• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4th Gen wheels on a 2nd Gen??

Ok first time posting on a forum so if I put this in the wrong category..beat me accordingly. Btw, this site has been Awesome in helping me sort out updates & upgrades for my 99 so Big Thank you to all that contribute.

4th gen 2500 OEM 18" wheels fit a 2nd gen 2500?  From what I have read thus far, yes they will. Only 1 issue & that being the axle being out about an inch or so farther on the Gen2.  2" spacers on rear only apparently remedy that. 4th gen tires are 275/70/R18

I have 20" on mine now, but am wanting to downsize just a little. 

I did find a pic of someone that just recently put the very wheel combo I am wanting to buy on his 1998 with the 2" spacers on the rear with zero problem (so he stated)

Anyone have any other info on this be it good or bad??  Thx for the input.

1998 Dodge with 2018 18 wheels.jpg

Of the reading I have done on this topic generally the issue becomes A. Lug nuts after 2012 (I think that's the year) when Dodge switched to Metric & B. Center caps   So this was new to me.  1.5 hrs away to pick them up & I'm going for it. Will follow up with pic's in a couple days. Thx guys.

9 hours ago, Stormin08 said:

the 4th gen PRE 14 trucks bolt right on, as these trucks were 4 link front and the same as a 3rd gen. the 14 up trucks with radius arms have a deeper off set and may require the spacers

https://www.wheeladapter.com/

Should not require spacers on the rear if front doesn't  require them unless I am missing something. The original post mentions spacers on the rear only.

• Like 1

I run 1.5" spacers all around and have had no issues.  Actually did it for safety reasons.  Since lifting it a foot my center of gravity went up as well.  To compensate I increased my width by 3 inches to lower it back down some.

Thank you for all the input. Sorry for the delay on an update. Here is what I have done/found so far. (I will add that these are my opinion, I am not an expert)

The Front rims went right on HOWEVER the lugs HAD to be changed due to the diameter of the seating (obviously the 2018 lugs are 14mm metric as well) I don't believe I will have any rubbing, etc issues at all. My standard lugs were to small & did not seat correctly.  See pic's: 

In the pic. Stock lug & aftermarket stock lug were to small.  The gold lug from napa 9/16 that matched the 2018 lug 60 degree seat & overall size fit perfect.(Napa Part # 641-1527 $3.29 each ,Ouch) It also matches the full stud length (the pic may look deceiving on that, but it fits)

Then it gets interesting:

Rear Axle: Outer diameter of the of the axle is 1/32nd bigger than the rim's molded center cap opening. Only because of the beveled edge. The depth of the molded center cap is appr: 5/8 to short to fit over the rear axle as well. (See pics)

My plan: Since we are literally talking such a small difference I plan to remove the part of the bevel (and just a hair more) so it will slide on. (This area that I am removing/trimming is NOT part of where the rim seats to the hub & I will check balance after)  I am not a fan of spacers/adapters, etc since the 70's as they were used recklessly, however after reviewing what's available now. I have ordered a 1.5' adapter (not a cheapo)  (Moparman I appreciate the pic's you posted about spacers & adapters, but I believe the right fitment will make all the difference.)

I was going to find dust covers for the napa lugs, but I believe I found some lugs online of the right size that are closed end & complete for a lot less than $3.29 a piece. (You just HAVE to take the time & sort out the china junk)

I will update again asap.  

Lug seating differences.jpeg

Front lugs differences.jpeg

Bolted on.jpeg

Rear Axle width.jpeg

Rear Tire inside opening.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 9:56 PM, OmahaGen2 said:

Ok first time posting on a forum so if I put this in the wrong category..beat me accordingly. Btw, this site has been Awesome in helping me sort out updates & upgrades for my 99 so Big Thank you to all that contribute.

4th gen 2500 OEM 18" wheels fit a 2nd gen 2500?  From what I have read thus far, yes they will. Only 1 issue & that being the axle being out about an inch or so farther on the Gen2.  2" spacers on rear only apparently remedy that. 4th gen tires are 275/70/R18

I have 20" on mine now, but am wanting to downsize just a little. 

I did find a pic of someone that just recently put the very wheel combo I am wanting to buy on his 1998 with the 2" spacers on the rear with zero problem (so he stated)

Anyone have any other info on this be it good or bad??  Thx for the input.

1998 Dodge with 2018 18 wheels.jpg

Update: (I am still learning the in & out's of messaging, etc on this forum.) Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, work continues to get in the way.

Wheels on on. 

1.5" spacers were needed for the rear axle as the one piece Wheel/Center Cap was 5/8" to short to fit the axle. I did have to file less than 1/32" off of the inside center diameter on the rear for it to fit Over the rear axle.  (this was NOT an area of the wheel that supplied part of the seat)

The rear still has 100% full seat to the spacer (as it would have to the drum as well) 

The front bolted right on.

Otherwise the Lug Nuts were an issue:

2018 OEM wheels are 14MM threads, 1999 lugs are 9/16th

The Napa lug nuts (see previous post) worked perfectly for fitment, but were open ended & not finished.

I have a set that are closed & finished that should work on the way from 2 different suppliers & will follow up with that soon as that is done.

2018 wheels bolted on.jpg

Hey Guys sorry it's been so long since I followed up. It's that time of year so business is starting to pick up (no complaints).

Wheels and tires are on secure & complete.

Here are a couple last details I dealt with making this swap out work.

It was barely a 1/32nd that I trimmed off the inner cap on just the rear wheels. I have already taken them in for blancing & we ended with less weights to correct the balance so Good to go there.

Lug Nuts:Ebay seller in SC Allens Wheels came up with the right thread & matching closed top.  $2.18 a piece oh well.

Otherwise it is riding very nice, driving solid. If any one is looking for a set of 20's wheels & tires (on truck in my profile pic) OR a set of stock 16' with center cap.  Both set's of wheels have 96% tread depth left. 

I get an ad up tomorrow sometime.  All the best !