• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Spitting and sputtering

My truck started acting up recently. While driving it will stall or die. I have 19 psi fuel pressure, the fuel filter is new, no codes. It starts fine and idles fine, but once I'm driving it will stall out for just a second and come back or completely die. If it dies, then it won't start again for anywhere from hours to days. Any help is appreciated. 

99 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l diesel

Here is a video of 6 times it stalled today.
https://youtu.be/jkYmQii0C4c

I cropped the video to just show the stalls. I can upload the whole thing. I am getting no codes with my obd2 scanner. I'm monitoring the fuel pressure with a gauge tapped into the fuel rail and had it under the wiper. Whenever it stalls the WTS comes on like I just turned the key on. The ABS and Brake light have been on since I purchased the truck but have never been an issue.

https://youtu.be/v1vHygPkOpQ Here is the full length if it helps any. I just cut out all of the in between driving for the shorter video.

When I am thinking "stall" i am thinking shutting down. I saw them WTS flash on and off 4 times while the engine was running. That seems odd to me but dont really know what it could mean. Maybe an ECM issue, just dont really know.

7 hours ago, dripley said:

When I am thinking "stall" i am thinking shutting down. I saw them WTS flash on and off 4 times while the engine was running. That seems odd to me but dont really know what it could mean. Maybe an ECM issue, just dont really know.

Yeah, it cuts out completely and that's what causes the wts to come on. You can hear it in the video.

7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

It's almost like a lose wire, I believe there is a relay in PDC for the pump, you can check that. 

Okay, I'll look into the relay. I've been chasing wires but haven't found anything loose yet.

It wouldn't be the IP would it?

1 hour ago, Duffamongus said:

It wouldn't be the IP would it?

Possible, sometimes the problem is in PSG on top of vp, with time solder crystallizes and causes loose connection. Some say you can run cold water over the computer when it attacks up and see if that helps. Sometimes they don't set codes and hard to troubleshoot. 

The ECM controls the WTS light. Could be in there also. I had an ECM failure but did not set a code for it either. 

When it dies for hours or days does the WTS light come on at key on. If its warm outside it will only light very briefly so watch closely. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, sorry I haven't responded in a while. Life got hectic and have been running about 4 hours of sleep a night.  I haven't had a chance to call ACS yet, hopefully this week. I have a crankshaft position sensor I'm going to replace this week and see how that helps. I have gotten no farther in figuring this one out yet though.