• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty s03 today :)

I also run a S-03, I ended up on SW5, with Torque Management at 1, Duration at 1 and Timing at 3 because I run bigger injectors; according to the Smarty website, that's the timing setting for bigger injectors. 

The throttle response feels natural, but I'm thinking of getting a proper datalogger of my own to see what it's doing, since it usually will command like 18* of timing with really heavy fuelling as stated above, and that's not really wanted. 

I've been doing high power diesel mercs for quite a few years and the Bosch M-series pump in those are reminiscent of the P-series found in the 12v, and in those engines we'll usually set the timing around 12-14* which seems to work just fine for 500+whp, but that's static, so if you floor it on low RPM's it's a timing rattle out of this world.

Hence, I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that heavy fuelling at 18* would be any better:lmao:

• Like 1

I might try s03 with settings maxed pr st the upper end

I am on sw7 tm 4 t2 duration 3 now.

Tm 3 seemed kinda sluggish,  well see if 4 livings it up just a touch. Keeping timing st 2 for now and upper end feels good with duration at 3

Tm at 4 compared to tm3 produced less smoke right off an idle going stop light to stop light. Quicker through the gears using moderate to light throttle. Sometimes almost no smoke.

Didnt get on it much just drive normal.

With tm4 timing2 d3 on sw7.

Still be a head gasket killer(towing)? So far I like these settings on sw7.

I'll try these same settings on sw5 next.

Thanks for all the replies and and advice 

Was a good day. Messing with tunes and fabbing parts 

20190416_122332.jpg

Edited by Evan

• Owner

The way I look at Smarty S-03. No matter how much you can adjust the Smarty S-03 you still have to play by the rules of the ECM. It is like having an Edge Comp or Edge Juice (no wiretap) that is stuck on Level 1 but sublevels you can adjust. Remember CANBus fueling is from 0 to 4095. That is it. There is no magic bullet than the Smarty S-03 can do to expand past that fuel limit. Timing wise yeah you can adjust it but no one really knows what the map looks like. Is it optimal for larger injectors, not really? The only thing a Smarty S-03 does is get to the 4095 faster than stock. Torque Management allows for fuel early heading to 4095.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

You will have to look at the datalogs, but I think I found that on even levels with revo the timing was actually still using smarty timing.  

The smarty timing, in ANY level was not good for stock head bolts.  I found NO difference in the timing curve based on level or revo settings.  The only thing I found that Timing setting did was change the point at which timing went to 18* related to TPS input

@Me78569 I spent some time looking at your data logs...good stuff btw!  Would it be fair to say that peak timing is higher on catcher level 3 than on any other level for comparative tps levels and rpm...being even higher than catcher level 1?  I think I saw up to 21.xx degrees on level 3 and only 19.xx on level 1.

Hitting the freeway from boise ti mtn home

Switched to set same revo settings.  Oddly 5 is more aggressive down low.

Just switched back to. Gona cruise home. I like the settings I'm at so I'm trying the different od numbers.  

Sw 5 tm4 t3 d3 ti smokey throttle felt weird shifts off to. Sw7 feels better all around noticably less smoke.  

I do see a quad in the future. Hoping to find a all around setting for now in s03 that I'm happy with and comfortable towing. Might need two settings. One for towing and empty.

Edited by Evan

I saw no noticable or datalog difference on timing between ANY smarty setting, until tps increased to the point of locking timing at 18*

The only thing that changed was the point at which timing went to 18* related to tps input.

I believe the difference isn't in the timing maps rather the tps input to commanded torque map.

Revo low and see low resulted in more timing at r raised due to tps input allowable being higher before the timing lock happened.

You mention s03 a few times as the only tune you recomend to run. Does it differ from what's mentioned above.

Why is tm2 so weird I couldnt pull over fast enough to change it? My mind was thinking TV cable came unhooked somehow.  Though if cable was unhooked it would shift sooner. 

I doubt I'll see any high tempts. I'm use to seei g high temps I drive by the gauge anyways. What I dont want to do is blow the head gasket pulling a grade.

I have been keeping rs up more. My tranny I can kinda lug around like a manual lugging its probly a bad habit to get into anyways even without the s03 on.

I do want a quad I like to tinker so that would be right up my alley. 

I'll try s03 tomorrow like I think you advice and may do some testing on even numbers though I doubt t I'll see much there. Fuel only tunes.

Thanks again for the advice it's all confusing and interesting seeing how trying different things effects the driving characteristics 

19 hours ago, Me78569 said:

You will have to look at the datalogs, but I think I found that on even levels with revo the timing was actually still using smarty timing.  

The smarty timing, in ANY level was not good for stock head bolts.  I found NO difference in the timing curve based on level or revo settings.  The only thing I found that Timing setting did was change the point at which timing went to 18* related to TPS input

How was SW2? If you recall. I only had access to the datalogger for a short time so I can't check myself. 

However, how does it adjust timing? I can't say I've noticed any difference in sound between the different settings, both with or without timing added. 

Usually there's a noticeable difference in sound if it adds timing, where you get a horrible timing rattle with aggressive timing. 

Can't say I've noticed any extra rattle or it running any different. 

19 hours ago, Me78569 said:

**EDIT **

Removed double post, phone had a hiccup. 

Edited by LifeRunner

8 minutes ago, LifeRunner said:

How was SW2? If you recall. I only had access to the datalogger for a short time so I can't check myself. 

However, how does it adjust timing? I can't say I've noticed any difference in sound between the different settings, both with or without timing added. 

Usually there's a noticeable difference in sound if it adds timing, where you get a horrible timing rattle with aggressive timing. 

Can't say I've noticed any extra rattle or it running any different. 

**EDIT **

Removed double post, phone had a hiccup. 

That's a good question...I wonder that too.  Does the revo setting for timing have any affect on the even number SW's?

2 minutes ago, Bullet said:

That's a good question...I wonder that too.  Does the revo setting for timing have any affect on the even number SW's?

I read up on it real quick, it's controlled by an internal timing piston coupled to a cam ring inside the pump, where the piston is moved by fuel pressure, and the amount of pressure in the piston assembly is then again controlled by an internal pump & solenoid. 

I'd assume this is what the Smarty fiddles with, but as I'm saying, I can't hear any difference, I've seen @Me78569's logs, and they state that it definitely fiddles with the timing. 

To me, it looks like it does so, extremely harsh, and just about immediately commands about 18* of timing the very instant you touch the throttle, sure, you're going to need some extra time to burn all the fuel the smarty throws at it, but to me it sounds like it would be really rough and not so good. 

Me and my dad once reflashed a 3500 with the common rail 5.9 (If my memory serves me right) because it ran like crap, the owner had a Smarty S-06 which we then connected and tried out, it did NOT like ANY of the tunes with the added timing, it ran like crap with those tunes and rattled so bad you could mistake it for running on gravel rather than diesel. Ran good with any other tune, but it definitely didn't enjoy any added timing by the Smarty. 

Shame I don't have the datalogger handy, I'd like to find out how the different timing levels behave, since it now fuels more naturally relative to the throttle position, it would be nice to find a setting where it just doesn't instantly bump the timing to 18*, but start at maybe 12 or 14* and work it's way up from there.

• Owner
Just now, LifeRunner said:

I read up on it real quick, it's controlled by an internal timing piston coupled to a cam ring inside the pump, where the piston is moved by fuel pressure, and the amount of pressure in the piston assembly is then again controlled by an internal pump & solenoid. 

DSCF6162.JPG

DSCF6164.JPG

Just keep in mine that Smarty doesn't advance as far as the Quadzilla. Quadzilla can do a max of 32° of timing advancement from TDC. Then Quadzilla has timing controls to retard timing in the initial stab of the throttle to all for turbo spooling. 

• Low PSI Timing Reduct
  • Timing Reduct Scaling 

Then you have the Max Load Timing Offset so when you drop out of cruise timing it retards timing the set amount vs engine load this always for building boost just off of cruise timing when engine load increases. As a daily driver can use 1.0° or 1.5° of offset. Then as your cargo or trailer load increases, you can add more offset to protect the engine. 

Capture+_2019-04-17-16-12-03.png

While you all are playing with a little +60 HP tuner with unknown setting there is a 180 HP tuner that has full control of fuel and timing. :whistle:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

DSCF6162.JPG

DSCF6164.JPG

Just keep in mine that Smarty doesn't advance as far as the Quadzilla. Quadzilla can do a max of 32° of timing advancement from TDC. Then Quadzilla has timing controls to retard timing in the initial stab of the throttle to all for turbo spooling. 

• Low PSI Timing Reduct
  • Timing Reduct Scaling 

Then you have the Max Load Timing Offset so when you drop out of cruise timing it retards timing the set amount vs engine load this always for building boost just off of cruise timing when engine load increases. As a daily driver can use 1.0° or 1.5° of offset. Then as your cargo or trailer load increases, you can add more offset to protect the engine. 

Capture+_2019-04-17-16-12-03.png

While you all are playing with a little +60 HP tuner with unknown setting there is a 180 HP tuner that has full control of fuel and timing. :whistle:

Aha! You see I'm getting a Quad, there's no doubt about that, but it'll be later this year as I just blew $2600 on new wheels and tires:cry:

Until then, I'd love to know what the smarty is up to, especially with the timing now that I've got somewhat control of the fuelling. 

This, because I don't have upgraded studs as far as I know, and y'all have me worried that the OEM ones will suddenly stretch and cause me a real headache. :neutral:

13 minutes ago, LifeRunner said:

Aha! You see I'm getting a Quad, there's no doubt about that, but it'll be later this year as I just blew $2600 on new wheels and tires:cry:

Until then, I'd love to know what the smarty is up to, especially with the timing now that I've got somewhat control of the fuelling. 

This, because I don't have upgraded studs as far as I know, and y'all have me worried that the OEM ones will suddenly stretch and cause me a real headache. :neutral:

I just read your signature. :lmao::lmao2:Glad I wasn't drinking a beer cause it would be all over my lap from laughing. That's funny right there.

• Thanks 1

• Owner
20 minutes ago, LifeRunner said:

You could blow $1,700 on a Smarty Touch so you can have 60 HP tuner that is just as adjustable as a Quadzilla. Sad to say that same Smarty Touch on a CR engine now jumps from 60 HP to 210 HP. I'm sorry to say Smarty Performance King didn't put any effort into the Smarty S-03 tuner software which is the very same software on the Smarty Touch. 

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You could blow $1,700 on a Smarty Touch so you can have 60 HP tuner that is just as adjustable as a Quadzilla. Sad to say that same Smarty Touch on a CR engine now jumps from 60 HP to 210 HP. I'm sorry to say Smarty Performance King didn't put any effort into the Smarty S-03 tuner software which is the very same software on the Smarty Touch. 

But I'm going to shell out whatever a Quad costs. It's definitely the way to go. 

The only difference in timing I found was related to tps input vs the point where it locked to 18*.

I could find no setting that made timing any different other than that. 

Revo settings for timing on even levels used smarty maps.  

Ok. 

Started thinking I didnt like the smarty much at all.

Tried sw3. Tm 6 t4 d3 felt good on bottom pulled hard then went flat around 1800, wtf maybe timing turned down to 3 would help.

So I went back to sw5 tm4 felt good before so i used that but tried timing at 4. And duration 3.

This feels good of idle I could hear turbo spool up quick. It's dark and my psi gauge has no light in it.

It pulled hard off idle to 2000 feet crisp and no dead spot. Only thing I didnt like is 3rd locked early. 

ive been wanting to bump my trans pressure up, this will up pressure for reduced TPS and make shifts later.

I might tear the valve body off and go after the 2-3 shift port in the plate. I've been wanting to crisp and quicken 2-3 .

It never ends.

I'm going to leave it on sw5 tm4 t3 d3 for the time being I feel it's the best driving settings I've tried so far so I'll give it some drive time to decide.

As much as I like tunning I was getting irritated with the s03. Was excited that I could feel power but it seemed all wierd.  Hoping this last setting works seems everytime think I like it it feels weird the next day. Maybe it always will. Lol.

Anyone wanna trade two shitty programmers for a quad?