• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Re: Tranny trouble

Hi guys/gals... 

Last summer (camping trip) I had an issue with a band anchor coming off and wedging itself in linkage.. this was coming up an incline and tranny made a slamming jolt from first to second. Long story short... local tranny guy reattached band/anchor. Drove home with camper and everything seemed okay. This lasted about a month... then it starting doing this double hit into second (like it didn't grab the first time).. then as tranny got warm I'd completely lose first gear. So.. when I first start out.. drives fine.. as it starts to warms (10-15 mins).. double hit first to second.. then when warm loses first gear. So.. winter came and I just parked it... until today. I decided to check things out.. same issue. Found that the fluid looked to be a quart over full tho... drained some out.. no change. Fluid does look somewhat cloudy or marble looking? 

I bought this truck with the tranny already built... to hold 850hp. The transmission did the slamming jolt one time before about 3 years ago.. Anyone have any insight as to what may be going on? What may be the cause of the jolting shifts happen.. I mean.. it hit super hard those two times. First time 3 years ago scared the **** outa me! Also... I can manually shift into first and it works fine... and 2nd to 3rd to overdrive shift fine.

And... anyone know why an anchor would come off? Is this an odd thing to happen?

Thanks...........

EDIT:

Would you just go to a regular local tranny shop in my situation or go somewhere that specializes in builds and diesel truck? The latter is 2 hours away... Anyone know of or can vouch for Muldoon's Diesel in Delaware? 

I want to go to someone that knows what they're doing and won't tell me I need a complete rebuild when I might not....

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

Could be band adjustment screw improperly set leaving everything too loose, so the anchor falls out. Are you adjusting the bands regularly?

No 2nd gear is definitely a front band/anchor/strut issue. Possibly front servo issue. Drop the valve body, everything is right there.

CT.. no issues with 2nd, 3rd or OD. It's 1st that's acting up. I have limited mechanical knowledge/skill... so I wouldn't know what I'm looking at if I were to drop the valve body :-(  Basically here to get an idea of what may be going on and not be taken advantage of when I decide to take it in.... 

Thank you

Take a look at this article. If you're slipping in 1st gear while in 'D', and not slipping in manual 1st, then the overrunning clutch (low roller clutch) has likely failed. Mine just spun the clutch cam/race, hadn't failed yet but noticed it on rebuild. Still trying to find a viable solution.

This is literally the last piece to come out of the trans case, so it's a full rebuild I'm afraid.

Edited by kzimmer
Spelling

26 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

So.. if that is the case. Does a full rebuild mean that all the components in my tranny are not worth using? 

Not necessarily, unless there is collateral damage. I myself pulled my case apart because I'm installing a billet input shaft. I thought I'd be silly not to put new clutches and seals in while it was apart. Took the opportunity to upgrade clutches. And then I found the damage. Was likely very close to what's happening to yours. Assuming that's the problem, I am by no means an expert, so please try to get an expert's opinion as well.

On 3/25/2019 at 5:47 PM, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Thanks kzim... just notice I ask in wrong forum. 

Where in Maryland are you located? Follow my guide above to see which clitches aren't working.

After that follow this guide for live pressure testing. It's fairly straight forward. 

I'm located in Jersey if you need a hand with some of the testing. Then we can give you a better direction to go with R&R work. 

My advice is go to a diesel performance shop and avoid everything else like the plague, most shops wouldn't even know how to play with a built Dodge auto. And in my case my truck runs on dextron not ATF and unless you know they won't and add in the wrong fluid.