• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

dipstick differences?

guys my engine is a 1994, i hadn't really paid much attention to the dipstick until i was looking at my 97 parts tuck this am. the dipstick in my 1994 is part #3926194. it has a 1" rubber hose extending the dipstick tube an extra inch. my 97 dipstick #3923128 slides over the stock tube and creates a tight seal, the 94 kind of just butt's up against the rubber hose... not the best setup in my eyes.  side by side comparison the 97 stick is about an inch longer, which might make sense as to why my 94 has a 1" rubber extension there to space it out? the safe zone on the 97 is also about double the length. it was showing full or just a hair under full on the 94, its showing a hair or 2 over full now that i have the 97 stick in it. i guess what im asking is, am i fine using the 97 stick?

I really don’t know the differences in dip sticks, but I have had a situation my 01 with the handle breaking off, it’s happened twice, it keeps getting shorter as I fix it. The Problem is my dip stick part number is obsolete and have to go after market for the price of close to $100.00. Ya, I don’t think so. My fix was when I changed the oil, I filled with the correct 12 quarts ran it for a few minutes then made my own marks on the stick.  Kind of a ghetto fix but works for now  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

I really don’t know the differences in dip sticks, but I have had a situation my 01 with the handle breaking off, it’s happened twice, it keeps getting shorter as I fix it. The Problem is my dip stick part number is obsolete and have to go after market for the price of close to $100.00. Ya, I don’t think so. My fix was when I changed the oil, I filled with the correct 12 quarts ran it for a few minutes then made my own marks on the stick.  Kind of a ghetto fix but works for now  

11 quarts gets mine to the full mark. Never used 12.

16 hours ago, dripley said:

11 quarts gets mine to the full mark. Never used 12.

You are probably right dropley, 12 quarts is probably a completely drained and dry engine, I was just gong off what the manual said. But before my stick broke I would by 3 gallons for an oil change and always have a quart left over.

i just changed the oil about 2 weeks ago. never really paid attention to the amount i just bought a 5 gallon jug and filled it up until it said full on the stick. i have the newer 97 stick on the engine now. hopefully all is well because its showing slightly above full on that stick

• 4 months later...