• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mechanical lift pump

1 minute ago, Stormin08 said:

mine has the factory filter, FASS DDRP, 3/8 lines from stock hard line up, and the fuel boss...i only bump the fass occasionally to keep it working. 

Did you mean to check and see if it's still working? :wink:

• Thanks 1

• Owner
On 5/4/2019 at 5:29 AM, Stormin08 said:

Dont worry about the HIGH PSI issues most speak of, that is an issue when CRANKING, not idling or running,

Rare but does happen to get above 20 PSI of fuel pressure and push the front seal out of the VP44 dumping fuel in the crankcase. Remember the return port on the VP44 is much much smaller than the supply hole. 

Return in on the left and supply is on the right.

Image result for mopar1973man vp44 fuel ports

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Stormin08 said:

The assassin has been around, a few older trucks have run them....they have / had horrible customer service whereas GDP will answer phone/emails on sundays within a matter of minutes.

I was gonna say the exact same thing but since DAP sells it and is a vendor here I bit my tongue...or fingers since I'm typing. 

I have to say as of now i am completely happy with the Fuel Boss. Truck starts great with no electric pump, fuel pressure has settled in at 16 at idle 18 at cruising speed. I really have no idea why more people don't run mechanical pumps. After using a bunch of different electric fuel pumps on drag cars and street driven hot rods I knew I didn't want one on the diesel.

I wonder the same.  I figured since the mechanicals didn't come out til later and everyone had already spent a wod on upgrading to pre-mechanical electrics like FASS, Air Dog, etc, that they were reluctant to fork it out again.

It's hard to find bad press about the fuel boss...most problems I ran across while researching were due to faulty installation.  I'm a very happy customer as well! 

38 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

I have to say as of now i am completely happy with the Fuel Boss. Truck starts great with no electric pump, fuel pressure has settled in at 16 at idle 18 at cruising speed. I really have no idea why more people don't run mechanical pumps. After using a bunch of different electric fuel pumps on drag cars and street driven hot rods I knew I didn't want one on the diesel.

I have the fuel boss as well for 20,000 miles and it has been flawless besides one hiccup. The smallest piece of debris can keep the check valve open on the return line and then the fuel flows without any restriction, and your pressure drops. This issue has been alleviated by installing a fuel STRAINER on the feed line made by fleet guard, not a fuel filter, but a strainer to catch the larger material. If you happen to get any dirty fuel it can be a pain to get fully cleaned out and back to normal 17-20 fuel pressure. 

• Owner

I cleared over 250k miles on my first AirDog 150. 

Second replacement 3G pump lasted barely 15k miles.

Third, now got a 4G pump and the AirDog is rock solid again.

I would consider a mechanical pump only if the pump can with a prefilter and 3um main filter like an AirDog. Then keep an electric priming pump. So many times I have seen old mechanical 1st Gens and 2nd Gen with broken primer. Nearly insane to get started again without the primer pump.

• 3 weeks later...

I put a glacier diesel fuel boss on my 1998.5 dodge back in 2013, truck had 170,000 then. Truck has 400,000 now. 

It's been a great pump, no problems. I installed my direct, skipped the stock lift pump as a backup. Simpler to install, less fussing around. 

First belt (the one I put on it at installation) lasted 130,000 miles. I remember Richard telling me the belts are good for 50-60,000 miles. I just ran it to see how long I could get out of it. It broke coming up the road to my house, put the spare belt on it that I bought with the kit, it's been on there ever since. 

It's been a great system. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the Fuel Boss, from Glacier. Richard is a great guy to converse with, very helpful and not in the least pushy.

Also waiting on the stock Cummins lift pump from Richard. 

Earlier I had purchased a Carter from NAPA, and my Quadzilla showed 10lbs psi the first day, and a couple of days later 5lbs down to 0lbs. 

Followed by an install of the FB, she’s running at 15lbs, which also showed me that the vp44 pressure tap was giving a correct pressure reading. 

Only question I have is I thought Glacier didn’t recommend a pre-filter. Puts to much strain on the unit.