• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I earned a Doofus award!

I made a huge noob mistake yesterday.  I went to look at a friends 2012 Focus that was initially a coolant leak but had turned into a no crank issue as well.  I verified the relay was good then checked the starter.  I noticed the nut that retains the power wire was missing, held it down and car started.  I thought lets just remove the nut from the other post so we can find a matching one.  I grab my ratchet, reach up to the post, stop and think "I should disconnect the battery...no, I'll be fine"  :doh:.  I proceed to loosen the nut only to have the wrench flop over, connecting the power, the wrench and my wedding ring to a ground.  After the fireworks, I realize my wedding ring is REALLY hot and thankfully easy to remove .  Now I have some missing skin, blisters and a small electrical burn where my wedding ring once sat.  My wedding ring also had 2 spinning rings around the outside that are now fused in place.  Never again will I think I'm too old to relive mistakes of the past.  :nono: Thankfully it only burned slightly for about an hour and has been pain free since, but it sure looks like crap. 

file-24.jpeg

file1-12.jpeg

I know your pain @Sycostang67

When I was about 10yrs old I was helping my dad work on his car and he wanted to test the battery to see if it was charged (he was having problems getting the car to start if I remember correctly) so he grabbed 2 wires and an 1157 bulb and told me to hold the wires on the bulb while he touched the other ends to the battery.  So I held the wire with my thumb and fore finger to the side of the bulb :badidea: (I was 10, I didn't know any better).  If you know what an 1157 bulb looks like then you know what happened next.  As soon as he touched the wires to the battery and with me basically shorting the two wires together on the bulb there was a quick flash and the wire mostly just disappeared in a flash.  I looked down at my fingers and where the wire that was under my fore finger was is now a charred indent in my finger.  I remember it not hurting for about 5 minutes and then the pain started. :ahhh:  OUCH!  That's something I'll never forget.  I somehow managed to go to school for Electrical Engineering after that traumatizing ordeal later on in life. :shrug:

Edited by hdpwipmonkey
  • Like 2

I was fortunate enough to be trained by 2 military men in Electronics and Avionics.  We were taught that before we got into the plane we put watches into our pockets.  Nothing like a 24 volt Buss Bar to get your undivided attention!!  Airplanes don't use fuses but rather Circuit breakers and conduct a lot more current before they trip!!!

Michael

• Staff
10 hours ago, IBMobile said:

A painful lesion for sure.  I've been a mechanic for 49 years and married for 43 and to this day  I don't wear a wedding ring or any other jeweler for that very reason.   

I rarely have my ring on, and never while on the flight line or wrenching at home. I will wear it, but not when there is any work going on. 

Thought about getting my ring tattoo'd on, and even have the design worked up... just need to decide if I will or not. Getting another tattoo on the 12th so maybe I'll do it then. 

Guest 04Mach1

I'm a heavy duty diesel mechanic for a living. I was taught long ago to not wear jewelry when working with electrical and machinery. I can't remember the last time I wore a watch or even my wedding ring. 

Another habit I strongly recommend is to keep shirts tucked in while working on machinery. I've seen more than one mechanic have a close call when their shirt tail ended up caught up in a machine. Fan blades, belts, and turbos love to get ahold loose clothing. 

Being a mechanic is all about safety, not a fashion show.

Edited by 04Mach1

3 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I rarely have my ring on, and never while on the flight line or wrenching at home. I will wear it, but not when there is any work going on. 

Thought about getting my ring tattoo'd on, and even have the design worked up... just need to decide if I will or not. Getting another tattoo on the 12th so maybe I'll do it then. 

I never wore my ring to work and then I got one of the silicone rings from Qalo.  I really like it.  A lot lighter and more comfortable than metal and no shocky shocky :thumbup2:

• Like 1