• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Left me stranded today

Well I just ordered my new VP44........ouch $$$I just have to wait for it now and then install it. Did all of the check that were suggested by everyone...again Many Thanks to all of you. You need to know that you are all a very valuable resource to all of us that are.....not quite as knowledgeable about the CTD, and it's "quirks" Randy

You are going to need a gear puller to pull the gear off old pump. You may be able to rent, borrow or fabricate one. Here are a few links you may want to review before you to the R&R of the pump to keep fresh in your mind. These links and videos will help you to ensure you have all of the tools and supplies on hand to do the job and not stress out because you get stranded in the middle of the job because of a missing tool or other item: http://www.nwbombers.com/membersites/kent/vp44.html

or you can go here and get them all in the same place. I may have missed some: http://www.youtube.com/user/dieseldanmac#p/u Good luck and be sure to let us know how things go! :thumbup2:
  • Like 1

those are great instructional videos. its actually a pretty straight forward job. i would just push the issue of making sure the pump key is at 12 oclock it will fall in the gearcase if not paying attention then it wont be such a easy job. and i dont have a special puller. i use a standard t-bar puller from oreilly's i've had for years and it works great.

Some folks super glue or locktite the key on the shaft so it won't fall off. Definitely some cheap insurance. Just be sure the key is installed the correct way or that timing will be a little off. I think the video's cover that too.

• Like 1

Well fellers, I got around to installing my VP on Sunday morning, It really went pretty smooth all things considered.The whole job took me about 5 hrs to complete, but I also removed the radiator and shroud ect and de-greased and power washed all of that due to other posts about how dirty it gets in between the rad and the inter cooler, mine was pretty dirty!!I also washed down the front of the engine and the engine bay before disassembly, I don't like to work on anything when it's dirty, makes the job go faster in the long run I think!The only thing I wished I had seen earlier was the suggestion to possibly change the cam position sensor while the pump is out......I am not sure how often these fail but it looks like a lot easier job when the pump is out than if it fails later.Please, all of you accept my heartfelt thanks for all of your advice during this past endeavor...".CHFS".....Cummin's Heart Failure SyndromeCummin's better than Strokin any day

I was told dealers quote 8 hours. So you did it and all the cleaning in 5?, Nice work! Nice to see you look ahead at things down the road too. Sounds like you should be set for a long time. How does it run now?