• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

I am looking for recommendation on 16” trailer tires for a HD 3axle 26x8 ft Gooseneck Trailer.

Found some Trailer Kings on EBay 235/80R-16 10Ply for $320 but open to any suggestions please. Thanks Leaky

Math out your capacity and then the capacity of the tires. If you are too tight to the capacity of the tires go up another load range to F's. Like on my RV they installed Load Range D's and barely could hold the weight the tire where at capacity 90% loaded. So I went up to load range E's and now got lots of margin of room and don't have to run the tires at max pressure to cover the weight. This is a good thing. 

Thanks. A tire man told me almost all trailer tires are imported except Goodyear and another brand Maxxis.  What Brand are you running?

Whatever is cheap. Mostly China Bombs what I buy... Just never seen one fail yet. My trick is I never buy a tire that is marginal and never inflate to max pressure so simple.

I had forgot to say the Tire man referred to them as “China Bombs” also. Oh well, It’s like buying an Engine Hoist at China Freight, calculate what you need and double it. 😥

Posted (edited)

I have used my share of China Bombs in ST trailer tires. What I have found is that the cheaper they are the shorter the life span, some to the point they will blow out on the spare rack or even on the trailer axle. If you can buy 6 tires for $320, I would pass. Here are some pictures of my oem Gladiators that my last 2 Load Trail, trailers had, both sets are less than 3 years old. First one is separating and the second blew out sitting. I have replaced both sets with Hercules 14 ply all steel H-901. One set is ST @4400 lbs rated and  one set is LT @ 3750 rated. The ST's are $200 each and the LT's are $215. I also moved up from 235/80Rx16 to 235/85R16.

0605180551.jpg

0204191108.jpg

0411191331a.jpg

0411191331.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs
add picture
  • Like 1

Never blown a tire yet either on the truck or a trailer. Trailer tires typically last up to the 5 year limit with me. My BigTex has got the longest with China Bombs on Load Range C's and lots of treat but past the 5 year time period. Now it gets dangerous. 

8 hours ago, Leaky88 said:

Actually it was $320 for 4 tires vice 6.  Still a Pass?

Okay, that helps. You said a 3 axle so I assumed you needed 6. What do you have on it now and how have they held up? Do you haul often or heavy? Before ST arrived, I always used LT take offs from my dually, then install new on the truck. Since I bought the '01 Dodge I didn't have the right size so I started buying ST's. I have used a bunch over the years and have really not had any luck with 10 ply. I haul heavy and often. Keep in mind mounting cost. I did buy a set of 12 ply Carlisle tires and they were doing good when I sold my Big Tex dump. I had a lot of heavy loads on it. I bought them from Simple Tire and mounted them myself. It took me a long time of failures before I would cough up $200 per tire, gasp:) I am a slow learner sometimes, Lol.

20 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Okay, that helps. You said a 3 axle so I assumed you needed 6. What do you have on it now and how have they held up? Do you haul often or heavy? Before ST arrived, I always used LT take offs from my dually, then install new on the truck. Since I bought the '01 Dodge I didn't have the right size so I started buying ST's. I have used a bunch over the years and have really not had any luck with 10 ply. I haul heavy and often. Keep in mind mounting cost. I did buy a set of 12 ply Carlisle tires and they were doing good when I sold my Big Tex dump. I had a lot of heavy loads on it. I bought them from Simple Tire and mounted them myself. It took me a long time of failures before I would cough up $200 per tire, gasp:) I am a slow learner sometimes, Lol.

The trailer has set dormant for about 6 years on my property.  (I just never used it and every time I cut the grass I find something else I need to fix. Just one of the problems of living on 5 acres.) I got Trailer off a Welder who used it for his business.  It’s HD homemade 26’ x8’ Gooseneck.  I am moving and need a trailer to haul all the crap I have 1070 miles one-way.   It will be NLT 3 round trips when said and done.   Can’t afford a new trailer and buying a used one is a gamble and whose to say it’s any better. So I’m going through it.  It had 16.5 8x6.5 bolt pattern rims on it, but I have 6 - 16” /6.5 /8x6.5 rims, off a Dodge I’m replacing them with as well new bearings, lights etc to bring it into service.  (I got away from the 16.5 because my recollection of a 16.5 flat on the road and the cost of the 16.5 tire and install was very costly.). I just put 6 tires on the truck which we all know is not cheap but the tires on it were OLD.  Maybe they would have been better than the China Bomb trailer tires.   So I’m open to any suggestions.  Thanks Leaky

Make sure the Dodge wheels will fit before you buy tires for them. I think the 1st gen will work but 2nd gen and later wont. The offset will cause the tire to hit the spring/frame before they seat on the hub.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I suppose it probably won't fit.  

Nothing else is going right.

I am far from being versed on Trailers.  As best I can tell they are 7K and I base that thenon fact it has 8 lug wheels.   It’s Homemade,  

The axles are likely not homemade, and might have a tag on them.

Either way, if you’re planning to load it to axle capacity you need ST tires. 

But it’s a triple axle, so I’d be surprised if you need more than 6K/axle which means you could look into some used LT tires for trucks. Such as 245/75R16 or 235/85R16. 

Just a FYI ST tires are not rated for over 65 MPH. I found this out after having to replace at least one tire per trip from WI to CA. I pulled my small enclosed trailer for 14 years and never loaded heavier then 2000 pounds gross with 1500 pound rated tires. After questioning many tire shop techs one finally called the Goodyear factory rep ( I used what ever I could find on the road and 1/3 of them were Goodyears) and after some discussion he asked how fast I drive and I said right at the speed limit then he said thats the problem. Since I slowed down to 65 MPH the last set that was on it when I sold it had gone 5 years with on failures. As I recall Carlisle has a ST tire that is speed rated at 85 MPH and you can tell because it is molded right in the sidewall. I was a owner/operator and like to drive still to this day. I would leave central WI and be in CA in 2 1/2 days and after slowing to 65 MPH I could still make it in 3 days.

38 minutes ago, Nekkedbob said:

Just a FYI ST tires are not rated for over 65 MPH

While that used to be a blanket statement, it’s not anymore. 

More and more ST’s have speed ratings above 65 mph. I can’t even recall the last time I saw a new ST tire that was only 65 mph rated. 

Posted (edited)

Right off of Carlisle manufacture website.

How fast can I travel on Carlisle trailer tires?
In the past, most trailer tires were rated at 62 or 65 mph. Today, some of our tires are "rated" (speed symbols) at 87 mph (N), some at 75 mph (L), some at 65 mph (J: ST tires) and some at 62 mph (J: non-metric tires).
Please remember that speed ratings are test speeds and not recommended driving speeds. The ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not a particular vehicle. The speed rating does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.
We recommend driving no more than 60 mph when towing a trailer. Please always drive at a safe speed and abide by the posted speed limit.

https://www.gallaghertire.com/about/carlisle-st-faq

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

Maybe Ill just remove an axle so I can afford 4 of $200 tires.

I suppose these China Bombs are on these overloaded Car Haulers (Non CDL) I see on I70 in far left lane passing everything and making every pony earn its keep.  

I’m nearly convinced I should put money in quality tires.  It seems like any savings garnered from the China pops would only go against potential hospital bills. I’m looking at Nisaacs pics as I’m writing this.

My trailer came with Maxxis D rated tires and ran them for 9 years replacing them due to age and I know the tire industry say to replace them every 5 years. 

The replacements are Maxxis D rated  and they have been on for 7 years and will be replaced after this trip because of age and they are worn to 4/32" tread left.  I've put about 20k miles on them in the last 3 years.

I always drive 65 or less and have never had a  problem with this brand of tire.

• Like 1

IN 32 years of driving I've NEVER had an explosive tire failure... Don't get me wrong I've had flat tires where pick up a nail and slowly leak down. I'm very aware of what is going on around me and my vehicle and trailers. Most of my tires failures have sidewall rock cuts I've had most of them are unrepairable. Never have I shredded a tire with a violent explosive failure going down the pavement. I've ran everything from China Bomb on the truck to China Bombs on the trailer and still always worn them out.

• Like 1

I have had failures on semis before one of which was explosive.  New tire too not a cap.  Didn't sound like a stick of dynamite, sounded like a whole darn box.  So loud I nearly jumped hard enough to hit ceiling since it was a front drive tire.  And yes I bumped/checked tires every stop I made so came as a real surprise.  It was loud enough the car ahead of me stopped and was checking his tires.  I was approaching the Corvallis exit on I-5 and I was plenty far back from that rig.  It was not very funny but I was able to limp it off the freeway since I still had another good drive tire.  A few years ago I had an uncapped drive tire peel the tread off somewhere on 1-84.  Tire didn't blow but made plenty of racket so immediately knew something went sideways.  Waited a long time to get back on the road since that was kind of nowhereville.  Can't recall brand now but should have been pretty good tires.  Fairly sure the peeled one was a Goodyear since they always bought new tires even for the trailers and almost always Goodyear.