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, Me78569 said:

Question to the more experienced reloaders

I got some Hammer hunter 124 gr bullets.  I got bored and liked the name so I fell victim to them haha.  

Anyways I loaded up some rounds with H4350 starting in the middle of the book and working up by .3gr.  My thought was my previous loads with the lead core bullets showed I could run ~.5gr above the book without signs of pressure in both the 143gr eldx and the 123 gr eldm bullets.  

Imagine my surpise when my "low" load with the new bullets put my FPS ~100 faster than the book said they should be with a 2" shorter barrel than the book. got to 43.2gr and I hit primer craters, again hitting ~100 fps faster than the book said I should be.  

Question I have is why would my previous loads show normal FPS for the book, and then vastly faster than they should be for the Hammer bullets?  

The bullet and powder charge was the only change.   what would account for the higher pressure with the solid copper bullets across the board?  

Bullets are off the lands by ~.040.  

curious to hear thoughts, trying to understand the difference and the logic behind it.

I'm only getting notifications on some of my subscriptions, so I missed this. 

Solid copper bullets are longer, and thus have different friction. If the solid copper bullet is faster I would guess the powder was burning too slow before, and now with the added friction can burn more completely and get a faster bullet speed from it.