• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DYI- what do you do yourself vs have done?

I realize it depends on your comfort, skill level and bank account and there are folks that do everything themselves. Shoot, If you watch "you tube" the sky is the limit (and some stuff is even accurate) 

I am new to the diesel world, have an 04 but, what make sense to have done vs do myself?  

Just curious

Most impressive Mopar1973man, looking back, any of those not worth doing yourself again? 

I don't plan on doing many mods (I tend to lean more twords stock)

what about " routine" work? I change my own oil and fuel filter, brake pads etc. but things like adjusting valves, injectors, ball joints etc. worth the time and effort? 

I have the mods in my signature. Do slmost all of the work on truck. The only I have paid anyone to do in ten or more years was the last clutch replacement. I have pulled twice was not up to the third one. My gravel drive way sucks for doing that. Savec a lot of money that way and got a lot satisfaction out of it.

Learned a lot also.

• Like 1

• Staff

I have changed water pumps and stat, starter motors, idler pulleys, belts, brake pads and calipers, one block heater element, Lift pumps, draw straws, fuel pressure gauges and changed one VP44.

On my old 12 valve I had for almost 22 years I changed all that plus injectors, Turbo, 4 starter motors, 3 brake boosters, 2 master cylinders and rebuilt with my own parts the fuel module and fuel gauge sender. I changed my rear wheel bearings once, but got the bearing seals backwards.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff

Identify what needs to be done.  Maintenance, drivability problem, no run, etc..  

Research how to do it.  Ask question on forums, view You Tube.

Do you have the tools and physical ability to per form the task.

If you're comfortable doing the work after the this evaluation then go for it, otherwise ship it. 

• Staff

You guys, my door lock switch is bad.Keeps setting off the alarm so Just want to make sure about pulling off the door panel....... Just carefully pull it off the holding clips....... Is that right? I will look around for any screws too.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:49 AM, Brent B3HH said:

I realize it depends on your comfort, skill level and bank account and there are folks that do everything themselves. Shoot, If you watch "you tube" the sky is the limit (and some stuff is even accurate) 

I am new to the diesel world, have an 04 but, what make sense to have done vs do myself?  

Just curious

I have a 01, different generation than yours.  Initially bought it because they're supposed to be so darn good. Never broke down I thought to myself why should I take the time to even learn how to fix them.  

I changed my own oil, wrote in maintenance book the miles so I knew when to change it again.  That was about it.  From 2005 to 2016.  

Then Broke down with a bad Fass lift pump after all said and done after Towing   lift pumps etx. And we were 2,500 miles away from home, couldn't do anything myself because we're in an RV park even though I was able to look up what I needed and read step by step instructions, I couldn't do the work myself in the RV park.  Cost for repairs ended up costing us just shy of $3,000

That was when I started paying extra close attention and started doing everything myself.   I can't say that I enjoy getting my hands greasy but after paying that kind of money and having a subpar job and the repairs fell apart and  had to be redone twice.  So now if I don't know how to do something (which is alot) I figure it out either through the to the service manuals that are available for download or the web.  So much better peace of mind for me if I fix something and it falls apart that's on me but to pay a shop a hundred bucks an hour for whatever their shop rate is and they screw it up that's a little bit irritating

• Like 1

• Staff

That's how I got involved in my own work...... I got tired of the frequent misinformation and seeing what really was done, finally got to me. In 2001 I got serious about investing in tools even though I always had enough to do the usual maintenance, it opened up a whole new education along with a certain glee about not getting hosed any more. 

Edited by JAG1

11 hours ago, JAG1 said:

You guys, my door lock switch is bad.Keeps setting off the alarm so Just want to make sure about pulling off the door panel....... Just carefully pull it off the holding clips....... Is that right? I will look around for any screws too.

I bought a bunch of the plastic door clips off Amazon.  I still have quite a few, I can send you some if you are in need.

• Like 1

• Staff

Thanks Hawkez, I will let you know when I get it apart, weather permitting. I have a garage, but like most It's got a few things in there. Material things are starting to go down the road for simpler living. Cleaned out a bunch yesterday. :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1

13 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Thanks Hawkez, I will let you know when I get it apart, weather permitting. I have a garage, but like most It's got a few things in there. Material things are starting to go down the road for simpler living. Cleaned out a bunch yesterday. :thumb1:

I was able to reuse most of the plastic fasteners.  A few did break.  If you take your time and have something to help pry it apart you will be just fine. 

• Like 1

• Staff
25 minutes ago, Hawkez said:

I was able to reuse most of the plastic fasteners.  A few did break.  If you take your time and have something to help pry it apart you will be just fine. 

Be very 'ginger' and skip the eating of GMO chicken. :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1

My genuine thanks to everyone in the tread and the site for inspiring me to do the mods to my truck and helping with issues along the way. I have thru the years done a good many things to my vehicles but never what all I have done this one. It has been and continues to be a great learning experience. So :cheers: to all for the help.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I’ve done a ton to my 3rd gen. Most of it I would do again. 

What are your goals with the truck? 

Is it an 04 or 04.5? 

'04.5

goals.... HMMM, I guess to keep it pretty stock with a few upgrades. I am not looking to light up the world, just get to work and tow my hobby here and there.

I just bought it 5months ago, it has 250k on it. things like a valve adjustment or injector replacement. not sure if it's worth diving in or having done.

you know, I can wash my own car, but is it worth the $8. I would pay at a car wash in a fraction of the time? I realize it is a personal decision but, some things people say it's not worth the hassle.

sounds like every one here is all for doing it themselves and that is AWESOME!

thanks everyone for the replies,