• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty s03 today :)

Rolling through Craig's list see a s03 for 250. It's an older add he says he still has it. I'm like ****.

I ask if I can take the programmer for a spin. Get it loaded on 9 and he rides with me.  Get out on street and stand on it , I'm like **** I wasnt expecting that. Hes like what turbo is that it whistles he thought it was something cooler then a stock hy35.

Pretty much roll around the block. Pay him and we go on our merry way.

7x09 injectors + s03 = fun

Edited by Evan

I would warn against being too throttle aggressive down low with a S03, it does not pull timing at heavy throttle low RPM which can result in head gasket issues.  The chance is higher since you have aftermarket injectors. I would make headstuds and a new turbo high on your list of things to get.  

Here are datalogs for each setting.  The running sw9 effectively means you are maxing duration by ~%35 throttle input. 

SW9

sw9.PNG

SW7
Sw7.PNG

Sw 5
sw5.PNG

SW3
sw3.PNG

The Difference in the power from sw3 and sw9 is all in the butt dyno / head.  I would HIGHLY suggest running sw3 or sw 5 to make your throttle pedal not be a light switch.

This thread prob has the most info on the internet in terms of what a S03 does.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2

Psi doesn't matter with a headgasket, timing, fuel and rpms does.  

The smarty will give you 18* or timing at 1000-3000 RPM with full duration.  

18* at 1100 RPM with full fueling is REALLY tough on stock head bolts.

• Like 1

The smarty will command %100 duration and 18* of timing at 1000 RPM and up.  Be careful that will lead to head gasket issues.  

For reference stock tuning would command 12* of timing in the same situation with % 50 duration

Gasket issues don't happen at high rpm on VP trucks.  They happen at lugged high throttle situations.

You got me scared.  Lol

I saw studs arp for 161 and theres up to 400. I'll have to do more research on studs. Maybe the arp I saw were for a different application.

Trust me I want a quad. I might just get rid of both the s03 and superchips and do a turbo. 

Turbo I have no idea. 7x09 now but I could go 7x10 easily. Later on.

What turbo would you recommend to have growing room over 7x09 I injectors 

18 hours ago, Evan said:

Rolling through Craig's list see a s03 for 250. It's an older add he says he still has it. I'm like ****.

I ask if I can take the programmer for a spin. Get it loaded on 9 and he rides with me.  Get out on street and stand on it , I'm like **** I wasnt expecting that. Hes like what turbo is that it whistles he thought it was something cooler then a stock hy35.

Pretty much roll around the block. Pay him and we go on our merry way.

7x09 injectors + s03 = fun

I run the Smarty S03 also.  Things got really crazy when I added a TST PM3 Comp into the mix.  I run the Smarty only on level 1 for just cruising around...and then when it's time to rip I just flip the TST on and the fun begins.  It instantly becomes an possessed beast. 

I haven't popped a head gasket yet and I do have headstuds. 

• Like 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Rather than spending ~$600 on head studs, you should sell the s03 and put $400 of the $600 that you would spend on the studs to a quadzilla.  3x the power and you can tune timing to not blow the head off.  

:iagree:

34 minutes ago, Evan said:

Turbo I have no idea. 7x09 now but I could go 7x10 easily. Later on.

62/68/12 would be a good turbo. Even my 60/60/12 is holding up to the abuse of the Quadzilla and 7 x 0.010 injectors.

2 minutes ago, Bullet said:

I haven't popped a head gasket yet and I do have headstuds. 

You will be soon you just jinx yourself. I did the same thing ran around with 45 PSI boost and finally about 6 months later the coolant jacket blew out in the back of the head. It just best to do the ARP studs and no worry about the head gasket. Stock bolt will stretch even in stock fuel. ARP studs are a different tinsel strength to prevent the stretching.

• Like 1

Woah. Tm at 2 undrivable. Light throttle had to let off to make all shifts. Would not shift through the gears unless I let of. Setting to 3 now um maybe 4..

Loading tm 4 t3 d3 sw7 now

Catcher7

Tm4 timing3 d3

Shifts well quick, lots of smoke

Trying tm3 timing2 left duration at3.

Loading torch and hoses in truck nowdark rainy

Tm3 did reduce the light switch throttle alot. Didnt get on it much to tell what the butt dyno reads.

Going to put a few hundred miles on tomorrow on catcher 7 at tm3 tw duration 3 and see what I think.

Not sure what was up with tourge management 2. Wont ve trying that again.

Edited by Evan

Sw7 tm3 t3 d3

Cruise control on ,psi 8-10 slight surging but livable. Lots of giddy up passing Egt tunning 750-800. Fair amount of haze/smoke accelerating to 85 passing 

So far liking this. 

Hitting stop and go traffic soon to see off idle smoke

Went through 4 green lights. That almost never happens. From what I saw it roll black easily but cruising smoke is reduced. Dow shifted to second to keep from plugging around 25mph. Rpm 1800 will smoke but cleans out very fast 

Edited by Evan