• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Recommendation on Trailer Tires

• Owner

Right off of Carlisle manufacture website.

How fast can I travel on Carlisle trailer tires?
In the past, most trailer tires were rated at 62 or 65 mph. Today, some of our tires are "rated" (speed symbols) at 87 mph (N), some at 75 mph (L), some at 65 mph (J: ST tires) and some at 62 mph (J: non-metric tires).
Please remember that speed ratings are test speeds and not recommended driving speeds. The ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not a particular vehicle. The speed rating does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.
We recommend driving no more than 60 mph when towing a trailer. Please always drive at a safe speed and abide by the posted speed limit.

https://www.gallaghertire.com/about/carlisle-st-faq

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

Maybe Ill just remove an axle so I can afford 4 of $200 tires.

I suppose these China Bombs are on these overloaded Car Haulers (Non CDL) I see on I70 in far left lane passing everything and making every pony earn its keep.  

I’m nearly convinced I should put money in quality tires.  It seems like any savings garnered from the China pops would only go against potential hospital bills. I’m looking at Nisaacs pics as I’m writing this.

• Staff

My trailer came with Maxxis D rated tires and ran them for 9 years replacing them due to age and I know the tire industry say to replace them every 5 years. 

The replacements are Maxxis D rated  and they have been on for 7 years and will be replaced after this trip because of age and they are worn to 4/32" tread left.  I've put about 20k miles on them in the last 3 years.

I always drive 65 or less and have never had a  problem with this brand of tire.

• Like 1

• Owner

IN 32 years of driving I've NEVER had an explosive tire failure... Don't get me wrong I've had flat tires where pick up a nail and slowly leak down. I'm very aware of what is going on around me and my vehicle and trailers. Most of my tires failures have sidewall rock cuts I've had most of them are unrepairable. Never have I shredded a tire with a violent explosive failure going down the pavement. I've ran everything from China Bomb on the truck to China Bombs on the trailer and still always worn them out.

• Like 1

I have had failures on semis before one of which was explosive.  New tire too not a cap.  Didn't sound like a stick of dynamite, sounded like a whole darn box.  So loud I nearly jumped hard enough to hit ceiling since it was a front drive tire.  And yes I bumped/checked tires every stop I made so came as a real surprise.  It was loud enough the car ahead of me stopped and was checking his tires.  I was approaching the Corvallis exit on I-5 and I was plenty far back from that rig.  It was not very funny but I was able to limp it off the freeway since I still had another good drive tire.  A few years ago I had an uncapped drive tire peel the tread off somewhere on 1-84.  Tire didn't blow but made plenty of racket so immediately knew something went sideways.  Waited a long time to get back on the road since that was kind of nowhereville.  Can't recall brand now but should have been pretty good tires.  Fairly sure the peeled one was a Goodyear since they always bought new tires even for the trailers and almost always Goodyear.

Russ just confirmed why you never see me hanging along side of a SEMI.  NOPE!   I only go around when there is a clear shot of getting around and with plenty of room SAFELY get far ahead from it and back in. Sometime in summer of 84 I was riding with an acquaintance on I77.  He was following a train of cars in the passing lane leaving us along side a Flatbed which had a blowout on the trailer, my side of course. A piece of tread left a big dent in my door and to say the noise is unnerving is an BIG understatement.  If I have anything to say or do about it, that was my first and last experience.  There’s a reason some trucks have signs where not to hang out.   Sage advice worth heeding in MHO.

I have never had a blow out but I have had up to 50% tread separation ( bulge on the tread ) when I noticed it. I did see one blow in front of me in the lane to the right and it stuck the split rim ring in the car door next to him along with blowing out the window. The tread glanced of the semi end dump box and sent it higher then the telephone poles into the other side of the freeway. I was past it by then so I don't know if it hit anyone.

For what it’s worth, No matter what people say, their is no bombs inside of tires, I’ve been transporting heavy construction equipment most of my career along with pulling tankers transporting everything from mag chloride to road oils and propane. One thing I have learned is most tire failures are human caused and I would say that about 90% of them. Under inflation is the most cause and mismatched tires either on the same axle or adjoining axle, is the next cause. mis aligned axes is another big one. It’s the heat generated by low tire pressure and uneven mismatched tires will generate excessive heat. Then the tire manufacturing compounds break down and the cords become separated and the next thing you know. Kaboom..

Specialized trailer tires are the worst being they can sit for long durations not being used and deflating themselves and getting weather checked, then put in service down a long hot highway by a driver that just kicked the tires and ready to go, I’m sure some of us are guilty of that.

All tires are stamped with a date code and not advisable to go 6-7 years into the life of a tire that does not see much use. especially one sitting out in the elements.

I know I’m just as guilty as anyone when It comes to abusing tires, that’s the first thing I do when I fire up the rig in the morning or night is beat on the tires with a stick and expect them to carry a 100,000 lb. plus rig all day. Im not knocking any tire manufacture, China or not., just give the tires a little TLC and change them out when any deforming begins and they will treat you right and not worry about innocent passer buyers getting shrapnel blown at them.  just my :2cents: 

• Like 2

Hi,

Question was asked what size axles I have.  I don't know for certain but would like to.

I bought this 1745364774_040809dwnloaddwyer094.JPG.bb95ebbd050e415ee54be8c91c9df2d1.JPGtrailer Homemade from a Welder who built it.

Axles have no tags. The wheels are 8x6.5, the axle shafts measure 3" in diameter, and there are 6 leaf springs.

With 8 bolt wheels and a 3" shaft it should be what?  Maybe 7.5K? I have no idea what the curb weight is.  Title states weight is

3K. and its  26' x 8'.  I will tell you there was no shortage of metal when it was made.

Wanted to give an update on the rims.  My 6 94 Dodge 3/4 Ton rims do fit so I can change out to 16" tires vice 16.5.  At least something is going right.

And yes, I know it needs a paint job.

Thanks.

Leaky

IMG_0488.jpeg

040809dwnloaddwyer 096.JPG

040809dwnloaddwyer 091.JPG

Most 8 bolt wheel axles are 6-7k with a 6 bolt on the 5200 lbs axle. All are 3" tubes, some may have a thicker tube wall. Do the other two axles have brakes? That's good the Dodge wheels will fit, my '01 is wrong for a trailer.

So, they are probably 7K maybe? Yes the other 2 axles have brakes, but for some reason the builder put brakes on the front and middle axle. I will verify it was those 2.  Any reason it would not be last 2? Or first and last?

I was really happy the rims fit so I can go to 16” tires.  16.5 are like looking for Hen’s teeth. 

Thanks Leaky

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure why guys say the 2nd gen wheels wont fit. They appear by at least a glance to have the same offset as the 16" trailer wheels on our 14k trailer.  I think the 3rd gen 17" wheels may also fit

may they are 6.5" back spacing  visually also look to be same or close back spacing as the 16" trailer wheels. 

With a 3 axle trailer I'm not even sure I'd worry much about the tires rating air them up till the sidewalls look good with whatever you haul and yank it around.

I run whatever comes of my pickup on the trailer. Just something round that's rubber

• 6 months later...

Don't want to start a new topic on trailer tires. My father in law just got a fishing boat, 02 Lund with 115 4 stroke Yamaha,  hoping will be a good boat for him. Spent last weekend working on wiring and little things. Then went on to check the trailer and found original good year tires with 5000 date code. So now I'm looking for tires. I put a set of carsile on my boat trailer last year, had a blow out on the way back from canada with original good years from 1996 :whistle2:, hey there was plenty of tread left :shifty:. Happened few hours away from home and a mile before fuel station. After some research, now I'm looking again and finding mix reviews, some say carsile are junk some say one of best. Problem is I need a D rated tire as his single trailer axle is 3500lb. My carsile are rated at 1360lb as my boat axle is 2500lb. Almost forgot, the size I'm looking for is 185/80/13 is what's on his trailer now, spear is 175/80/13 must be original also.

So now I'm looking at etrailer site kenda tires, anyone had any experience with them. I can't seem to find carsile in this size over 1360lb rating.

• Owner

Like my RV came with load range D's which was barely enough capacity to hold the GVWR of the trailer at max pressure. I upgrade to load range E's and the drop the tire pressure back down to 60 PSI of a max of 80 PSI. Now you have flex room and no have to worry about blow out. To this day I still not had a tire blow ever either on a vehicle or trailer!