• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HORRIBLE HORRENDOUS mileage

Had a code reader on it a week ago there was nothing at all have not tested the iat  sensor or ect sensor is that something that wouldn’t show up on a scan

So is there no tips as to what it could be because it’s definitely not my 265/75/16 tires that have proper inflation and rotation and balance and no brake drag 

• Owner

Both?

A transmission that is slipping excessively can produce excessive heat, work energy wasting in slipping parts convert work into heat and translates to lower MPG

OBDII live tool should be part of your home tool kit. Extremely cheap and work with most Smart Phones. Like I've got a OBDLink LX series which is sold for $49 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=obdlink+lx&qid=1554436859&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Manufacture site.

http://www.obdlink.com/

• Like 1

I ended up taking it in to a local diesel shop they told me that my used injector pump that I’ve had for four years is actually the wrong pump for the truck  and that that would affect the fuel mileage 4 to 5 miles per gallon 

I’m going to replace the pub and I will let you guys know if that fixes the problem

He told me that the pump I have is for commercial and ambulance services and is not the right application but I could search around and find a different key that fits the pump if I can find one .you guys think it’s hog wash this theory? 

• Owner
Just now, Jesniccad said:

He told me that the pump I have is for commercial and ambulance services and is not the right application but I could search around and find a different key that fits the pump if I can find one

I'm doubtful. I've seen guys pull bread truck engines and stuff them in Dodge body. They look the same and typically no big differences. The only thing is the Dodge ECM and PCM has to be used. The VP44 itself is a dumb pump. The PSG unit on the pump only has 3 jobs. 

1. Set fuel amount (duration)
  2. Set timing (BTDC degrees)
  3. Report any errors back to the ECM.

3A52991E-DD7B-4A98-9D54-D10C03338952.jpeg

1850 rpms 71 mph 

More like 1900

He told me my truck sounds more like a 12 valve not this nappy sound of a 24 valve  so he thinks that Paul is creating the wrong timing 

He thinks it doesn’t have the snap of a 24 valve and the pump is creating the wrong timing 

Check the model number on the pump yourself and see what it says. AS I remember the last 2 numbers will tell you what pump you have. If my memory serves me the last 2 numbers is what you are looking for. 27 is an SO pump, 28 is and HO and 29 is for the industrial applications.That is if IIRC

18 psi of boost is not unusual for a truck that has no boost elbow on it. The stock waste gate opens in that general area, 18 to 20 psi. 

The rpm still seems a little low for 70 but I dont remember how different the the OD gears are in the auto compared to the manual.

36 minutes ago, Jesniccad said:

That is how he found out I had a 29 is looking at the last two numbers and calling Bosch up 

If I do decide to replace the injector pump what pump should I go with and who should I order from? 

Earlier you said you had 27 and not a 29, thats why I mentioned it. Been this way since you bought it?