• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rebuilding the G100 ground

So my G100 ground was in very sorry shape. I believed it to be the problem causing a no start issue I have been experiencing. Unfortunately it wasnt the proble, but I thought Id share anyway. The picture shows how I set it up. 

The materials I used were a Blue Seas bus bar (2300, included cover not shown), tefzel wire from mil spec wire 16, 14, 12, ancor marine cable for the 6ga ground cables, 3M High temp butt and ring connectors, and DSG heat shrink, tesa tape. The ground hardware is stainless steel 5/16  (bolt, washer, fender, star washer, nut, lug, star washer, nylock, nickel anti sieze).

I put the new ground "studs" right next to the old for the top one, and back a little and on the slope of the fender for the original g100, to encourage drainage (one major reason my oem ground was so badly corroded was because water would pool there when the hood was cracked for the trickle charger and it rained)

One interesting item of note is that where the wiring harness Y's from the G100 to the top ground, one of the larger 12ga wires that attaches to the top ground simply runs back down to the Y and to the g100 spot. I was able to simplify it a little with this set up. I wanted to be able to diagnose each of the ground wires separately.

Let me know if I should change anything.

20190324_234253.jpg.a3b10cb81550b8f3b6372b18c658b702.jpg

20190324_234223.jpg

• Like 1

• Owner

Little extreme. Looks stellar for getting it all on a terminal strip. 

Could have just stripped all the wires, stuffed a single ring terminal and soldered the ring terminal to the wires. Then bolted back directly to the fender. The insulated terminal strip has a bad side is that now all these independent connections has full exposure to water and oxidation. It will work but comes at a price that more exposed metal to water and air will oxidize faster. This is why the factory had it all jammed in a ring terminal soldered. Less, exposed area to the elements.  

I should have enough slack where if I decide its ridiculous I can just go back to the stockish setup. That large open barrel with no weather protection just rubbed me the wrong way. Im pretty confident in the weather protection as it is
 now, though. The ring terminals are nickel and the 6a wire lugs tin plated, and the wire is all tinned. I think the strip is stainless. it has a cover as well.