• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fass install Question

I just finished installing the quadzilla this evening and man am i happy with that choice. Brought the ole dually back to life and then some. I’m planning on installing my new Fass 95 signature series at some point this weekend. My truck has the pump on the block, per the instructions from Fass my fuel suction will

be utilizing the factory setup. Now I’ve read about 1/4 tank issues and updating to a better draw straw..but what if I never run my fuel that low..do I still need to make this upgrade? Or am gonna need to go a different route?

• Staff

Jake you can't run a VP engine even stock without maintaining a minimum of 14 p.s.i. fuel pressure. You need to have a fuel pressure gauge to see your above 14 all the time and during long grades or hauling heavy. 14 psi is the magic number because that's when the overflow valve opens enough to allow return fuel back to the tank from the VP. that is what does the cooling of the injection pump. Usually this means placing the pump on the frame and changing over to a big line kit so the lift pump doesn't work so hard to maintain the flow and pressure needed.

Also are you using 2 stroke oil to help the VP

Yes sir I understand all that that’s why I’ve bought the new pump, and the parts for the Guage on the way. I was just curious about the installion process because all the info online seems to pertain to trucks with retrofit pumps in the tank

I run an AD in mine. I pull the fuel from the basket. No quarter tank issus what so ever. It will drain the tank dry. Mine was an in tank conversion so the basket is different from OE. Both my engine and pump return line go directly to the basket also.

The quarter tank issue I have read about is usually from a draw straw outside the basket being installed improperly. By that I mean cut to short. This would allow air to be sucked in while sloshed in tank when fuel level was low. 

I think either way is fine as long as you do it right. 

My straw is close enough to the bottom of the tank that I can slide 2 stacked quarters under it.  It's been about 3 years now and I can run my tank low enough to trigger the low fuel light.  I don't like to do that, but I can.  The only thing I notice is that when I do have less than 1/4 and my truck sits overnight on an inclined surface, I sometimes need to bump the starter to run the pump for a few seconds to get it to fire up.  I don't like any of my vehicles getting below 1/4 so it really hasn't been an issue. 

• Like 2

• Owner

Try getting down to the empty mark. I've been down below the 1/8 tank with the low fuel light on. I'm like you, I don't like being below 1/2 tank either because of the distance I do travel. Quadzilla is very handy that my fuel gauge is rather strange. The half mark is true 17.5 gallons to fill. Then 3 gallons later I drop from 1/2 to 1/4 tank. Even as its falling below 1/4 I've still got 10 gallons. Instead of panic time, I was very relaxed knowing that I had plenty of fuel yet. When I did fill up I was only off by 0.3 gallons. 

On 3/24/2019 at 10:17 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Try getting down to the empty mark. I've been down below the 1/8 tank with the low fuel light on. I'm like you, I don't like being below 1/2 tank either because of the distance I do travel. Quadzilla is very handy that my fuel gauge is rather strange. The half mark is true 17.5 gallons to fill. Then 3 gallons later I drop from 1/2 to 1/4 tank. Even as its falling below 1/4 I've still got 10 gallons. Instead of panic time, I was very relaxed knowing that I had plenty of fuel yet. When I did fill up I was only off by 0.3 gallons. 

When my low fuel light comes on I have 9 gallons left so my gauge is way off.  I guess when I eventually put in a new pickup in tank i can adjust that as well.

L8tr

D

2 hours ago, SilverMoose said:

When my low fuel light comes on I have 9 gallons left so my gauge is way off.  I guess when I eventually put in a new pickup in tank i can adjust that as well.

L8tr

D

My oe sender was like. When I got the intank pump it got reversed abd now when the light comes on I have about 3.5 gallons. At half tank i have sbout 14. First time drove with a full tank I got hit about 420 miles. I really thoght that in tank pump a MPG miriacle until I saw the second half disappear in 225 miles.

• Haha 1