• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Drive shaft U joint at Rear diff Yoke

Gents,

I have done some searching online and have not been able to solve my problem.   Under acceleration I can hear a squeaking noise while accelerating however when I am decelerating in gear I can also hear the noise I believe my needle bearings have worn out on the u joint it’s self.  Granted the 20 to 80 mile an hour pulls don’t help much??‍♂️. Any help with the sizing would be greatly appreciated. Spicer sizes preferred!

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yep... Just go to your local NAPA store and get the u-joints. Personally, don't bother with Spicer its not going to be last any longer. You need something you can grease. Unless you plan on pressing out the u-joints every oil change and greasing them. 

Spicer makes a greasable joint. At our shop we use only these joints on 3/4 ton and up trucks.

• Thanks 1

I like sealed better as long as they last. Replaced the front with zerksmbecause already them from long ago. But my front and  rear drive shafts are both still runing on the sealed oe joints at 463k. I dont think new ones are the same now though. I dont like having to grease things.

Edited by dripley
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Yep... Just go to your local NAPA store and get the u-joints. Personally, don't bother with Spicer its not going to be last any longer. You need something you can grease. Unless you plan on pressing out the u-joints every oil change and greasing them. 

Did I ever tell you all about my Spicer ball joints? :whistle::mad:

17 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

i get sealed as well, stronger and before i install i over pack them to make sure plenty o grease. havent had a problem doing this

Don't overpack too much, may push seals out later when you're not looking, ask me how I know :duh: 

I replaced with all greasables and pump em up every oil change.  Haven't had any problems with them and I give em hell fairly often.  Also my drive angle on my rear shaft is an unhealthy 12°...even worse on the front shaft at 15°.  I have 7 total on the truck including front axle shafts.  It takes a few minutes to get em all greased but it gives me something to do while 3 gallons of oil is draining out. 

• Staff

I stick with sealed as well, stronger and typically last longer. 

The only greasable joints I've had any luck with is OE Toyota stuff. 187K on the 4Runner and still going strong, my older 4Runner and P/U were the same, even with wheeling and oversized tires.