• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty s03 today :)

Two reasons I open mine all the way #1 the pressure is dangerous as you say, #2 I dont want the mess with the diesel spraying. My engine bay is dirty enough. I open mine all the way when repriming. Once I ses a good flow I close it up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dripley said:

Two reasons I open mine all the way #1 the pressure is dangerous as you say, #2 I dont want the mess with the diesel spraying. My engine bay is dirty enough. I open mine all the way when repriming. Once I ses a good flow I close it up.

yep..... dribble out of a large hole..... damn dangerous out of a small hole, I've seen posts on here saying home made injection pressure testers.... all fine and good just don't get anywhere near the nozzle and what most don't see is the mist is no different to a 13 yr old breathing on a can of butane... been there done that  :)  testers not butane

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evan said:

Went to d1 tug became sluggish. 

Went back to d2 set tourge at 5 timming 3.

So far I idled across meridian rd.

That's also a good setting. I can put it into drive and get it up to 15mph at idle in Drive. The torque that this motor puts out with the smarty is insane.

Timing 3 will help with spool depending on how far into the pedal you push, because with sw5 100% fueling is at 100% pedal movement. But with the timing on 3 it's locking the timing at 60% fuel flow which is about 60% throttle. 

18 hours ago, wil440 said:

280 to 322 bar is a 622.8 psi increase in injection pressure this will atomize the fuel better therefore the rate of burn will be faster and more complete hence why bad injectors dribbling cause a lot of smoke the flame cannot move fast enough across the cylinder to complete the burn before exhaust valve opens. 

Yes and with larger injectors the lower pop pressure is a major issue. 

Adding more fuel to a lower pop pressure injector advances timing to much and crates more smoke and lack of spool as you can't advance the smarty timing ahead of the lower pop pressure. Unlike a quad where your can. Even Mike was advacing  his quad to 25° to even compensate for the lower pop pressure on his. I can't imagine how retarded the pop is on a smarty where the timing is fixed once it locks on the timing/sw# combination.

• Like 1

I like it might be alittle more smoke then tourge on 4. So far I'm kinda undecided if timming setting change much of anything. Was thinking about going to no added timing on this setting to see if I cant feel it in the seat.  Though I haven't pushed the pedal over half way down in awhile.

Also just alittle surge with cruise control on at 70mph. At 65 no surge at all and only seeing a rock solid 5psi.

This tank is looking promising to make 20mpg. I haven't towed on it and dont think I will. Just shy of 400 miles on it at 3/4 tank. Usually if I make 400 by a half tank 600 is easy.

Not quite 15 at idle 

20190708_213359.jpg

Edited by Evan

8 hours ago, Evan said:

I like it might be alittle more smoke then tourge on 4. So far I'm kinda undecided if timming setting change much of anything. Was thinking about going to no added timing on this setting to see if I cant feel it in the seat.  Though I haven't pushed the pedal over half way down in awhile.

Also just alittle surge with cruise control on at 70mph. At 65 no surge at all and only seeing a rock solid 5psi.

This tank is looking promising to make 20mpg. I haven't towed on it and dont think I will. Just shy of 400 miles on it at 3/4 tank. Usually if I make 400 by a half tank 600 is easy.

Not quite 15 at idle 

20190708_213359.jpg

That sounds good, your right at the sweet spot when surge is detected but light.  

Years ago when I built or tuned other Dodges around here, the smarty was my choice for power, they weren't pulling trucks but a built auto with 75hp injectors, head studs and a boost elbow made the smarty a real hitter in getting loads like boats moving. 

As for the timing settings your won't notice much if anything until you start getting into the pedal more, the timing doesn't change anything until you hit the threshold. Once you hit the threshold, then you will see it lock the timing. From that point on the timing stays locked until you return under the threshold.

On sw5 you have the most movement of pedal and timing. Now if you switch to sw9 with the timing on 4, the threshold is around 25% of the physical throttle. Unlike sw5 where it is about 50%. But your also not commanding 100% fueling so low either. 

If you run a higher sw you need to back the timing off in order to get spool on the turbo and the engine rpm up high enough. 

This is why @Me78569 found that the smarty always locked timing at 18.02° but what is noted is when it locks and at what throttle percentage. Which is also different based on the Revo and the SW settings. 

• Like 1

I wish the trip meter showed in the pic. On my way home it said 300 yesterday it was over 300 or I'm imagining things

I probably never lock timming then I dont drive with much pedal. it is amazing how much power it has off idle with only light throttle applied. It does seem to move a heavy load with ease and toes my horse trailer like it's almost not there. Feels like mike said the hole truck kinda arches it's back and lifts under power. Though I I think his trucks got 100 horse or so on mine. 

I should try sw 7 with these same settings and see if I notice any change. Maybe give this a few more days to get used to. If the fuel curve changes I should notice.

Edited by Evan

On 7/9/2019 at 11:28 PM, Evan said:

I wish the trip meter showed in the pic. On my way home it said 300 yesterday it was over 300 or I'm imagining things

I probably never lock timming then I dont drive with much pedal. it is amazing how much power it has off idle with only light throttle applied. It does seem to move a heavy load with ease and toes my horse trailer like it's almost not there. Feels like mike said the hole truck kinda arches it's back and lifts under power. Though I I think his trucks got 100 horse or so on mine. 

I should try sw 7 with these same settings and see if I notice any change. Maybe give this a few more days to get used to. If the fuel curve changes I should notice.

The higher the SW, the sooner you'll get to the lock up and fueling. I like having good pedal movement for me to help with surge and to help with shifting (tv cable adjustment).

You are correct, I don't think your seeing any of the changes because your not reaching the parameters to force it to lock.  As such I wonder about the smoking issues you have work the pedal not being fully used. 

Trying 6 2 2 on sw5 now.

Meant to get a filter but didnt. smoke seems the same as 5 3 2. Shifting alittle sooner wich is good my TV is on tight side.

I think you may be right I cant hardly believe I said that. :)

Doesnt have the touchy throttle feel like sw#s 7-9. Wich would mean fuel curve does change on sw#s.

I liked 7 but it surged bad. Well see if sw5 surges bad on tm 6

• Owner
12 hours ago, Evan said:

I liked 7 but it surged bad.

Too much timing?

I would retry and knock the timing down a level ans see what happens. Excessive advancement will make it buck and surge.

I've found a new trick on the Quadzilla that I'll pass along. If you excessive high in timing the oil temp will rise above coolant temp. If your to deeply retarded you can pull the oil temp below the coolant and in my test I was able to get -22°F below coolant but it was too fair retarded. This just shows where in the cycle the fire is burning. Too retarded it making boost and burn more on the downward stroke. Too advanced and it burning more in the cylinder. More or less finding you wanna float about -10°F vs coolant temp. 

I dunno. I thought tm setting to high was causing surging. But tm at 6 on sw5 is livable.

Tm on 6 on sw7 is like driving down the free way constantly stomping on the throttle and instantly letting 

Must have to do with combination of fuel curve coming on sooner on sw7 along with the tourge management.

Doubt I see any advanced timing until I pull a grade towing. That's why I've backed it off to tm 6 is the smarty pretty much running full tilt for what ever that's worth 50hp of full tilt.

I kinda wish this turbo would die already then I can upgrade and quickly blow the bead gas. Lol

39 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Too much timing?

I would retry and knock the timing down a level ans see what happens. Excessive advancement will make it buck and surge.

It's not the timing but the pre turbo spool. Which is the TM#

19 minutes ago, Evan said:

I dunno. I thought tm setting to high was causing surging. But tm at 6 on sw5 is livable.

Tm on 6 on sw7 is like driving down the free way constantly stomping on the throttle and instantly letting 

Must have to do with combination of fuel curve coming on sooner on sw7 along with the tourge management.

Doubt I see any advanced timing until I pull a grade towing. That's why I've backed it off to tm 6 is the smarty pretty much running full tilt for what ever that's worth 50hp of full tilt.

I kinda wish this turbo would die already then I can upgrade and quickly blow the bead gas. Lol

If you run SW7 turn the TM down only and see, I think your surging will go away around 4. 

13 hours ago, Evan said:

Trying 6 2 2 on sw5 now.

Meant to get a filter but didnt. smoke seems the same as 5 3 2. Shifting alittle sooner wich is good my TV is on tight side.

I think you may be right I cant hardly believe I said that. :)

Doesnt have the touchy throttle feel like sw#s 7-9. Wich would mean fuel curve does change on sw#s.

I liked 7 but it surged bad. Well see if sw5 surges bad on tm 6

I'm still in shock that I read that haha

Sw5 is doing good no surging at just under 70mph and holding 5psi or slightly less.

Had string of cummins trucks trailing me when I took this today. Trailed me for about 40miles. All about the mpg baby :)

that's what I tell crystal when she asks why I never go the speed limit.

today I think truck is smoking alot more in the heat. Out side temp was 107 tranny temp verified that on start up. I couldnt keep it from smoking like a freight train and stayed smoking after the turbo lit at 1500.

I might try stock tune and see if smoke becomes less. But I really like throttle feel of idle pulls so damn hard

20190713_200906.jpg

Edited by Evan

On 7/13/2019 at 10:37 PM, Evan said:

Sw5 is doing good no surging at just under 70mph and holding 5psi or slightly less.

Had string of cummins trucks trailing me when I took this today. Trailed me for about 40miles. All about the mpg baby :)

that's what I tell crystal when she asks why I never go the speed limit.

today I think truck is smoking alot more in the heat. Out side temp was 107 tranny temp verified that on start up. I couldnt keep it from smoking like a freight train and stayed smoking after the turbo lit at 1500.

I might try stock tune and see if smoke becomes less. But I really like throttle feel of idle pulls so damn hard

20190713_200906.jpg

Have you checked what the coolant and IAT sensors are reading? Also what settings are you using currently?

I have not checked coolant temp or iat. I have been flushing my coolant system for a week or so off and on. Was running on upper side of 190 now running on lower side of 190.

Do I plug it into a scanner to read iat readings?

I thought I noticed it run differently after flushing but thought it was just me. Temp gauge barely changed

Trying to have a working heater by winter.

I'm on sw5 5 4 2 smokes less, aggressive hit of power at 1800-2000 I got on it ounce. Assuming timming locked.

Edited by Evan

Running sw5  5 4 2 still

Just got on the freeway mashed it in 4th at over 1500 truck pulling hard sucking me in the seat turbo screaming probly very little  smoke psssssssddddd I hear over the turbo like a aerosol can emptying instantly but not exploding. 

Chopped the throttle dove off the shoulder thinking head gasket no coolant though hoses still intact all fluids good. 

Cruised 40 miles after like nothing happened at 70mp making 5ish psi like normal. Haven't gone over half throttle since. It's got me rattled 

Umm I feel like a gomer

hmm I found what it was can you? How I drove 40miles with it staring at me is beyond me.

20190720_185309.jpg

Edited by Evan