• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Help!! No Boost or Power

CBond

• Owner

Just because Cummins is on the box doesn't mean Cummins manufactured the part. A lot of parts are made by different companies and relabeled as what ever brand. Kind of like some of Mopar oil filters are just Fram filters. As seen here... 

Image result for mopar oil filters and fram oil filters

Just like everyone thinks buying a Cummins Thermostat is going to be best. There are only 3 or 4 manufacturers of thermostats and Cummins doesn't manufacture any thermostats at all.

Food for thought...

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Food for thought...

Honestly a great thought.  Could you recommend me a map sensor, if I recall, it was around 90 bucks or so for a "Cummins" one but a quick google search puts some as cheap as 20 for some other brand.

• Owner
1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

Test it first.  Dont throw parts are it.   Scan your codes with a code scanner, the truck it trying to tell you what is wrong.

Good advise...

11 minutes ago, CBond said:

Could you recommend me a map sensor, if I recall, it was around 90 bucks or so for a "Cummins" one but a quick google search puts some as cheap as 20 for some other brand.

I wouldn't exactly buy a cheapie MAP sensor nor would I hunt for a name brand sensor either.

It could be a ground wire issue like what @dripley is fighting lately. The sensor ground is all crushed together in the loom. 

Like @Me78569 said do your testing and diagnostic work. Get your error codes and review the OBDII error code list in the article section it has all the steps for testing.  

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It could be a ground wire issue like what @dripley is fighting lately. The sensor ground is all crushed together in the loom.

Mine actually turned out to be the sensor. I bought a Standard Motor brand from Orielly's for $100. The other parts houses wanted near $200 for them. I thought Cummins was near that price too. I also have not seen one for $20;

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

wouldn't exactly buy a cheapie MAP sensor nor would I hunt for a name brand sensor either.

Like @Me78569 said do your testing and diagnostic work. Get your error codes and review the OBDII error code list in the article section it has all the steps for testing.  

Sweet! Sounds like a plan.  My local O'reilly's says they have a MAP sensor in stock with the lifetime warranty blah blah blah. If codes point to that I will probably just buy it and see.  Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. I'll let you know the turn out once I am home.  I do miss scanning codes with my edge haha.

So the code P0237.

I went ahead and bought a map sensor.  Truck definitely moves better and is not as sluggish but the quadzilla still doesn't show any boost.  My app says the max was 6 but the data log I am only seeing lots zeros.  Don't really understand why it is not showing boost. What to do next? Tempted to just put the edge back in but with everyone saying the Quadzilla is that much better I do not want to. 

• Owner
10 hours ago, CBond said:

So the code P0237.

You didn't do the P0237 testing, did you? This is not a Quadzilla fault but a wiring fault. 

Possible Causes

• Other DTCs
  • Boost Pressure Sensor
  • 5-volt Supply Circuit
  • MAP Signal Circuit Short To Ground
  • MAP Signal Circuit Short To Sensor Ground
  • MAP Sensor
  • Intermittent Wiring Problem
  • ECM

1. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DRBIII(R) scan tool, check for engine DTCs. If any 5-volt supply circuit DTC(s) exist, perform appropriate test. See DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE DEFINITIONS . If no 5-volt supply circuit DTC(s) exist, go to next step.

2. Start engine and allow engine to idle. Using scan tool, read MAP sensor voltage. If MAP sensor voltage is .2 volt or greater, go to next step. If MAPsensor voltage is less than .2 volt, go to step 4 .

3. Shut engine off. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, read MAP sensor voltage. If MAP sensor voltage is less than 2.35 volts, go to next step. If MAP sensor voltage is 2.35 volts or greater, go to step 9 .

4. Turn ignition off. Perform turbocharger boost pressure test. See TURBOCHARGER under AIR INDUCTION SYSTEMS in SYSTEM & COMPONENT TESTING - RAM PICKUP - DIESEL article. If boost pressure test passes, go to next step. If boost pressure test does not pass, repair as necessary.

5. Ensure ignition is off. Disconnect MAP sensor harness connector. MAP sensor is located on driver's side rear corner of cylinder head. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DVOM, measure voltage at terminal No. 1 (Orange wire) on MAP sensor harness connector. If voltage is 4.7-5.3 volts, go to next step. If voltage is not 4.7-5.3 volts, repair Orange wire between ECM and MAP sensor. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector.

6. Turn ignition off. Ensure MAP sensor harness connector is still disconnected. Disconnect ECM harness connector. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector. Using DVOM, measure resistance between ground and terminal No. 2 (Gray/Red wire) on MAP sensor harness connector. If resistance is 1000 ohms or greater, go to next step. If resistance is less than 1000 ohms, repair short to ground in Gray/Red wire between MAP sensor and ECM.

7. Using DVOM, measure resistance between terminal No. 3 (Black/Light Blue wire) and terminal No. 2 (Gray/Red wire) on MAP sensor harness connector. If resistance is 1000 ohms or greater, go to next step. If resistance is less than 1000 ohms, repair short between Black/Light Blue wire and Gray/Red wire.

8. Turn ignition off. Reconnect ECM harness connector. Using scan tool, read MAP sensor voltage. If MAP sensor voltage is greater than 4.5 volts, replace and program the ECM. See appropriate REMOVAL, OVERHAUL & INSTALLATION article. If MAP sensor voltage is 4.5 volts or less, replace MAP sensor. See appropriate REMOVAL, OVERHAUL & INSTALLATION article.

9. Turn ignition off. Visually inspect related wiring harness. and connectors between MAP sensor and ECM. Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched or partially broken wires. Visually inspect MAP sensor harness connector and ECM harness connector for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals. Check for any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) that may apply. Perform a wiggle test on the related wiring harnesses with the ignition on, engine not running. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, test is complete.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You didn't do the P0237 testing, did you? This is not a Quadzilla fault but a wiring fault. 

I don't have access to a DRBIII. They scan it and that's about it. I might have a friend that runs a shop that could help since he just got a new scanner.

I got a response from Quadzilla support now so hopefully something can be figured out. 

I did buy it new, and have doubled checked my map wiring. 

Oh alrighty I was under the impression you needed the reader for it. Sorry for misunderstanding. 

I'll try to do it tonight if I have time once I'm home and I'll also check the box. Quadzilla responded so I'll see what they say too. 

Thanks again. 

I went ahead and checked that pin on inside of the quadzilla and it was correct. 

Currently raining here so not going to be doing my testing today but I did have some questions. 

It says using a scan tool in the first couple steps to check voltages, do I just skip it or is there another way to do it without the scan tool?  

• Owner

If you could back probe the plug which I'm pretty sure you can't do. That would be the way to measure voltage. One way I really don't like is to take a sewing needle and push it into the wire as a test point. Then measure with a DVM. Afterward wipe a small amount of silicone in the needle holes.

I just take a straight pin and stick it into the connector parallel to with the wire. Just let the point slip thru between wire insulation and the connector seal. It does not poke hole into anything as long as you are careful inserting the pin,

• Thanks 1

Hey all, 

Sorry for the lack of responses from me, been a busy week.  Been in touch with Quadzilla Tech and they have been somewhat helpful but not a whole lot.  I decided to unplug the Quadzilla from my map sensor and let the truck run factory.  Runs a lot better than before and can actually go up hills and have some throttle response.  I am thinking there is an issue with the Quadzilla or the harness not getting the signal but I haven't checked it yet, been too busy.

Thanks for ideas on how to probe the sensor without the scan tool.  

Hope everyone has a good Friday, thanks again!