• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 oil

So I've been having difficulty finding the proper oil and I think I have the correct stuff but I want some input before I drain the old oil. So it started at NAPA I asked for the transmission oil for my NV4500 in my 1999 ram 2500. The oil I was given was part number 04874464ab. I immediately found this fishy as on the front of the bottle is says for the NV3500 and NSG-370. I got NAPA to call back the dealer that they got it from and they insisted that this is the correct oil. I did some research online and could find nothing to this being a replacement for the syntorque oil that is discontinued. After this I caĺled Castrol directly and told this what I had and what oil I needed. The answer I received from Castrol was that any 75w85 gl-4 oil will meet the specifications for my application although they weren't able to give me part numbers and suggested I call a dealer. So the next step I took was call mopar directly to get an answer of what this NSG-370/NV3500 oil's specifications are, they were not able to answer my question. Then I called a Chrysler dealer and gave the part number of the oil I given, after about 10 minutes I was told that 04874464ab will not be what I need and the correct part number is 04874459. This new number is a 75w85 gl-4 oil so it seems to have the correct specifications to that of the syntorque. Sorry for the long story but it was a circus over here trying to get to the bottom of this. At the end of the day I want some reassurance that part number 04874459 is what I need. Thanks you.

• Owner

NV4500 you are not bound to hold to that fluid any longer. Just like Dodge dealers are now filling both NV4500 or NV5600 with ATF+4. This proves that there is nothing special in either transmission. The viscosity can impact the shift quality. Like I'm running 50 weight which is more like 90 Gear lube but no issues all the way down to -40*F winter temps shifts fine. The syncros require GL-4 that it. Everything else doesn't matter. I went for the heavier weight fluid for summertime towing and heavy hauling I do for firewood and trailer towing. The light stuff thins out way too fast in summer working heat. 

Now with the change up the tires and final ratio my trans temps have been lower. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stopped off at Blumenthal in Oklahoma City for some lube for the nv4500. They tell me they worked with Chrysler or new venture to make the correct 75w85 gl4 oil. I ran this years ago in my first 98 and it worked good. I’m gonna get it swapped out after work tomorrow. $15.99 per qt 

B959514E-3136-4369-8D05-4459B85F8F2F.jpeg

Edited by 98whitelightnin
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 5:12 PM, 98whitelightnin said:

Stopped off at Blumenthal in Oklahoma City for some lube for the nv4500. They tell me they worked with Chrysler or new venture to make the correct 75w85 gl4 oil. I ran this years ago in my first 98 and it worked good. I’m gonna get it swapped out after work tomorrow. $15.99 per qt 

B959514E-3136-4369-8D05-4459B85F8F2F.jpeg

I called Blumenthal today to see if they sell that oil mail order, guy said no we don't ship the oil local pickup only.

Called a few local parts stores, looking for Redline MT-85, like quad4x4 sells. Found some at a local O'Reillys. 

Funny, they used to ship it. I ordered some while I lived in flordia back in 2013 or so. Good to know about the RedLine being local, I couldnt find any local when I was looking. I had planned on running RedLIne but had to make a trip to Ok city so thought id stop and get some.

I have no idea why they don't now? I did not see a "add to cart" option on their website, so I called, guy said no we don't ship that oil. It was about a 20 second phone call. 

Napa, Autozone, Carquest, does not handle Redline products from what I was told today.  O'Reillys does. So they saved the day.