• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dreaded White smoke.

I have white smoke when I start up. Smells like oil. Doesn’t matter the outside temp. Also when I accelerate (under load) there a haze of white smoke but clears up when I get to speed. Doesn’t matter if the Quad is on or off.

It did this with the old 75hp injectors and still with the new 150hp injectors. No loss of coolant or loss of power. The head gasket and ARP head-studs where replaced last year. Had the head rebuilt while it was off. 

Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help. 

At first I was going to say valve seals, but you're saying on the acceleration it does it too, that points more towards turbo imo. 

You can also check your valve seals make sure they didn't pop off the seat and got beat up by retainers. That's what happened with my new rebuilt head. 

17 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

At first I was going to say valve seals, but you're saying on the acceleration it does it too, that points more towards turbo imo. 

I agree on the turbo, seals are tired most likely.

5 hours ago, 903Dodge said:

Why would the turbo cause that? How would I go about diagnosing it? How do I check the valve seals? 

I have a lot of questions lol. 

When my turbo blew up the road behind me was all white for about a 1/2 mile.

• Like 1

Correction Blueish gray. I finally have enough sunlight to see it. 

Checked for front and back movement in the turbo. All is good.  

I am taking it to the shop that did the head work and let them check it outs. 

Edited by 903Dodge

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner
34 minutes ago, 903Dodge said:

Took the the truck to my mechanic (Finally)  and after a second opinion it’s just unburnt fuel during start up and when the temps are cooler.

I've got to ask what is your idle RPM? Then what is the reported engine load? I need both of these values from a fully warmed up engine. If the Engine RPM is above 800 RPM and engine load is below 5% I'm going to bet money the injectors are too low in pop pressure. 

On 3/21/2019 at 10:24 AM, Mad Bomber said:

When my turbo blew up the road behind me was all white for about a 1/2 mile.

Ditto. When I blew the turbo in my Jetta TDI into two halves, I couldn't even see the traffic behind me. Started to runaway, but thankfully couldn't build boost and I was able to jam it in 5th and hold the brake to shut it down. Good times...

• Haha 1

• Owner

White smoke... 

Timing retarded

excessive blowby

worn piston rings

pop pressure too low on the injectors

valve lash incorrect

Basically white smoke is unburnt fuel that didn't ignite. Being that compression creates the heat to vaporize the fuel to make it go bang. Now that makes you think of all the things that might affect compression or fuel atomization. Finer the automation of the fuel the easier it is to ignite. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I would like to add some info as I am experiencing blue smoke as well.  I just had the head replaced about 6 mos ago.  I thought that the valve seals were bad/failed.  I know in a gas engine if it smokes at startup only it typically was valve seals.  When I was on I-70 going through Aspen, they had the road blocked and I sat with the engine running for over 30 min.  Just sitting there it looked like I was fogging for mosquitoes as a lot of blue smoke was pouring out.  Once I was in motion, the blue smoke eventually dissipated.  So, from what I understand is it could be blow-by if the vent tube was blocked or clogged or the turbo seals need replaced.(exhaust side).  I am so anal about the little things I need your help to steer me in the right direction.  You mention timing, but I've been running an Edge Lvl 3I for the last several years.  I know I need a Quad, but I am not there yet.  Not sure if it is related but I am now averaging 17.5 - 18 mpgs for the last few months.  The last time I had that kind of economy, my VP44 went out. I'm sorry I don't want to muddy this feed.  I'll leave it at that.  Anyway, Thank you for your help.

• Owner

When the head was done was the valve guides all replaced? If not the valve seals will not hold up. The valve will move and rock and tear up the valve seals. Typically if you in the smoke it will smell like burning engine oil. 

Do you have any P0216 code? Bad injection pump with a stuck or seized timing piston will create some weird issues. 

How old are the injectors (mileage)? It's possible the pop pressure is too low and the idle spray pattern is pissy and creating the blue smoke from poor pop pressure. This will have the smell of raw fuel and typically burns the eyes. 

The head is a brand new head as well as valves, valve springs and seals.  I currently have 50hp injectors that were installed May of 2011.  The blue smoke is definitely oil by the smell.  The codes I was picking up P0341 and P1693.  I have received these several times.  Just last week I had the cam position sensor replaced.  Since then I haven't driven it enough to regenerate these codes.