• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

98.5 QC seatbelts

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Wish I knew more about the difference between the early and late. The late system like my truck only have the seat belt switch in the latch. As for the early with the under the middle seat module, I've never even seen one yet. If there was a way to convert over to the latch light as the later series does that would be the best choice. 

I take the later trucks (gen2) still had the reel in the seat back but didn't have the pretensioner solenoid ? Or the module under middle seat ? Also does the later belt come out with ignition off ? As both my trucks need ignition on for belts to unreel. Thing is belt still locks on decel without solenoid as that part is just mechanical, hopefully wire up resistor tonight to check warning light

My 02's seatbelt will extend at any time, key on or off. And a new to me latch stopped my searbelt light from illuminating. I have never noticed the belt lock on deceleration but dont believe I pay that much attention to it. I do know on some bumpy that will lock as I seem to move around more in the seat on those type of roads.

Problem is the module under the centre seat needs to see a resistance in each seatbelt circuit, warning light comes on if it sees and open  (disconnected) or short ( both wires bridged together) Tonight I connected a 50ohm resistor across the 2 wires and the module puts the light on at key on/start as it should then does all the checks and puts the light off, so a 50ohm resistor works and fools the module into thinking the solenoid is connected and working so this would work on the original seat that has the solenoid missing, trouble is the resistor gets a little too hot for my liking, I did try and find a 12v relay to check ohms on that but I've only got 24v in my van so I'll check tomorrow at work for one, my other option is to pot the resistor into a heatsink, the next steps will depend on whether whitelightening can find a belt but I still think it's worth making a plug in box that will fool the module as wrecking yard belts won't last forever, this needs to be figured out as when the seatbelt light is on the airbag sysyem is disabled AFAIK.

The seatbelt works fine with no solenoid it's just the module has a ball bearing inside that if the truck is over a certain angle or upside down it makes a connection and the solenoids tension the belts

6 hours ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Got an email from pick-n-pull this morning and they are having a memorial day sale so I went junk yard dogging and picked you up a passenger side seat belt from a 99 for $10.

Wow that was quick. Thank you. I've sent you a message for shipping and payment 

Hi thats the best I can say is right,  my belt has no solenoid so I have to take the chance this is correct, It looks right to me, I will take all responsability  no problem... please go ahead and figure out a total cost  and I'll PP

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I recieved this from whitelightening maybe 2 months ago but since I had the seats out of my 3500 fitted and it had passed it's yearly i've only just found the time to sort this out, I fitted the belt reel to my original seat and fitted it back in the truck, drivers side was at the time still the leather seat out of my 3500, warning light out and reels working good, refitted the original drivers seat and all ok, over a few days I noticed that the seatbelt warning light would come on intermittantly and then go out and be fine for a while then come on again so I checked ohms on the drivers seat, on this there is 4 wires not 2 which after seeing the passenger side complete from whitelightening was a little confusing as pass side is 1 solenoid, 2 wires, so I pulled the drivers cover and there are 2 solenoids one top, one bottom of the reel, PO or should I say PAO had butchered the lower solenoid and the casing was not attached to the reel but not open circuit, so I got that fixed and all aligned to work and checked the top which ohmed ok, but after scratching head and a beer or 2 and several key on checks bingo open circuit on the top solenoid, check it again all ok.

If the seatbelt module sees a fault it puts the warning on and disables the abs, now my question to Dodge is WHY when they used the cheapest made in god knows where solenoids, I asked earlier in this thread if anyone knew what the noids were like with a view to replacement, well I can answer that, they are absolute junk and by the time you got them out of the plastic housing it would be for the bin..... Million mile motor in a 50k electrical system.

If I lived in the USA I'd be scouring yards buying electrical parts and piling them high to sell later

and much thanks to whitelightening who has agreed to find this peice

20190707_145851[1].jpg

Edited by wil440
  • Like 1