• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mechanical lift pump

@01cummins4ever how does that Quad XZT do with the RV275's? I found one used i couldn't pass up and should have it Mon-Tues. Figured i could use it for a year or so and save up for an Adrenaline, converter, and valve body. Hopefully I'm done spending money fixing problems and can save for fun stuff now.

I like the quad xzt a lot. I can’t compare it to the other canned tuners being it’s the only one I’ve had, If gives a nice little boost of power paired with the 275’s. It pretty much lives on level 2 with just normal driving, but use level 3 when pulling the 5ver and other equipment.  Well worth the money imho.

I will be ditching the hy35 in the near future, and going with the hx35, it should allow me to hammer down a little more on the hills pulling a load without killing the egt’s

The Fuel Boss was waiting for me Thursday when i got home from work. Had it installed and running that evening. I went mechanical only. I hit the local Parker store and got 2 M12x1.50 to 6 jic fittings and 2 push lock 6 jic 90's. Got a push lock gauge T from Amazon and had enough hose in the Glacier kit to make a line between the filter and VP44. Fired the truck up before replacing the filter to VP line. Fuel pressure was right at 17psi. Replaced the filter to VP line next. Was fighting dark and forgot to refill filter housing with diesel before starting truck. Truck started and ran for about 30 seconds then died. After 30 seconds of cranking truck fired and stayed running. I was shocked I didnt have to bleed the lines.  After a couple days of driving fuel pressure is right at 17 psi at idle. 

The first 30 seconds of running did most of the priming.  That pump moves so much fuel at such a low rpm that the last 30 seconds topped it off.  I went straight mechanical too...much easier and saved $50.  You should hit around 19 psi when you get on the gas...which is perfect. 

Sounds just right.  Yeah you'll be happy to do away with the electrics.  I'm at 18 idle and 20 when I get on it a bit so pretty much the same as you.  Those belts are good for 50k mile change intervals so you shouldn't have to address it again for a while.  I carry an extra belt in the truck just in case but I suppose I won't ever need it. 

• Thanks 1

I have a smaller tool box that I filled with random tools I had laying around, been in the truck for about 4 years now, used it few times and it was never for myself. Not saying that one day I won't need it, in fact the reason I put it in the back in the first place is because I was in the pinch one time and it would have been nice to have tools and tire plugs, along with an air compressor. Oh well others can benefit from it for now, maybe someday it will come in handy, but I hope not. 

Best thing to do is preventive maintenance and check things thoroughly every so often,  then that leaves you big items like vp, water pump, alternator, any pulley that is spinning...etc. you just can't have enough parts to drive around with. 

But a basic tool kit that is nice to have for peace of mind, it's just where do you draw the line what to carry on board. Guns and cash will solve most of the problems :gun: :spend:

• Like 3

Thats why I use 50 cal ammo cans. I'm a mechanic and hate other people touching my cars. I can fit basic tools needed, waterproof, compact. Having a spare belt for fuel pump is useless if I don't even have a 1/2" wrench to change it with. I have an onboard air system I swapped over from my old truck and i keep an old 1/2" impact and socket for lug nuts in truck now. I was towing a buddies car and had a blowout on my trailer a couple years ago and we had the tire changed in 4 minutes in the mud on the side of 65 North. 

We got a few looks dragging this thing behind my old gasser.

20171111_131010.jpg

20171111_131023.jpg

• Like 1

my only recommendation when ordering a fuel boss, or shortly there after, is order a spare lower pulley. mine has dried out ( and being a fiberous material) and has started to seperate the belt retaining edge.

it hasnt fallen off completely, but about 50% is not attached.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gregturley said:

Thats why I use 50 cal ammo cans. I'm a mechanic and hate other people touching my cars. I can fit basic tools needed, waterproof, compact. Having a spare belt for fuel pump is useless if I don't even have a 1/2" wrench to change it with. I have an onboard air system I swapped over from my old truck and i keep an old 1/2" impact and socket for lug nuts in truck now. I was towing a buddies car and had a blowout on my trailer a couple years ago and we had the tire changed in 4 minutes in the mud on the side of 65 North. 

We got a few looks dragging this thing behind my old gasser.

20171111_131010.jpg

20171111_131023.jpg

Nice Ferrari!  Is that a Maranello? 

It belongs to my buddy. If i remember its a 1995 F355. Its a beautiful car but I'm not really up on my imports. I've only seen it twice, haven't even got to hear it run yet. Hoping to get to drive it this summer. That thing was about 1" narrower than my trailer rails and we loaded it, not running and on an uphill slope, to take to a shop in Indianapolis for timing belt replacement and exhaust install. I was supposed to get to help drive it home but the shop delivered it for him. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gregturley said:

@Stormin08 How long did you you have the Fuel Boss on before the pulley started to come apart?

honestly i cannot recall, i did the install back in 2014, and noticed it some years later when changing the serpentine belt. 

that also is the only down side, you must remove the fuel boss belt to service the serpentine...that is also a down side....serpentine breaks, you loose the fuel boss belt.

• Thanks 1

A serpentine belt breaking is usually caused by some other problem and really is rare. Normal repairs I usually just let the belt hang off to the side so to me thats not that big of a deal. The pulley falling apart you spoke of is something I'll keep an eye on. Thanks for the heads up. I had a Moroso belt drive water pump kit that used the same style pulleys and belt on one of my old hot rods. It was on there 10-12 years with no problems. I hope to have the same luck with the Fuel Boss parts.

From what I was told by Glacier Diesel and what I've read it can be installed with any electric lift pump. You just have to get the correct fittings. I'm new to the Fuel Boss though and would call Glacier. I'd bet you're not the first to do it.

1 hour ago, gipperkid said:

Could the Fuel Boss be installed on a truck that has a FASS system on it? Using the HOBBS would shut the FASS off after the engine was started.

Yes...the standard kit comes with a Hobbs switch and the necessary fittings to plumb it in with the stock Carter pump in it's stock location as a backup and fuel filter housing primer.  But I found it not necessary to have a backup or need help with priming.  It's a solid setup on its own.