• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Recommendation on Trailer Tires

11 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like my RV came with load range D's which was barely enough capacity to hold the GVWR of the trailer at max pressure. I upgrade to load range E's and the drop the tire pressure back down to 60 PSI of a max of 80 PSI. Now you have flex room and no have to worry about blow out. To this day I still not had a tire blow ever either on a vehicle or trailer!

If we could fit bigger tires on his trailer I would, it's pretty close to fender the way it is. Trying to decide between load star and carsile both HD and load D. The only ones I found made in USA are good year endurance, but they are 205/75/14 and he has 185/80/13  24.65 vs 26.11 diameter. It may be possible :think:

Got some 185/80/13 carsile in load D coming from amazon, we'll see. Rated at 1710 max, seen some on new boat trailers, same tires in gange C, which can be 1360 to 1570 load. I didn't pay attention last year and got a set of 1360 for my boat for almost $70 on discount tire, though it was a good deal lol, same tires on amazon in load D not C that I have is $49 Point is need to shop around before committing, or never look back :lmao:

6 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Be sure to check the date code on the tires.  A friend got a set that were a year old.

Funny you mention that, I was already thinking what to tell Amazon in case that happens and how to convince them to send me fresh ones. Is there any laws or guidelines that tire salesman has to follow especially on trailer tires. 

• Owner
On 2/12/2020 at 6:40 PM, Dieselfuture said:

If we could fit bigger tires on his trailer I would, it's pretty close to fender the way it is. Trying to decide between load star and carsile both HD and load D. The only ones I found made in USA are good year endurance, but they are 205/75/14 and he has 185/80/13  24.65 vs 26.11 diameter. It may be possible :think:

I never changed size... Only load range type. went from a D to E. This upped the capacity of the tires more allowing me NOT to inflate to MAX Pressure. 

• Owner

You can use normal truck tires too just as long as the load range or capacity is better than the GVWR of the trailer. Heck if I'm capable of getting Load G's (3,750# @ 110 PSI) in 235/85 R16 years ago I'm sure its out there just that you'll need to find a tire shop with a guys that know how to custom order tires. 

20 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Be sure to check the date code on the tires.  A friend got a set that were a year old.

Well it's 1119, almost a year old. Guess that's why they had best deal, they may get old stock :shrug: my step dad doesn't care, he was going to use original tires, said 2000 is not that old :thud: I convinced him to change them, when I got it dismounted, I stepped on it and you can see giant crack pretty deep. He's happy that we got new ones :lmao:

I wouldn’t worry about a year old date code, most generally 7-8 years is considered out of date, trick is keep them covered and out of direct sun when not in use. If you get half that many years before the tread wears out, your golden, happy fishing  :thumbup2:

My carsile tires are st185/80/13 load c rated at 1480, I’ve never even looked at the date code, for me it usually takes a magnifying glass and a spot light for the markings are so small.

Edited by 01cummins4ever
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The axles in the original post appear to be typical 6K axles (6 leaf 3K spring packs and light duty shackle hangers).  Most axles over 6K (on HD utility - non RV) will usually have slipper type hangers.  To know the actual weight rating of the axles with no tags you need to know the Outside Diameter and wall thickness, then you can check an axle web site for rating.

The current Gladiator QR tires are speed rated (ie: N rated, 87 mph).  I would never tow at that speed, especially with a load, but they are not maxed at 65 mph.

Edited by Joe_Pool
signature

• Staff
17 hours ago, Joe_Pool said:

I know this is an older thread, but ST tires are designed to be run at maximum pressure at all times.  If they are run under max inflation they tend to overheat and have problems (tread separation, belt slippage -- due to heat). 

This is simply not true. Many people choose to do so, and many shops choose to tell people so because it's easier than discussing pressure for the load. That doesn't make it right, just common practice. 

ST tires are no different than other tires in terms of running the proper pressure for the load. 

There are ST tire load/inflation tables around for a reason, it's not for nonsensical fun. 

• Like 2