• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tried The Herko Fuel Transfer Pump - With Test Video

Before I lay down big bucks for a FASS or Airdog I decided to give the Herko fuel lift pump a try. 1998.5 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9L 24V.
The Herko pump Installed pretty easily. I had to grind one corner off the mounting plate on the pump to make it fit. My stock location is left rear of engine block. My Herko pump did not come with the 90 degree adaptor for the fuel line from tank hook up. It is not needed. I was able to clip my stock fuel line on to it no problem. The rest of the details and psi readings are here in the video.

Yep a FASS or Airdog is likely in my future. We'll see how this Made In China Herko pump holds up. I can monitor it with my gauge. I will carry my spare stock Carter pump for long trips!

Stock Carter 10 psi at Idle. Drops to 6.5 psi pulling hard on a hill. Herko pump 16 psi at idle. Drops to 9 psi pulling hard on a hill.

https://youtu.be/JzvnjtBpQIw

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

A word of caution and advice....

I purchased a Herko pump for my 1998.5 3500 4x4 Quad Cab with auto trans in 2016. It was to be used as a priming pump only, as at that time I had converted to the Fuel Boss mechanical pump.  from Glacier Diesel Power.

The pump was a 'tight fit' on my vehicle, and after two days...this happened.

(It leaked first as it had cracked leaking air into the fuel stream, causing the engine to run very rough- It broke completely as I was trying to remove it. Major PITA.)

The Airtech-Wells pump comes with the needed 90 degree adapter fitting, and so far has not leaked or broken off. It costs about four times as much, but it works. YMMV.

IMG_20190801_154240.jpg

IMG_20190801_154359_1.jpg

IMG_20190801_154417.jpg

• Sad 1

So far no problem here.  Been running the Herko since March. Lots of towing. Depending on the load I’m towing it maintains 10-12-14 or so psi at 65 mph. 

Not awesome but certainly better than the stock Carter pump. I’m saving pop-cans to get the mechanical pump off the crank. Hopefully my VP holds out. Lol. 

Edited by keithb7

Roger that. I hope so too. The one I had for two days had great fuel pressure - tested by removing the drive belt from the mechanical pump and observing fuel pressure on my FP gauge. That is- until the back cracked and leaked air in.

My first clue should have been how hard it was to get installed on the bracket, and the extreme hard angle on the fuel line.  Good Luck with yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up report. Two week vacation towing a 23 ft travel trailer all around. Trailer is probably 6,000 lbs loaded up. Lots of driving. Lots of hills. Hiway speeds too. ISS Pro fuel gauge that I installed and trust, gives me readings.  60-65 mph on flat nets me about 12 psi.  Lots of hills (up and down) and winding roads. Backing off the throttle for corners and down-hills, fuel pressure quickly goes back to 14-16 psi. At idle maintains about 17 psi.  Pulling hard up steep hills, watching all my gauges, I back off throttle and gear down. I maintain 10-11 psi. 10-12 lbs boost. 1,000F EGT.  Stock engine and newer stock turbo. 

So far the Herko is hanging in there. VP-44 temps? I have no idea. I do go over 14 psi fairly often. Guessing it’s doing an adequate job cooling. 

Edited by keithb7

• Staff

Those times when the VP is getting the hottest is when you need to stay above 14 psi. Going uphills hauling heavy, you should never see below 14 and many others like myself know the variations between brands of fuel pressure gauges know staying at 15 gives a little better safety margin against causing a slow death to the vp. 

Any pressures above 14 keeps the overflow valve wide open and therefore lets maximum return flow take heat away from the VP. This is according to Mopar1973Man. 

Are you running two stroke oil mixed with the fuel fo lower scoring values as specified by Bosch? ULSD has too high of score value, but tests show how well 2 cycle oil gets it within realm.

Many VP's have gone out right after a lift pump failure.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

So far the Herko is hanging in there. VP-44 temps? I have no idea. I do go over 14 psi fairly often. Guessing it’s doing an adequate job cooling. 

Look at it this way... The minimum oil pressure is 10 PSI at idle and 30 PSI at 2,000 RPM. How long would you expect an engine to last with oil pressure dipping down close to the minimum values?

Now VP44 is cooled and lubed with only fuel. The overflow vale is only open at 14 PSI and up. Now if your pulling a grade and the pressure is dipping to 10 to 12 PSI would be like engine oil pressure dropping to 25 to 27 PSI at 2,000 RPM. It might not fail today but it does add up to extra wear on the VP44

• Like 1

Ya, you guys are right. Thanks for the reminder. 

I was pulling a long steep hill towing the trailer.  2x I pulled over, part way  up, to let the fuel pressure build up to 17. Sat for a while at idle to cool down the VP.  It helps probably, but it ain’t right, nor the solution. 

Enough screwing around. I’ll order up the mechanical pump, off the crank pulley. 

Edited by keithb7

• 3 weeks later...

I had to replace my VP44 after the computer in the VP44 quit. I purchased my replacement pump from Blue Chip Diesel, and determined after reading all the information about the problems with the original fuel system, determined that the Glacier Diesel Fuel Boss was the best way to go. I also installed a fuel pressure gauge and big line kit, along with replacing the original lift pump. The electric lift pump is a back up, and runs to prime the fuel system after a filter change or maintenance. The engine usually fires almost instantly with the mechanical pump, pressure builds quickly at idle to 17 pounds pressure.

The Fuel Boss Pump consistently maintains minimum fuel pressure at 17 pounds, and will rise to around 18 if engine RPM is increased to around 3000 rpm or over. I also practice premixing about 1 ounce per gallon of two-stroke oil in the diesel at refueling time. 

VP44's are expensive, and if treated right, they can last and be reliable.

Best of Luck with yours....

• 10 months later...

Was considering the herko but I've seen several issues with the plastic parts. Can anyone chime in on the Spectra Pump with the full metal casing (looks like the stock Carter)? Says 15 to 29 psi with 58 to 68 gph. Would it be a good replacement?