• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil from breather tube

I know its been asked so forgive me, but I have done the Moparman mod and before I took my truck to the body shop I got maybe one drip of oil from the tube after 4 months with the mod. However after I got my truck back it drips after every trip. Just a small drop. I did the blow by test and it Is perfect. Is this normal or something I need to look into? Thanks guys! 

15 hours ago, Unreal Summit said:

I know its been asked so forgive me, but I have done the Moparman mod and before I took my truck to the body shop I got maybe one drip of oil from the tube after 4 months with the mod. However after I got my truck back it drips after every trip. Just a small drop. I did the blow by test and it Is perfect. Is this normal or something I need to look into? Thanks guys! 

How did you do the blowby test?  I'm getting ready to do mine and was looking for some tips.  Mine is a 98.5 and has the more modern breather. Would that have been a recall or were the first models done that way, just curious.  I bought it from my cousin who got it new and I know he didn't do it but it does have a couple recall notes under the hood but they seem to be computer reprograms.  

Mine drips every time I park it as well. FYI

34 minutes ago, Rotax3006 said:

How did you do the blowby test?  I'm getting ready to do mine and was looking for some tips.  Mine is a 98.5 and has the more modern breather. Would that have been a recall or were the first models done that way, just curious.  I bought it from my cousin who got it new and I know he didn't do it but it does have a couple recall notes under the hood but they seem to be computer reprograms.  

Got a picture of this more modern breather?

• Owner

When to worry... This is excessive blowby. Now to drip now and then is normal. As long as you don't lose a massive amount of oil then anything to worry about. Blowby test is junk in my opinion. You can have a cracked piston and still pass a blowby test. The only true test is compression or leak down testing. Skip 1the blowby way too many people end up passing with problems.

Image result for mopar1973man blowby

I just took the oil cap off while it was running and seen how much smoke was coming out and seen if the cap would jump around or not. Thats a poor man's way of doing it. I didn't think I had anything wrong with it but just caught me off guard when it started. Anyone got a easy way of making a catch can. I was thinking maybe a Gatorade bottle or something.

If you do decide to put a bottle on it to catch any dripping, just make sure it vents.  If it is sealed up tight, you will prevent the crankcase from venting and can cause other damage and likely more leaks.

• Like 1

• Owner

I'm not a fan of catch cans being they are no better than the factory plastic bottle slobbering all down the front of the engine. People forget to drain them on a schedule then end up with the same problem all over again from the stock plastic bottle that didn't work then and still doesn't work now. Just another mess maker... This is why I removed mine long ago. 

If you install a catch can with a filter the filter will plug eventually from the oil vapors and then still blow the tappet gasket or crank seals. Best leave it open pipe to drip on the road than attempting to catch it.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

2 hours ago, dripley said:

Got a picture of this more modern breather?

No photos, but it comes out the side cover. No vent on the gear case on mine. I’ll try to grab photo when it quits snowing. 

Here is a photo of outlet by starter

94A7CFE0-0130-4B5D-B3A5-4B7238EB5C8A.jpeg

Moparman that's true. I was going to put it at the end of the PVC pipe just so I ain't leaving marks all over the driveway. Not bad at all, but still. Guess I just let er rip 

5 hours ago, Rotax3006 said:

How big of a drip do u get?

Edited by Unreal Summit

1 hour ago, Unreal Summit said:

Moparman that's true. I was going to put it at the end of the PVC pipe just so I ain't leaving marks all over the driveway. Not bad at all, but still. Guess I just let er rip 

How big of a drip do u get?

About a quarter size. Equals about a quart every 3000 miles