• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty s03 today :)

On 4/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, Evan said:

Say I change timing to 2 I know they then all set to 2. Does eachcurve still change compared to two setting in each sw# or are they now the same.

I'm mainly messing with sw5. But got to think that it may be the same as sw3 if its revo settings match sw5.

I'm at tm5 timing2 d5  

Wish I could go down to tm4.5

Sw6 is tm5 t1 d5  was timing set to factory causing it to fall on its face with the added fuel down low and up high.

Timing set at 2 I haven't noticed it going flat. It will smoke like coal train but cleans out quick and is smooth my boost gauge isnt dancing. 

I was thinking to leave timing at 2 then bounce through the sw#'s see if one strikes my fancy.

Might bump my trans pressure up  20lbs or so tonight and kick my shift points back. I do like fuel on the  bottom.

I might run around with pressure gauge on trans and watch shift points psi in different settings. 

Does this ever end

You need to run odd SW#, try SW5, TM3 Timing 4 and Duration on 4. These are my current settings and my truck spools like a chainsaw and the turbo lights really low. I can hit 35lbs of boost very easily and she hauls like a freight train.

Although popping my injectors at 322BAR did make a big difference as well.

The Lower the timing ie say 2 or 3 he more you must get into the throttle before the smarty locks the timing. Of course the higher the SW# the faster it reaches 100% throttle.. Thus SW9 with the Timing on 4 I suspect you will have the exact same issue I have with mine.

I can run even wi th h timing plugged in adjust menu that way I can quickly set from tm3-tm 5 just by selecting catcher number.

With 7x9 injectors I thought adding more timing turned the s03 into head gasket killer.

I think turbo is spoiling quicker with less timing.

Catcher 8 is tm6 with timing on 2 d5 it is breaking g tires loose painfully easy pulling away on a green traffic light.

Tm3 isn't enough on the bottom for me. 4 pulls noticably harder. Gets trailer moving with less throttle 

Am I safe to run timing at 3 I was keeping at 2 because my minds talked me into thinking 2 is safe.

I have no weird shifting after adjusting tranny. Even on tm6

Again there was no difference in actual timing value when timing revo values are changed.  the only thing that changed was the point at which timing went to 18* related to TPS input.  timing3 would lock timing at 18* at %50 throttle input whereas timing 2 wouldn't lock until %70 throttle input.  

The rest of the timing curve was exactly the same.    So timing being safe on timing 1 vs timing 4 doesn't matter they both had the same curve.  

The issue with the smarty is it will max duration at low rpm and low throttle input while keeping timing up near 18*.  that is what kills head gaskets.    

changing timing settings does not give you more or less timing,.  

Edited by Me78569

5 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Again there was no difference in actual timing value when timing revo values are changed.  the only thing that changed was the point at which timing went to 18* related to TPS input.  timing3 would lock timing at 18* at %50 throttle input whereas timing 2 wouldn't lock until %70 throttle input.  

The rest of the timing curve was exactly the same.    So timing being safe on timing 1 vs timing 4 doesn't matter they both had the same curve.  

The issue with the smarty is it will max duration at low rpm and low throttle input while keeping timing up near 18*.  that is what kills head gaskets.    

changing timing settings does not give you more or less timing,.  

The revo settings change the duration though, if I read into it correctly. 

This is why I'm getting a Quad in the near future

On 4/30/2019 at 2:16 AM, Evan said:

I can run even wi th h timing plugged in adjust menu that way I can quickly set from tm3-tm 5 just by selecting catcher number.

With 7x9 injectors I thought adding more timing turned the s03 into head gasket killer.

I think turbo is spoiling quicker with less timing.

Catcher 8 is tm6 with timing on 2 d5 it is breaking g tires loose painfully easy pulling away on a green traffic light.

Tm3 isn't enough on the bottom for me. 4 pulls noticably harder. Gets trailer moving with less throttle 

Am I safe to run timing at 3 I was keeping at 2 because my minds talked me into thinking 2 is safe.

I have no weird shifting after adjusting tranny. Even on tm6

I explained how the timing is tuned in my article. Any even number has the stock timing.  I have found that the SW5 with timing on 4, TM 4 and Duration on 3/4 works the best for my truck.

Even so, timing on 4 with SW7 or SW9 is too much for my truck, it locks it so low that spool is very hard, thats why you need to turn it back.

Torque management is pre--boost fooling, the duration is passing smoke. Even with the larger injectors you need to use these to tune back smoke control.

The higher the SW the more you need to turn back the timing in order to keep your truck towing.

Every truck is different, but I think he principals are the same.

I've decided sw# does not matter.

I like tourge on 4 or 5 timing2 and duration5.

Tm5 no added timing spools quick and seems to make more overal boost gauge does not flutter. Tm5 timing 2 d5 seems to build less boost flutters mu boost gauge.

Timing 3 boost gauge starts fluttering timing 4 I stopped and dropped it to timing 2. 

No timming or 2 feels good

I like the fuel off idle of tm5. Have no clue about mpg

Tried tm4 t3 d5 today. Not near as smokey as tm5 tm2. Feels good off idle  still smokey but more manageable than tm5 timing 2.

May try timing on tm5

I thought I was done messing with this thing then all the sudden I'm back to picking lottery numbers.

5 hours ago, Evan said:

Tried tm4 t3 d5 today. Not near as smokey as tm5 tm2. Feels good off idle  still smokey but more manageable than tm5 timing 2.

May try timing on tm5

I thought I was done messing with this thing then all the sudden I'm back to picking lottery numbers.

I'm trying to help you dial your truck in. that guide I swear works.If your running a lower SW# ie 4/5 then you can run your timing higher which will effect smoke. But is your smoke on the low end ie pre spool up, or after your building boost?

What @Me78569 says is true, I can tell you that when the timing locks is effected by the SW#

Pre boost

Manageable but will roll coal without trying hard or taking off on grade. Trailer on smoke is unmanageable.

Lower tourqe management number plus timming will reduce smoke.

Or are you saying. Sw7 set at tm5 compared to sw5 set at tourge management 5.

Each has a different fuel curve with same tm#?

Sw6 is the best catcher # tm4 timing1 d5 .

I seem to always be back here

I'm on sw6 tm4 t3 d5 now

I tried sw5 tm3 t3 d5 just doesnt have the down low grunt I like. Maybe I'll try it again just to make sure I did try it.

11 hours ago, Evan said:

Pre boost

Manageable but will roll coal without trying hard or taking off on grade. Trailer on smoke is unmanageable.

Lower tourqe management number plus timming will reduce smoke.

Or are you saying. Sw7 set at tm5 compared to sw5 set at tourge management 5.

Each has a different fuel curve with same tm#?

pre boost fooling, and cruise control surge are controlled best by a lower TM, but raising the SW# also changes the aggressiveness of the throttle. The higher the SW# the more you need to back off on the TM# to control smoke control. I have found that a lower SW ie 5, with a higher TM like 5 or 6 works best. You get tons of torque off the line, and with a Timing on 4 it spools like a chainsaw.

SW 4/5 SW6/7 and SW8/9 have same fueling curve as a pair, its just that the even numbers use stock timing.  SW4/5 have the low catcher, the 6/7 is the mild catcher, and 8/9 is the high catcher. 

The thing is that the higher the Timing number ie 2-3-4 the faster it locks the timing at 100% fueling command. However the SW# also increases the rate at which you hit 100% fuelingg. So for me SW9 and Timing on 4 just never worked. Truck ran like ****.

9 hours ago, Evan said:

Sw6 is the best catcher # tm4 timing1 d5 .

I seem to always be back here

I'm on sw6 tm4 t3 d5 now

I tried sw5 tm3 t3 d5 just doesnt have the down low grunt I like. Maybe I'll try it again just to make sure I did try it.

The SW6 and SW5 have different fueling maps, you can run timing on 4 on SW5. You can dial back on the Duration a bit if you have passing smoke.

If your going to run SW5, you can try TM on 4 or 5, but you need to run the timing on 3 or 4 with SW5.

Now pop pressure also has an effect here. Since I raised my pop pressure my smarty runs so much better.

• Like 1

Ok I'm messing with it.

I tried sw5 tm5 timing4 d5.

Pulls hard off the bottom then all the sudden comes to life at about 1800rpm then pulls harder turbo sound pitch also changes right then. I backed off to timing 3 and it's not as drastic at 1800 rpm I know its pedal position locking timming. Right? I only notice it when I'm on it alittle more on freeway on ramp or on climb accelerating. Other than that I'm not sure I'm really ever using more then half throttle. I've kinda gotten over the coolness of smarty and just driving it now.

Timing on 2 I dont notice the point that it locks timing or at least I think that's what I'm feeling. 

I now have my revo setting tm5 and timming 3 d5. It does smoke if I accelerate on freeway but I rarely do. I cruise at 70 everyone usually passes me.

I'm currently on sw6 not sure why but I always end up there.

Meant to leave revo settings as they are and jump to sw9 and see if I can tell any difference but I never did. I will tomorrow or sometime soon.

Last tank I got 18.3mpg it's looking like with some timming I may get over that with this tank usually if I get half way to 600 miles at only a 1/4 tank burned on fuel gauge I may make 600 plus on the tank

Very curious to see what I notice on sw9 with tm5 I've only drove sw9 with default settings once. I turned it back to sw5 right away. Tm6 is pretty wicked down low barely on the throttle at all driving around.

I'd like to make all the power from idle to 2200rpm max that will probly take a quad to tune that precise.

Ohhh you are right timing at 3 does get rid of quite abit of smoke down low and turbo does light sooner I think. I can leave stop lights with just a haze instead of a cloud of black.

I did have a cop behind me the other day stopped on hill waiting for a green light. I'm like **** I'm gona smoke pretty good and i did but didnt get pulled over. Was on sw6 tm5 no timming added.

I can see how I would like tuning the quad. I could make changes sitting at a red light. Though smarty is cool to, the most tunable thing I've ever had

Thanks for the help and tips

Edited by Evan

• Owner

@pepsi71ocean like I've found out with 320 bar injectors you are coming up short on the timing. When the injectors are popped that high your cruise timing have to jump way up. I'm running now 23° to 25° worth of cruise timing and now just passing 21 MPG. Just no way a Smarty S-03 can get you the timing you need to gain full efficiency.

Capture+_2019-04-30-08-42-45.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

if you dont want power over 2200 rpm don't use the gass pedal above 2200.  

you could also dump timing above 2500 and that would pull power.   

if you want more power you add more fuel in the tune.  If you want less then you add less. 

It is not like the smarty where you are "guessing" what a change does.

• Like 1

• Owner

Doing a bit of writing of the fuel map. Then created a performance tune based on my timing map of the economy tune. I figured I'd try it out. Needless to say, when the black smoke cleared up, the tires started to smoke, dump the throttle a bit fast and got a good turbo bark. 

6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

It is not like the smarty where you are "guessing" what a change does.

That the bonus of Quadzilla you can see all the setting and have full control of 180 HP all the way up the power band. If you want to limit fuel you can even just cut fuel at a particular PSI of boost and it fades out. You can just start the fuel table for 100% and all you get is the stock fuel map from the ECM. Total control when Smarty S-03 is a guessing game. 

I'll admit back in the day Smarty S-03 was a good tuner for a stock truck that the owner didn't want to tap the wire nor get too wild.