• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Firewall insulation ripped.

I was replacing my injectors yesterday and when I took the valve cover off one of the bolts ripped the insulation and that crap went everywhere.

I know some fell into the engine and I tried to wipe what I could out by number 6.

How screwed am I?

• Staff

Tape a small diameter tubing to a shop vac hose and use that to suck up anything that fell into smaller areas. It won't hurt to vacuum up dirty oil with it...... just get out all you can. I like soft tubing cause it will fit better to areas or galleys that need clearing out.

• Like 1

• Owner

That matting does nothing for sound. It does make great mouse bedding all over your engine. Then if you have an oil leak it soaks up oil and the sags down on the engine. It is great for dumping tons of dust and dirt in your valve train when you are doing valve lash or injectors. On both trucks, the hood mat came out and the firewall mat came out. No loss...

• Like 1

Ya I got out what I could to. Drove it 70 miles today so we'll see. Should I do a sooner oil change? I assume the oil filter will pick up some of what left.

Also what exactly holds that insulation there? Is it just a strong adhesive?

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It's been so long ago I forgot what it was. :duh:

I hear ya...only reason I remembered is because I cut myself on the exposed studs while installing the twins.  Memory tied to injury. 

• Like 1

A bit off topic here, I know we had few threads in past about noise reduction inside the cab. I'm thinking about getting out the interior again and using some of that foil looking stuff that sticks to the floor and walls maybe even doors. 

Anyone ever used anyting from Menards or Home Depot that work ? Or does it got to be something special

• Staff

I guess I would have to hold a piece of it. The window tape is dense, near the same thickness and roll is pretty heavy. The rolls I have are 9" wide 75 feet long and weigh about 8 or 9 to the best of my recollection. The roll is ony $25. It is identical in looks as the small piece you see applied to the bottom of stainless steel kitchen sinks used to deaden the sound of water hitting it just thicker.

The thing that might bug me about is once you stick on there I hope you dont want to take off. That would be one nasty job.

• Like 1

Yeah I've been reading about some menards stuff people used and said it made a big difference. I think it was some duck work stuff and I believe it was lead. Need to research some more, I don't want to do it twice and definitely not trying to spend bunch of money doing it, I'm sure it can be bought cheap under diferent description, if it's special it's always expensive.