• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Russ just confirmed why you never see me hanging along side of a SEMI.  NOPE!   I only go around when there is a clear shot of getting around and with plenty of room SAFELY get far ahead from it and back in. Sometime in summer of 84 I was riding with an acquaintance on I77.  He was following a train of cars in the passing lane leaving us along side a Flatbed which had a blowout on the trailer, my side of course. A piece of tread left a big dent in my door and to say the noise is unnerving is an BIG understatement.  If I have anything to say or do about it, that was my first and last experience.  There’s a reason some trucks have signs where not to hang out.   Sage advice worth heeding in MHO.

I have never had a blow out but I have had up to 50% tread separation ( bulge on the tread ) when I noticed it. I did see one blow in front of me in the lane to the right and it stuck the split rim ring in the car door next to him along with blowing out the window. The tread glanced of the semi end dump box and sent it higher then the telephone poles into the other side of the freeway. I was past it by then so I don't know if it hit anyone.

Leaky, sage advice for sure.  I try to never stay close to a big rig although overall they are usually pretty safe.  BUT, one just never knows.  Another thing in particular I avoid is any tanker and anything with placards.

• Like 1

For what it’s worth, No matter what people say, their is no bombs inside of tires, I’ve been transporting heavy construction equipment most of my career along with pulling tankers transporting everything from mag chloride to road oils and propane. One thing I have learned is most tire failures are human caused and I would say that about 90% of them. Under inflation is the most cause and mismatched tires either on the same axle or adjoining axle, is the next cause. mis aligned axes is another big one. It’s the heat generated by low tire pressure and uneven mismatched tires will generate excessive heat. Then the tire manufacturing compounds break down and the cords become separated and the next thing you know. Kaboom..

Specialized trailer tires are the worst being they can sit for long durations not being used and deflating themselves and getting weather checked, then put in service down a long hot highway by a driver that just kicked the tires and ready to go, I’m sure some of us are guilty of that.

All tires are stamped with a date code and not advisable to go 6-7 years into the life of a tire that does not see much use. especially one sitting out in the elements.

I know I’m just as guilty as anyone when It comes to abusing tires, that’s the first thing I do when I fire up the rig in the morning or night is beat on the tires with a stick and expect them to carry a 100,000 lb. plus rig all day. Im not knocking any tire manufacture, China or not., just give the tires a little TLC and change them out when any deforming begins and they will treat you right and not worry about innocent passer buyers getting shrapnel blown at them.  just my :2cents: 

• Like 2

Hi,

Question was asked what size axles I have.  I don't know for certain but would like to.

I bought this 1745364774_040809dwnloaddwyer094.JPG.bb95ebbd050e415ee54be8c91c9df2d1.JPGtrailer Homemade from a Welder who built it.

Axles have no tags. The wheels are 8x6.5, the axle shafts measure 3" in diameter, and there are 6 leaf springs.

With 8 bolt wheels and a 3" shaft it should be what?  Maybe 7.5K? I have no idea what the curb weight is.  Title states weight is

3K. and its  26' x 8'.  I will tell you there was no shortage of metal when it was made.

Wanted to give an update on the rims.  My 6 94 Dodge 3/4 Ton rims do fit so I can change out to 16" tires vice 16.5.  At least something is going right.

And yes, I know it needs a paint job.

Thanks.

Leaky

IMG_0488.jpeg

040809dwnloaddwyer 096.JPG

040809dwnloaddwyer 091.JPG

Most 8 bolt wheel axles are 6-7k with a 6 bolt on the 5200 lbs axle. All are 3" tubes, some may have a thicker tube wall. Do the other two axles have brakes? That's good the Dodge wheels will fit, my '01 is wrong for a trailer.

So, they are probably 7K maybe? Yes the other 2 axles have brakes, but for some reason the builder put brakes on the front and middle axle. I will verify it was those 2.  Any reason it would not be last 2? Or first and last?

I was really happy the rims fit so I can go to 16” tires.  16.5 are like looking for Hen’s teeth. 

Thanks Leaky

About ST trailer tires... Simple just want to make sure the tire never ran close or over its rate weight capacity or inflated at max pressure. If you have more tire capacity for weight and keep your pressure away from max you should be just fine.  

• Like 1

Update on my H/M trailer axles with no tags. While ordering new bearing kits today, the old bearing/races show up as being for 5.2-7K axles.  Onward!