• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What fluid for the 47re Trans?

• Owner
14 minutes ago, Evan said:

Atf 4 ranking just above water in my list.

What you don't like running transmission that is spec'ed for your 47RE transmission? Strange how NV5600 and NV4500 freak out about keeping spec'ed fluids in use.

47RE mix and match and go for it. If your 47RE it's modified it will run a wider range of fluids. Stock transmission I would have to suggest sticking to the ATF+4.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Atf 4 is good fluid for seals and bearings and increasing time between service intervals. I by no means saying not to use it and I guess I shouldn't place it last. It's just a very slippery synthetic. 

I'm keeping tabs on 3 47re's

Mine a full build red mixed with tractor transmission 

A stock 47 straight tractor trans.

A slightly built 47 with multi vehicle semi synthetic.

I had my 47 built at 280ish k. When it quit going do to bands.  It ran on tractor trans for alot of years stock. With only pressure turned up alittle. internals looked very good for a high mileage trans. Clutches could have survived longer. Band needed replaced so myswell build.

Worst part about tractor fluid is seeing it on the stick.

Check out the fluid power driven diesel puts out. Its vooooodoooo toooooo.

A well kept 47 on at4 definitely is good much better than going 150k and letting fluid turn to mud. Like alot of people do with there autos

• Like 1

• Owner

What I'm trying to point out there is a wide range of fluid people can use in transmissions (manual and auto). Just some people get way too hung up on fluid specs and fear of transmission damage. In either case the auto or manual all the parts are harden steel and bearings. Then the bands and clutch like syncros in the manuals. As long you understand what the requirements of the bands, clutch and syncros the door open up to a wide range of fluids you can use and viscosities and ratings. 

We are both in the modified transmission realm and using non-standard fluids and no problems. (Just make other members think)

10/4.

People thinking is good :)

I've been towing a 10k machine around boise. Finally decided I for sure want 2nd gear tourq converter lock.

soon I'll be dropping the valve body to do it. May make a few other tweaks to.

I can never leave good enough alone. Lol

Edited by Evan
  • Like 1

• Staff

Evan, your saying you went 280,000 miles on tractor fluid before a rebuild was needed on a 47re?  That seems like a long ways for an auto trans..... are others seeing less miles out of using the slippery regular +4?

Only the last few years.  3 or 4 

Yes it survived a long time I'm at 295 now she finally gave up about 280. 

Shes had everything from Fordf. To tractor fluid since the build. I wish tractor fluid was red instead of clearish color.

I doubt many 47s have seen 280 on any fluid. That's not the fluids  fault lack of maintenance kills them more than anything.

So on a way full synthetics are killing autos with they're lifetime fluid.

• Thanks 1

• Staff
23 hours ago, Evan said:

Only the last few years.  3 or 4 

Yes it survived a long time I'm at 295 now she finally gave up about 280. 

Shes had everything from Fordf. To tractor fluid since the build. I wish tractor fluid was red instead of clearish color.

I doubt many 47s have seen 280 on any fluid. That's not the fluids  fault lack of maintenance kills them more than anything.

So on a way full synthetics are killing autos with they're lifetime fluid.

I have a hard time understanding...... You did maintain your trans with regular fluid changes and you got around 280 K out of your stock trans, is that right? And your saying the tractor fluid helped it go longer even though it already had a lot of miles before you started using it? Is that right? 

T.I.A

• Owner
On 4/5/2019 at 6:14 AM, Evan said:

So on a way full synthetics are killing autos with they're lifetime fluid

This is the first time I've seen this comment. Way too many jumps on the synthetic bandwagon and attempt to extend out too far and cause more damage than the old petroleum based oils. Because of the enhanced cost of synthetic oils, most people are more prone to keeping the oil in service longer than it should. 

Regardless you need to check the fluid condition, color, smell, etc. Then make it a point change the fluid in something isn't right. Don't attempt to hang on to expensive synthetic fluids than are possibly washed out. 

Jag.

Correct it started slipping so I researched alot and found where some ran tractor transmission fluid. Specifically the sled pull guys. Lots of them run it and can get more pulls out of the trans. Also got to reading where its compatible to mix with automatic transmission fluids.

My tranny has a mix of fordf tractor transmission fluid right now and semi synthetic multi vehicle oil. 

I have a very hard time seeing the fluid on the stick I think fluid level is more critical than fluid used along with proper maintenance.

Like mopar man says if it looks tastes and smells bad it was time to service a long time ago.

Transmission fluid has such a hard job to do. Its main purpose is to be a fluid in a pump that creates pressure. This pressure applies the clutches this same fluid creates a lubricant on these wet clutches so additives are added to the oil to modify its friction characteristics to help clutches do they're job in the wet environment. 

But it still needs to be slippery to lube bearings seals and gears.  Now it must be capable to do this horrendous job while carrying clutch fibers while in a high heat environment. This is where full synthetics shine. Being slippery and going long intervals before breaking down. Most people dont keep a vehicle now days long enough to break down full syn transmission fluid. It's the 2nd or 3rd owner that runs into trouble.  Finds the tranny full of mud

I dont go off miles. I'm kinda seasonal I change fluid ever few months. Way way inside 20k miles. If I see color start changing I yank the drain bolt and do a service. I'll probly tinker to with pressure or springs.

I serviced a 2008 Toyota rav4 trans the other day I pulled the dipstick right next to the oil level indicators it said no need to change oil.  I got a chuckle out of that.

Though I was impressed that it had a dip stick.

If you're running a single disc converter (stock or otherwise), I would stick with ATF+4. You need the friction modifiers that it contains to keep your converter clutch from chattering. Otherwise, with a triple disc converter, which is the only setup I use and recommend, I typically run Dexron III with Lubegard "Black" ATF additive (one 10 oz bottle to a 20 qt system). I saw that someone recommended Ford Type F. I would definitely NOT recommend running that in a 47/48RE...

An initial service should be performed at 1500 miles after any major transmission work; ie. new converter, fresh rebuild, etc. This will get rid of the break-in debris that collects in the filter. After that, I recommend servicing every 25-30K miles under normal usage, and once a year if towing heavy with the truck.

• Like 2