• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help broken axle U-joint

So both front axle u-joints had about 250,000 on them one blew near civilization got that one fixed didn't think about the other side at the time since I found a shop in the town I was staying at to fix it that day they slipped me in and got it done a half hour before they closed so then the other side blew coming through a mountain pass and now I'm in a hotel with no options for repair and wondering if I could do this in a parking lot with no press.  Otherwise for the first time in 15+ years of owning the truck I will have to abandon it until Monday when shops in this town (Boscobel WI) open. Any suggestions?  Sorry if I put this in the wrong section 

• Sad 1

Thanks my assistant/employee is on his way up here with tools to try and pull the axle shaft here in the parking lot I found a local that has a press and he is willing to let us use to try the repair I have already acquired a new part.  The more I think about it these may actually be the original's with 378,000 miles on them.

Edited by WiscoRedkneck
  • Like 1

• Owner

A good suggestion... That all suspension and u-joints that are pressed just get replaced every 100k miles. If anything makes it as far as ours at 350k to 400k miles it's just totally insane to get the rusted parts or of axles and shafts. I'd rather change out a good joint at 100k miles easily than fight a rusted u-joint that been in place for 17 years of rust. UGH!

My front axle joints were not as bad as expected, once i figured out to tighten up the press then hit the screw with a hammer. Mine has not spent alot of time in the salt country. At least it was nothing like changing my first unit bearing.

Success, truck trailer and I are back home safe.  Well all I can say is the only thing that went off without a hitch was getting the hub assembly off, since that was changed with the rotors a few weeks ago. Everything else sucked the axle shaft didn't want to come out at first, issues with the aftermarket locker I have in there can't say why but we had to wiggle the center section while someone pulled on the axle.  Once out the clips were rusted in place well the last two remaining :whistle2:, apply heat and they came free.  So now about that press fit/rust weld, apply heat add oil try again (fyi were are using an inducer coil or something like that so no torch) tried to separate the beast which should be easy right he's got a "100 ton" farm built press.  Well it's got a gauge that said we hit 55 tons and nothing he wasn't sure if he wanted to push harder on it.  We figured let time do its work so during a sit down enjoying a frosty beverage I about **** myself as did everyone else when it let go haven't heard anything sharp bang louder than that was that I can recall.  Put everything back together in no time at all and enjoyed a 3 hour ride home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WiscoRedkneck said:

Success, truck trailer and I are back home safe.  Well all I can say is the only thing that went off without a hitch was getting the hub assembly off, since that was changed with the rotors a few weeks ago. Everything else sucked the axle shaft didn't want to come out at first, issues with the aftermarket locker I have in there can't say why but we had to wiggle the center section while someone pulled on the axle.  Once out the clips were rusted in place well the last two remaining :whistle2:, apply heat and they came free.  So now about that press fit/rust weld, apply heat add oil try again (fyi were are using an inducer coil or something like that so no torch) tried to separate the beast which should be easy right he's got a "100 ton" farm built press.  Well it's got a gauge that said we hit 55 tons and nothing he wasn't sure if he wanted to push harder on it.  We figured let time do its work so during a sit down enjoying a frosty beverage I about **** myself as did everyone else when it let go haven't heard anything sharp bang louder than that was that I can recall.  Put everything back together in no time at all and enjoyed a 3 hour ride home.

Cheers! :cheers: