• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24 valve engine

Looks like I hashed my engine. I'm not finding many good used ones, so considering a reman unit. Are there any decent reman companies out there? Checked Jasper and their prices are pretty high. I really can't justify $10k to put an engine in a 20 year old truck that's only worth about $10k...... 

How bad did you hash it? Is it not worth rebuilding? Your'e from back my way. I see used engines for sale on Craiglist from time to time. That's how I found one to replace my 53 block. Also check the used auto parts yards. Harr'ys U Pullit  has several locations now in PA and is a huge yard. I'm sure there's something out there for a lot less than 10k.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/d/union-bridge-cummins-24-valve-engine/6811764227.html

I just noticed you have a 99. The CL link I provided is an 01. You want to try to get a 98.5 or 99 year engine for your truck if you go the used route. Some early 00 might work too. There's a difference in sensors between early and late models that makes interchanging them a nightmare. There's an article here if you wish to study up on the subject. Personnaly I'd try to rebuild what you have if it's possible. Too bad @Ed ke6bnl is on the other end of the country. That engine would be perfect. Could be a produce hauler out there looking to fill the load and bring it along east with him. It's pretty common this time of the year for produce from CA to be hauled back here to PA. Just a thought.

Edited by dave110
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Can I ask what it means when you say you hashed your engine?

#5 injector cracked and was dumping fuel. Hashed up the #5 hole and beat up the head. The cylinder is just past the limit for boring. 

14 hours ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

Where are you located, I have a 99 with 80k still in wrecked truck BUT I am in So. California 

also has the DTT built transmission and transfer case

Messaged you....

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

May I ask what brand of injectors/nozzles, how many miles on them. Any signs of it happening.

Unknown brand, could have been the stock ones. Truck has 300k+ miles. The only sign was blowing lots of gray smoke and a miss and a slight knock at idle. I didn't pick up on the smoke right away as it was dark and foggy weather. Babied it to a truck stop and elected to tow to a nearby shop, but the damage was done.