• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No Sound from Front Speakers

My OEM radio was getting on my nerves.  It would stop displaying the clock at random times and there was no sound from the front speakers.  My wife got tired of not being able to change the radio stations because she couldn't see the display so she bought me a new Pioneer system.  I connected it all up and everything works except the front speakers are still dead.  I started searching Google looking for info about no front audio and it seems there is a choke relay that feeds the front speakers for the amps.  I looked in the Dodge FSM and sure enough it says if there is no sound from the front speakers then troubleshoot the choke relay.  I checked the wiring diagram and I have 12v to the relay from the radio (lime green wire) but no voltage to the amp (at least at the drivers side).  Any one ever have to replace this relay.  A quick Google search turned up nothing for it.  Is it just a basic relay?  Is the relay separate from the choke or is it all one unit.  From the pics I found online it looks to be all one unit.  When I have more time I'll see about getting it out and try jumpering the relay to see if I can get any sound out of the front to verify its actually bad.

radio choke relay.gif

So, according to this wiring diagram it looks like all the speakers run through the on speaker amps.  My rears work so that means the amps are powering on but I was reading no voltage on the blk/rd wire which is the power on from the relay.  Guess I have some more troubleshooting to do.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Another one, I seen the same problem and it turned out to be the factory stereo had failed. I would find an old speaker and probe the outputs and see if there is sound or not. This will tell you if its a stereo issue or a speaker issue.

I don't think its the stereo because the OEM stereo and the new one both have the same issue.  I suppose both fronts are bad but that dont explain the tweeters.  I also ohm'd out the front drivers side speaker wire and I have continuity from the stereo plug to the plug inside the door so there isn't a broken wire (at least on that side).

I will see if I have an old car speaker to test out the output.  That's a good idea.  Thanks.

Edited by hdpwipmonkey

I just finished up with work till Monday so hopefully I can find some time between my Heroes On the Water event and trying to get my back yard in usable shape that I can run to Wally-World and buy some cheap 6x9s to test out the front channel to see if maybe just the speakers are bad.